Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

@craig10x
By the way...ajcardiac...I am a little confused...so you can't just add an additional 10% of zoom to the normal view on the Edge Browser?
You mentioned it started at 10%...so that why I was wondering...
I can confirm 110% is not available, it's the 2 nearest settings are 100% and 125%.

If you are looking through a strong telescope, the minimum setting is 10%
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks, AJ....if you wouldn't mind...can you just check one more thing...In Internet Explorer I read that you can make the font size larger by hitting the "alt" and the "v" key...I did that, and indeed a menu comes up that includes selecting text size (larger or smaller)...you can't set it to a specific size but there is an option of "larger" and "largest"...I was wondering if you could try that with Edge and see if it brings up those type of options...
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

Yep, next time I load it up.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I have a few questions for those of you who are currently running the windows 10 preview:
At this point, are you finding that: 1) It is running stable and reliable enough to use as a main system? 2) That the updates are smooth and not causing problems?

Would appreciate your input :wink: Thanks :D
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I am currently dual booting with Win 10 preview build 10162, and it is getting much better. I would still wait for the final RTM before you use it as a Main system as you asked, updates are still a bit quirky, by that I mean there is not as much control as has been in the past. They are set to auto download, and sometimes slow things down when you are doing something else, or I find the desktop will blink as updates install, or my mouse will freeze for a couple seconds, or I click on the start button and nothing happens. All of these things have been reported. But, if you think this is bad, you should have seen Win 10 last month. It was a bug fest.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

I am running a win 8.1 and have no issue with updates. Or even the system itself. Grunted that it takes some time to get used to the new way of doing things, but not that much time. It took me about a week to get upto speed and if I encounter something new I Google, search help or both. Usually it takes me less than 5 min to find a solution or howto. As a side note, I run windows at work. Most pc in the office are win 7, about 3 run win 8, one of them is mine. Home all machines are linux mint and I am building out a new vm server on centos7 and ovirt. As I am not a linux pro it takes a lot of time, research and reading to get it working, but I suspect it would take me not that much less of time if I went with windows for this project, but cost would be lots more.

Sent from my phone
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

...and it is getting much better.
The million dollar question is, will it be better than both Windows 7 and Windows 8 by July 29th. Microsoft is billing Windows 10 as an upgrade, so it better be better than what users had with 7 or 8, or Microsoft could very well be in a PR disaster to end all PR disasters. It doesn't help that Microsoft already doesn't get much love, so for their sake, the rollout had better be smooth.
Crewp wrote:They are set to auto download, and sometimes slow things down when you are doing something else, or I find the desktop will blink as updates install, or my mouse will freeze for a couple seconds, or I click on the start button and nothing happens.
Issues like this a very beta-y quality to them. While of course, it is still beta, with only 21 days to go, the fact that there are issues like this should be very concerning to MS engineers.

Has the interface changed much in the past two months? I think I left back in April, since it was clear that Win 10 was not for me, and I remember the interface being very flat, and not very customizable. I can live with flat, but I cannot live with uncustomizable.

mrdachshund86
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Has the interface changed much in the past two months? I think I left back in April, since it was clear that Win 10 was not for me, and I remember the interface being very flat, and not very customizable. I can live with flat, but I cannot live with uncustomizable.
It hasn't changed much, I am not a Windows fan by any means, I only keep it for one reason, and that is to upgrade my Garmin GPS. There is no work around in Linux for this.( I have tried everything) Otherwise I would delete it and get a lot of disk space back. I joined the MS Insider program only because I like playing around with beta software, you really learn a lot. That said, I use Linux all the time, and only open windows when there is a upgrade to my GPS. I think Win 10 is a mix of win 7 and win 8 ( More 8 than 7 though ) I think Cortana has potential for the future, I find Edge is not that much better than IE. Install is painfully slow. I would not want this as a main OS on my PC.
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

The builds are becoming more stable with time.

I am running 10162 on 3 desktops and 2 laptops in multiboot.

I have had an issue with 10130 not finding updates on 3 of the machines (either clean installed, or mount ISO and use setup to bypass).

I would say it is stable enough to run as a primary windows system.

My only problem at the moment is Comodo Firewall Free causing BSD (uninstalled for now).

I have registered my test laptop to upgrade from 7SP1 to 10 before deciding what to do with the other systems (+ 2* children's laptops).
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks guys...i have a licensed version of windows 7 installed and registered for the 10 upgrade....However, i read that only the insiders will get it on the 29th...and for the rest it is going to be rolled out in waves...and since i registered for it about month after it started, i would imagine i won't get the upgrade until the end of summer :roll:

So, what i had been thinking of doing is upgrading now with the windows insider program from my licensed "7" so that i can start working with it now and see how i like "10" and if i like, then i should be getting the upgrade to the final version on the 29th (thus getting it so much sooner)...

