Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Ark987 wrote: What happen after 14/Oct/2025?
Microsoft currently owns the computer desktop. It has - more or less - always owned the computer desktop. It will probably always own the computer desktop.

But by 2025 there will no longer be a "computer desktop". There will be an implantable chip that will make client computers as we know them unnecessary.

It may be Apple or Google that first brings this to the market but maybe Microsoft has plans for this as well.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Found this interesting article today...basically if you upgrade to windows 10 you are going to receive 5 years of full support and additional 5 years of security support for free...sounds sufficient...after all, how many will keep the same device for more than 10 years? (In all my years of having computers, i never have)...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhr ... -10-years/
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

What about VMs?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Fred Barclay wrote:What about VMs?
Everything was pure marketing and sensational stories. I bet Windows 10 users will have to buy the next release as usual, nothing has changed unless they keep offering a "free upgrade" on every release based on the license that you own. People tend to get confused with OEM license which dies with the machine by defect.

It appears that, after five years or so, you will then again have to decide whether you upgrade to the next Windows version or not. I wonder if Microsoft is already working on Windows 11 or Windows 20 or whatever the marketers believe sounds better. I am afraid a Windows world without versions might just have been a dream. Wouldn’t it have been great if we never have to deal again with the upgrade stragglers whenever the support for a Windows version ends?

Maybe I am just reading too much into this new Windows lifecycle fact sheet and Microsoft is still serious about Windows as a Service. It could be that Redmond just wants to be on the safe side. If the Windows as a Service thing turns out to be a bad idea, Microsoft could still return to the old upgrade scheme. Technically, it is unclear if it is possible to transform Windows only with updates into a completely new version.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Ark987 wrote:I bet Windows 10 users will have to buy the next release as usual, nothing has changed unless they keep offering a "free upgrade" on every release based on
the license that you own. People tend to get confused with OEM license which dies with the machine by defect.
Is there a reasons to buy something before something dies? When die then will be another story.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Ark987 wrote: And..... TaDa!!!! Windows 10 Lifecycle, looks like customers were victim of false advertisement... again? What happen after 14/Oct/2025?
10 years is a very long time for an operating system to be supported. It's actually pretty amazing.

Other than Mint and Ubuntu, tell me how many Linux distributions are supported for longer than a year?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic wrote:
Ark987 wrote: And..... TaDa!!!! Windows 10 Lifecycle, looks like customers were victim of false advertisement... again? What happen after 14/Oct/2025?
10 years is a very long time for an operating system to be supported. It's actually pretty amazing.

Other than Mint and Ubuntu, tell me how many Linux distributions are supported for longer than a year?
Umm... Debian Stable is one--even longer with the move to OldStable. RHEL is another. I'm not sure about CentOS. Arch technically is under perpetual support.
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

... PCLinuxOS. It has no releases in full sence of words. Just updates, updates. updates... never ending. Fedora 18 months.
So, 10 years Windows is GREAT time.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I read yesterday that Microsoft's Edge browser is still way behind Firefox and Chrome in complying with today's web standards. Windows 10 will have both IE and Edge, because IE might be needed for compatibility reasons. Just seems like more bloat to me. They claim Edge is faster than Chrome but I did not notice any real difference myself, it was much faster than IE though.
GamesBond
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GamesBond »

tdockery97 wrote:I can't wait to see how the forced automatic updates work out. I can just picture someone involved in an intense phase of their favorite game and being treated to a popup stating: "Sorry, but you must now restart your system to configure updates".
Well, it will be the opposite of forced manual updates like in Linux Mint. Despite what all the experienced users, tweakers and IT guru's have to say about it, Linux Mint is a safer option for my grandmother than Windows 7 and she will not update her computer. I would prefer one check box to just auto install all updates over not having computers updated at all. I thought Linux and open source was about having choices, it seems auto update is not a choice.

Yes i can go through the tedious setup of the auto updater and configuring the script but it is annoying to have to do that all the time.
Drygar

Post by Drygar »

GamesBond wrote:
tdockery97 wrote: I thought Linux and open source was about having choices, it seems auto update is not a choice
Actually, it is.
As a user, you have the choice to install whatever you want and to install/update when you want it
You also have the choice and are free to get the source code, modify it to your flavor and taste and use it.

Would you be able to achieve this with closed-source operating system like Windows from Microsoft (especially Windows 10) ? (caught - no - caught)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates
http://www.techworm.net/2015/07/microso ... dates.html
When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won’t include the option of selecting and choosing from menu updates. However, Microsoft has released a tool that can hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates, says ZDNet reports.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I believe that CentOS have 10 years support too... :roll:

But anyway who on earth will buy Windows 10 when you have Windows 98? You will be 88 versions ahead in time and not 10 years - even after 50 years you will be fine. :P
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

That passes as humor in Bulgaria? :shock:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic wrote:That passes as humor in Bulgaria? :shock:
It certainly passes as humour here. ;)
- Albert Einstein
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Example of base humour:
Surely it should be called Windows 1010?

I'm please to hear (pun) that W1010 will support flac audio format throughout. :)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

z31fanatic wrote:That passes as humor in Bulgaria? :shock:
Why not? Usually our humor is related to our politics and people though. ;)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Haters gonna hate. W10 is getting very good reviews.

Tomorrow is the day :twisted:
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Good Morning everyone!

Today's the day! :D

Return to “Open Chat”