Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows 10 to be free upgarde

Post by Pierre » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:45 am

"Regionally, the United States is a PC market in crisis. With the exception of a slight 2 percent gain in third quarter 2011,
shipments fell for 10 consecutive quarters. In Q1, 12.7 percent year over year but stunning 18.3 percent sequentially.
Shipments fell for the top-four vendors, with Lenovo, which gained 13 percent, the exception."

and that's just in America, - what about the rest of the western world?.
today - that's probably closer to 15 straight quarters of decline. ..

Windows_8 certainly contributed to that decline, no doubt about that.
so - even if windows_10 is to be free for the first year of it's release,
PC sales are down, and may well stay down, overall,
with windows_10 only slowing the decline of any PC sales.
- there is no way that windows_10 will be able to reverse that decline.

Finally:
"The biggest thing that was reinforced by yesterday's keynote isn't anywhere near so sexy as HoloLens,
but it is crucial for Microsoft's future. - Everything Microsoft does will now be universal.
The idea is that everything can work on every device.
And specifically that means apps, apps, apps, from developers, developers, developers. "

- they haven't moved that far away from the big changes brought by windows_8,
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:04 am

Hello Pierre - What you said is absolutely true, the PC market was in a gradual decline for quite some time prior to the introduction of Windows 8. Unfortunately, Steve Ballmer missed the opportunity to throw the PC manufacturers a lifejacket and threw them the ship's anchor instead. :lol:
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:25 am

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/mac-so ... ource=t.co
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

SandsOfArrakis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SandsOfArrakis » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:25 am

I for one will upgrade my Windows laptop to version 10 when it gets released. It came with Windows 7. And when Windows 8 was released 2 months after I bought the laptop, I was able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for 39 euro's. Since then the 8.1 upgrade was free, and now 10 will be free as well.

My main laptop runs very happily on Mint, and it stays that way too. Even though I also have a Windows 8.1 Pro license for that one.

When it comes to the PC market's decline. That was to be expected. When I look at my nieces, I gave them an old laptop of mine with Windows 7 on it. But ever since the oldest 2 got a tablet, they prefer to use those instead. The laptop barely gets turned on anymore. And it's my believe that trend will continue. The PC is quicky turning out to be a dinosaur of the past I think. I've just retired my last big PC after nearly 7 years of use. And I'm down to 2 laptops and an el cheapo tablet.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:08 am

I will install Windows 10 but only if Micorsoft pays me for this.
0 euros for Windows 10, it's still too expensive. :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

tuxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tuxer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Simply put. I love computers and technology in general. Of course Linux is my favorite OS but I also still use Windows. I might even install PC-BSD on one computer I have laying around, still a good computer but my primary one is much better.

While I dojn't like MS itself for various reasons I will probably give Windows 10 a try if it is free and I can download an ISO of it. No sense in trying it if I have to reinstall Windows after their offer ends and can't get it. If I don't like Windows 10 I will just reinstall Windows 7 and keep using that until the security updates end. I am in Linux mostly now anyways so I am not too worried. 8, 8.1 just sucks. Same reason why I first gave up on Gnome 3, (thank the penguin god for Cinnamon and Mate.) My desktop PC is NOT a tablet or phone and should not be treated as such.

But I do have major trust issues with MS. So I have to wonder what their end game is with giving it away for free. If it is what we all think it might be or if they have other motives.

As far as PC sales dropping I really think MS had something to do with that but one thing people miss is we had a shift in technology with tablets and smartphones. I think that had more to do with it. However for those that said the Desktop PC was dead, well not quite and I doubt it ever will be. I have a tablet, Samsung phone, a laptop I am fixing (hard drive issues) and quad core 64bit desktop PC and a 32bit PC. I would have even more if I could afford it. Each device may overlap with what it can do but each one still has its own purposes. I sometimes think MS screwed up 8 on purpose, to push people to tablets, phones with their OS on it. If so than damn, that really backfired on them but helped Android and even Linux a lot.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Derek_S wrote:In my opinion, making Windows 10 a freebie for current Windows users is just Microsoft's way of making amends for Windows 8/8.1, which was the worst received Windows OS in recent history and claimed by some to be the major cause of the precipitous drop in PC sales in the first quarter of 2013***. It's their way of saying "We're really sorry for putting everybody through that mess, please give us another chance to make it right."
Millennium, Vista, 8
Thrice bitten--forever shy

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

We only have one Windows machine in the house, my Wife's gaming rig that runs Windows 7. My Wife might like the free upgrade! Windows 8 and 8.1 were not well received. Windows ME and Vista are in that same group as well. I have read reports that people are loosing confidence in Microsoft's updates after a few disastrous updates reeked havoc on many users computers! Guess it was kind of stupid of Microsoft for laying off 25% of their employees!