That is why i was wondering if it was stable enough at this point, to use as a day to day system for regular stuff :wink:
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

craig10x, Just be aware that you cannot revert back to Win 7 in case you don't like it, so make sure you back up important files, and have a copy of your original win 7, otherwise good luck. :)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks Crewp :D
I do, have the original toshiba windows 7 restore discs, so would be no problem if i needed to go back :wink:
And i have my important data (music, videos, photos, documents) on my back up usb flash drive....so, no worries there...

I was hoping that at this point, it would be stable and reliable enough (including the updates) to run it 10 as a main system...sounds like it should be ok...i hope :lol:

Also i saw some articles mentioning that the RTM image should be out tomorrow (thursday) and that is when i was planning on doing the upgrade...
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Crewp wrote: I joined the MS Insider program only because I like playing around with beta software, you really learn a lot.
You know you can always point LMDE to sid. It makes life, ahem, more exciting. :lol: Just don't do it with your main PC.
Crewp wrote: I think Cortana has potential for the future
There are two ways of interpreting this. It could be "It's a really innovative feature, and I think it really has potential" or it could be "Right now, it stinks, but maybe, maybe, it has the potential to become good. I do agree that it will become useful in the future, but it would take some major improvements to become more than the somewhat gimmicky feature it is now.

@craig10x

So, Windows 10 will be released in waves? Is there any confirmed dates for the "waves", or will the waves come "when they're ready"? I was wondering how the servers were going to be able to handle all those upgrades in 1 day, but I guess this answers that question.

mrdachshund86
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

yeah, the latest is that only insiders will actually get it on the 29th...then after that date, they will send out the notifications to the rest in waves on a daily basis...
for all those running 7 or 8 and registered for an upgrade...so, it is hard to say how long it will take to reach any particular individual...i am figuring it could drag out for a month or two...

originally, they gave the impression that parts of the 3gb download would be put on your system in the updates over time, so that on the 29th, you'd already have everything on your drive to make the install without needing to reach the servers...but apparently that is not the case...

so, i figured the only way i could get it sooner (29th of July) is to upgrade now in the insiders program...Also, this will give me a chance (without a long wait) to see if i am going to like 10 or not...

i just hope it doesn't blow up on me :lol:
Last edited by craig10x on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

craig10x wrote:originally, they gave the impression that parts of the 3gb download would be put on your system in the updates over time, so that on the 29th, you'd already have everything on your drive to make the install without needing to reach the servers...but apparently that is not the case...
Probably the reason why they're rolling it out over a long period instead of pre-loading it onto systems is to make sure that there aren't any serious problems that could give Microsoft a bad name. Since it's likely that most computers running 7 or 8 will upgrade, that is about, maybe 1 billion computers, or so. Even if only 0.01% of computers have serious issues or are bricked, that is still 100,000 computers broken by the upgrade, and a lot of negative press. While most Win10 Insiders and Linux users would go to a forum, politely present their problem, and patiently wait for a solution, the question is would the average user do that. Most users would probably call technical support, and 100,000 users calling Microsoft isn't a enviable situation. Even worse, they could tell others about how Windows 10 broke their previously functioning computer, which would be a PR nightmare for MS.

If you spread that over 100 days, with only ~10 million upgrades daily, MS can figure out where the problems are, and hopefully fix them before anything too bad happens.

mrdachshund86
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

You know you can always point LMDE to sid. It makes life, ahem, more exciting. :lol: Just don't do it with your main PC.
Yea, I like messing around with beta's ( I should have said sometimes ) but I don't want it as a full time job. I like to able to actually use my computer.
I heard once windows 10 rtm is out insiders will be given the chance to stay as an insider or opt out. I for one will opt out, like I said in an earlier post I would
get rid of windows if I didn't need it for updating my gps. I think windows 10 will be a success for MS, ever notice every other version they release is a success,
and the others flop.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

I've just read a disturbing news that Windows 10 will recieve free updates only for 4 years... W T F is going on?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... years.html
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I've just read a disturbing news that Windows 10 will recieve free updates only for 4 years... W T F is going on?
Surely you knew there would be a catch! Microsoft wants to go to a subscription model and this is how they are going to do it. Lots of people will get suckered in by the free upgrade!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Ark987 wrote:I've just read a disturbing news that Windows 10 will recieve free updates only for 4 years... W T F is going on?
So expected :lol:
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

exploder wrote:Surely you knew there would be a catch!
And here I thought the catch was the spyware and adware present in Windows 10. Just when you think MS couldn't sink any lower, it always finds a way.

Makes you long for the days where the worst that Microsoft did was call Linux "communism" :lol:
So expected :lol:

Doesn't make it any less sickening, though.

mrdachshund86

Return to “Open Chat”