Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

exploder wrote: If you want to blame someone for my negative attitude with Windows 10 blame Clem because LMDE 2 Cinnamon with Cinnamon 2.6 totally blows Windows 10 away! :D

Yes Clem has spoiled the whole lot of us. :lol:

oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oxygenfarm »

craig10x wrote:And Windows 10 uses less ram too...When i ran 7, it used about 2gb of my 4 gb of ram on my laptop....Windows 8 used about 1.7 and Windows 10 even less at around 1.4
My ubuntu w/unity usually runs around 1 gb, so it has really been coming down quite a bit... :wink:

Actually, i think Windows 10 looks kind of attractive and it is nice to have the start menu back...
I've been playing with an eeePC 1005 and find that Mint 17.1 xfce uses .214 gb, while Puppy Tahr uses .255 and eOS uses .474.

3mutts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 3mutts »

Ark987 wrote:
3mutts wrote:^ To show how light Win10 is compared to other releases here is one of the PCs I'm running the Preview on:

Dell Latitude D610 (2006)
Intel Pentium M 1.87 GHz (SINGLE CORE)
2GB of RAM
60GB HDD (5400 RPM, IDE)
Intel GMA 900 Graphics (the only thing that does not have a driver, but it never had drivers since Vista [Not WDDM compatible])

This PC is literally the bottom of the barrel of what Win10 will run on (the only thing that you can change is to have 1GB of RAM instead of 2) and it is actually usable (not a speed demon but not painfully slow either). I don't think this PC could run 7 as well let alone Vista.

Some other PCs I got the TP to boot on:

Dell Optiplex GX280 (Impressed by this!)
Dell Optiplex GX620 (only 32bit sadly [the CPU is 64bit but does not support the features to run 64bit Windows])
Dell Optiplex GX520
Emachines (cant remember the model but it is old [AMD Sempron 3100+])
Dell Latitude D630 (not surprising since it is a Core2 Duo)
HP Pavilion DV7 1132nr
Dell Dimension E521
Wow are you running the preview on all those machines? How is it a Core 2 Duo machine? Is 2 GB of RAM enough?

I've just migrated one old laptop to LM17 but running Terraria is a PITA on Wine, if the developer does not deliver a Linux version and Windows 10 license turn out to be that attractive (a-life-time-transferable-license) more likely that one will go back to its roots.
No not at all, I just booted the installer (which is based on Windows 8 or 10 PE) to make sure the CPUs were supported (the main issue upgrading old machines since Windows 10 requires PAE, NX Bit, SSE2 features old Pentium 4's don't have) I did run Windows 10 on the Emachines, the Dell Dimension E521, and the HP Pavilion DV7 1132nr. A Core2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM is more then enough (like I said I got it to run on single core CPUs and the Emachines only had 1GB of RAM). Anything made in the Core2/Vista era should run Windows 10 just fine (even late XP machines will {late 2004-late 2006 time frame}).

Windows 10 flies on my Dell Dimension E521 here are the specs:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+
2GB of RAM
Nvidia 7300LE
80GB HDD (7200 RPM)

One thing I recommend you upgrade is the HDD, Windows 10 performs ALOT better with a 7200RPM HDD or a SSD than a 5400RPM HDD (they are slow for EVERY thing). I upgraded the HP Pavilion to a SSD and that machines feels like a brand new computer (its from 2008!) compared to before. The only thing I would worry about is drivers (as long as your machine has Vista drivers you should be fine). Also just so you know the Latitude D610 runs well enough that it is one of the laptops I bring with me (the other is a Acer C720P running Fedora) and use on a regular basis, guess that makes me the geekiest person in school by having a 10 year old laptop running a Windows beta...

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

"No not at all, I just booted the installer (which is based on Windows 8 or 10 PE) to make sure the CPUs were supported (the main issue upgrading old machines since Windows 10 requires PAE, NX Bit, SSE2 features old Pentium 4's don't have)"

that VTx requirement will lock out a lot of older PCs - which is probably quite deliberate.

- it's also surprising just how many Vista PCs will run it - even though they will not get the "Free" upgrade.
this is one group of OPs that should have got an upgrade - for free .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

How many Vista owners are there though? I have not seen a PC running Vista in real life since like 2011.

vl1969
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vl1969 »

Don't know how you manage not to see Vista pcs. I have seen 5 already and 3 of them at my office.

Sent from my phone

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic wrote:How many Vista owners are there though? I have not seen a PC running Vista in real life since like 2011.
A lappy I just got was running Vista (now safe and sound in a VM :) ) I've seen about a dozen more.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re:

Post by z31fanatic »

vl1969 wrote:Don't know how you manage not to see Vista pcs. I have seen 5 already and 3 of them at my office.