Microsoft has to do something to build back confidence in their work and this certainly could help. Most people thought that Windows 98 should have been a free upgrade rather than a separate release. We all know that most everyone was disappointed with Windows 8 and it got nothing but bad press. The factory I work for said they would stay with Windows 7 and removed 8 from newly purchased computers.

Microsoft is starting to realize they have to change their business model if they wish to stay relevant in today's world. Android, Linux and Apple have all gained a lot of market share. Microsoft now has to build software that is cross platform if they want to make a profit. No one wants a Windows phone, Android and Apple took that market and the same will happen with computers and laptops. Chrome Books are even doing very well, more and more manufacturers are offering them.

Microsoft is trying to build public trust.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:05 am

tuxer wrote: I will probably give Windows 10 a try if it is free and I can download an ISO of it. No sense in trying it if I have to reinstall Windows after their offer ends and can't get it.
I just downloaded the "technical preview" ISO and clean installed it in Vbox and it seems to be working fine. No need for a previous Windows install.
Looks ok on the face of it...like W7 with a few tiles thrown in to the menu, explicit cloud access, better organised.
Nadella is a sly one and wants me to "love" his offering but I shall try not to fall blindly for his seduction even as he whispers the magic words in my ears: "no charge". :wink:

tuxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tuxer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:46 pm

mintybits wrote:
tuxer wrote: I will probably give Windows 10 a try if it is free and I can download an ISO of it. No sense in trying it if I have to reinstall Windows after their offer ends and can't get it.
I just downloaded the "technical preview" ISO and clean installed it in Vbox and it seems to be working fine. No need for a previous Windows install.
Looks ok on the face of it...like W7 with a few tiles thrown in to the menu, explicit cloud access, better organised.
Nadella is a sly one and wants me to "love" his offering but I shall try not to fall blindly for his seduction even as he whispers the magic words in my ears: "no charge". :wink:
I am very skepitcal as well. But stranger things have happened I guess, but this is MS, lol. I should check out the tech preview, of course in Vbox as well. Funny I get excited about a few Linux distros new releases. But I am never excited with MS releases.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:13 pm

What happens if you should need to re-install Windows 10 some time down the road after the free upgrade?
- My guess is that after a year you would have to buy it.

tuxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tuxer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 pm

exploder wrote:What happens if you should need to re-install Windows 10 some time down the road after the free upgrade?
I was wondering the same thing. No doubt you would have to buy it if it needed to be reinstalled after the year. This is MS after all.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:29 pm

There is a revenue plan--you can bet on it.

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:33 pm

tuxer wrote:
exploder wrote:What happens if you should need to re-install Windows 10 some time down the road after the free upgrade?
I was wondering the same thing. No doubt you would have to buy it if it needed to be reinstalled after the year. This is MS after all.
If it's like my upgrade from Win7 Starter to Home premium, If I have to re-install [usually about every 18mths do to system slowdowns] I reinstall Win7 Starter then use the New upgrade key I bought for Home Premium to download and update the new install.

But I think it will be like office 360, where after the "free" year you rent it by paying a monthly or yearly fee to get updates.
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-17.1: KDE)

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Just wondering---if one "upgrades" from win7 to Win10---and if they just hate it--can that person "revert" or "retrograde" back?
- Will they have to re-activate?

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:26 am

all41 wrote:Just wondering---if one "upgrades" from win7 to Win10---and if they just hate it--can that person "revert" or "retrograde" back?
- Will they have to re-activate?
they would have to presumably re-install & re-activate.
:roll:

tuxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tuxer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Here is a thought. Isn't there a way you can create restore disks/iso's with newer versions of windows? I never used that feature and I won't be on my Windows OS for awhile to check. If so once it is installed you can make back up copies. But as mentioned would a user be able to reactivate it again after that year is up.
Last edited by tuxer on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Yes that can. You can also use clone software to make a copy
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

doob9911
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doob9911 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 pm

As for price, nothing changed. Just one year free upgrade is useless because pc has life time.
I thought MS will give real free license for home and small business and add fee for other feature like bitlocker.
MS still wants money for dying OS.

Bad Boy Bubby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bad Boy Bubby » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:01 am

A little more news on this subject today on the bbc website

Apparently even if you have a pirated copy in china you get the free upgrade - Microsoft has a long term plan I think.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31940716
Running Linux Mint 17 KDE 64bit
Steam for Linux - Counterstike, Source and GO are my main games
Nvidia 750ti
Intel i5 Processor

Return to “Open chat”