Sent from my phone
None of the people I know have Vista or older. It's all 7 or 8.1. The schools I have been in have either 7 or 8.1. The only time I have seen anything older than 7 in the last 3 years was at a hotel where they were still running XP on their computers.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Well - Finally got it working in a VB

and it's very slow ..
- 2Gb cpu
- 2Gb ram
- 50Gb V/hdd

the basic install uses 7Gb.

1st thing - install Firefox
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

2nd thing...install Malwarebytes & Security Essentials

3rd thing...return to Linux and feel relieved (like when you wake up after a terrible nightmare to a sunny morning). 8)

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it's enclosed in a VirtualBox
8)

and therefore is very temporary in it's existence.
:lol:

- zilch security is needed. ..

And after Just One Hour of use:
- a poor combo of win-7 & win-8
:cry:
not overly impress with it. ..
- spent too long on Linux O/Ss
:D

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

mintybits wrote:2nd thing...install Malwarebytes & Security Essentials
3rd thing: Your RAM is full, starting Firefox takes ages, your system lag... You have time to think about moving to Linux :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re:

Post by killer de bug »

vl1969 wrote:Don't know how you manage not to see Vista pcs.
I must admit that I have not seen Vista since a while also. I left Vista in December 2009 and since then I have since it only once. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

4th thing: it tells you to reboot. You obey. As it shuts down it announces: "Installing update 1 of 666. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER! (You pathetic non-entity whose time and inconvenience are worth nothing to Microsoft)".
At this point, I always pull the plug out of the wall. That saves me loads of time!

mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

5th thing: Go to the forums and tell everyone how terrible Windows 10 is! :lol:

After Windows 10, coming to Linux feels like walking in from outside on a hot day. :D

Updates when I want (not when MS wants), reasonable loading times, customizability, an interface that actually looks good... cool and refreshing like Mint. :mrgreen:

mrdachshund86

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

Well, I am feeling a little guilty about getting excited over Windows 10 on July 29th. It has been a long time since I started using Windows 7 so this is a big event. I have tried the technical preview in Vbox and it looks like WIn7 with more icons. MS seems to have made the settings more convenient by putting them in one place. The networking system is just as bizarre as before as far as I can see. I confess I have always found Windows networking to be problematic...is it just me? If it weren't free I definitely wouldn't bother. Seeing as it is...I'm excited to start using it.

I think Linux needs something big going on at the same time so I have a Linux release to get even more excited about than Windows 10. Then again, every time I have to use Windows or help someone else out with Windows I get really excited about returning to linux. :P

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

mintybits wrote:Well, I am feeling a little guilty about getting excited over Windows 10 on July 29th. It has been a long time since I started using Windows 7 so this is a big event. I have tried the technical preview in Vbox and it looks like WIn7 with more icons. MS seems to have made the settings more convenient by putting them in one place. The networking system is just as bizarre as before as far as I can see. I confess I have always found Windows networking to be problematic...is it just me? If it weren't free I definitely wouldn't bother. Seeing as it is...I'm excited to start using it.

I think Linux needs something big going on at the same time so I have a Linux release to get even more excited about than Windows 10. Then again, every time I have to use Windows or help someone else out with Windows I get really excited about returning to linux. :P
It's funny how two people can use the same software and come to different conclusions.

If by networking you mean smb / samba file sharing I found just the opposite to be true. Win10 added mdns support so this changes everything and makes most of the samba howto's obsolete - at least for the home lan.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

altair4 wrote:It's funny how two people can use the same software and come to different conclusions.
I'll look forward to the improvement you mention but I haven't been able to make networking work yet...I am stuck (as I often am) at the "Enter network credentials" stage wherein my credentials are rejected. I come across this a lot with Windows and my understanding of what it is trying to accomplish is too poor to motivate me to try to debug it. With Linux, things just work IME. With Windows, it is often a battle of wills, IME.

mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Microsoft is beginning their Windows 10 ad campaign today.

Article:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... -campaign/

And here's a little taste of their ad campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu6vmNz-PhE

mrdachshund86

Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 »

More news:

I was surprised about this post, coming from a die hard MS tech guy:
https://4sysops.com/archives/windows-10 ... on-or-not/

And..... TaDa!!!! Windows 10 Lifecycle, looks like customers were victim of false advertisement... again? What happen after 14/Oct/2025?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle

Edit: I almost forgot... someone told me to read the small letters, I won't fail again :roll: !
** Updates are cumulative, with each update built upon all of the updates that preceded it. A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported. Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period. Update availability may vary, for example by country, region, network connectivity, mobile operator (e.g., for cellular-capable devices), or hardware capabilities (including, e.g., free disk space).

Return to “Open chat”