Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

mrdachshund86 wrote: Emphasis mine. Is there any reason you decided to stop running it?
Yes, like I said I didn't like the Update situation, also I dual boot with Win 8.1 and I don't mind it, plus I can control the updates. When you see it, to me it is Win8 with a Win7 look anyway. I really don't use it that much, And like any geek, I wanted to test drive the new software, but many folks like it, and I wish them the very best with it.
3mutts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 3mutts »

Well looks like the 2 to 4 years thing is false: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... surprises/
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

That's a surprise! This answered another question.
Automatic updates. For consumers and small business, Windows 10 delivers automatic updates, with no option to selectively delay or reject individual updates. "The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. ... By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice." Business customers have additional management options through the Windows Update for Business program, and enterprise customers can assign mission-critical devices to the Long Term Servicing Branch, which includes only security fixes and not feature updates.
I still would like to see more details when it's released. It does look like there will be no subscription involved.

Edit: This still leaves a little doubt.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts ... ade-cycle/
However, Microsoft's move to offer easy upgrades to existing customers is a precursor to a Windows as a service play in the future.
So Windows 10 users might be off the hook for now but perhaps not in the future.
Last edited by exploder on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

3mutts wrote:Well looks like the 2 to 4 years thing is false: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... surprises/
Most nuts here can't see thru their rose tinted glasses.
mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

3mutts wrote:Well looks like the 2 to 4 years thing is false: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... surprises/
Okay, so Microsoft hasn't completely lost its mind. There's still the loss of user control, and ads. There's still "gotchas".

mrdachshund86
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I hope for Windows users sake they get the updates for free for the life if the product. It still does not entice me in any way to use it myself though.
mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

exploder wrote:I hope for Windows users sake they get the updates for free for the life if the product. It still does not entice me in any way to use it myself though.
I hope for Microsoft's sake that users get updates for free until the machine dies. I don't think they want 1 billion angry users with torches and pitchforks descending on Redmond. :mrgreen:

mrdachshund86
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

See, told you so :wink: :lol:
Their motivation is they want to try to get everyone on the windows of the future which is 10 (which will "morph" into simply windows)...it will save them a lot of money in the long run to have just one "rolling style" windows system (which is what it is now becoming)...THAT is why they are willing to do it...Also, they want to make up for the mistakes they made with "8" which didn't do their reputation any good...So, they are trying to make up for it with kind of a "good will"move...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I can't wait to see how the forced automatic updates work out. I can just picture someone involved in an intense phase of their favorite game and being treated to a popup stating: "Sorry, but you must now restart your system to configure updates".
Mint Cinnamon 20
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

craig10x wrote:See, told you so :wink: :lol:
Their motivation is they want to try to get everyone on the windows of the future which is 10 (which will "morph" into simply windows)...it will save them a lot of money in the long run to have just one "rolling style" windows system (which is what it is now becoming)...THAT is why they are willing to do it...Also, they want to make up for the mistakes they made with "8" which didn't do their reputation any good...So, they are trying to make up for it with kind of a "good will"move...
Yep, that has been my thinking ever since they said they would give it for free to 7 & 8 users. They want everyone on the same version so they don't have to spend huge amounts of money and resources on maintaining 3 different operating systems.
I like this move to be honest and I like W10 so far. I'm definitely upgrading my 3 Windows machines to 10.
Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 »

Now it makes more sense than before, I think this strategic move will help them to keep the market share for a longer period of time. This for sure will hurt the adoption of other OS.
Transfer rights. I heard some observers speculate that the new terms would limit Windows 10 transfer rights. Nope. The new license agreement preserves the longstanding transfer rights: OEM copies are locked to the device on which they're sold, retail copies can be transferred to a different device as long as the old copy is removed first. (The Windows 10 EULA includes a specific exception for PC buyers in Germany, who are allowed to transfer OEM software thanks to a court ruling.)

Looking closely: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features Windows 10 looks like Cinnamon with Numix theme :lol:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Looking closely: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features Windows 10 looks like Cinnamon with Numix theme :lol:
Someone besides me finally noticed that! I thought it looked like Cinnamon if Clem had very bad taste! :) I see similarities to Cinnamon and elementaryOS throughout the system! The thing that really blew my mind was how Windows 10 used 12 GB of hard drive space just for the OS! Linux Mint uses 5 GB and it comes complete with applications.
Last edited by exploder on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

"Do obvious things...like upgrading for FREE".
Why is it only obvious now, as opposed to being obvious, say, when Win 7 came out? And what about the blokes on Vista? Is it not obvious for them?

Interesting video, though. Probably the thing I noticed most was how you Americans just can't get away from Frozen. :lol:
exploder wrote:The thing that really blew my mind was how Windows 19...
. Wow! Big news, exploder! :) What, they decided to make up to poor 9 for ignoring it in the Windows series, so they tossed it in with Windows 10 and called it 19?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

exploder wrote:thing that really blew my mind was how Windows 10 used 12 GB of hard drive space just for the OS!
12GB is very light actually. W7 was 25-30 and W8.1 was around 20. Windows has gotten leaner and faster since 7.
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

And Windows 10 uses less ram too...When i ran 7, it used about 2gb of my 4 gb of ram on my laptop....Windows 8 used about 1.7 and Windows 10 even less at around 1.4
My ubuntu w/unity usually runs around 1 gb, so it has really been coming down quite a bit... :wink:

Actually, i think Windows 10 looks kind of attractive and it is nice to have the start menu back...
3mutts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 3mutts »

^ To show how light Win10 is compared to other releases here is one of the PCs I'm running the Preview on:

Dell Latitude D610 (2006)
Intel Pentium M 1.87 GHz (SINGLE CORE)
2GB of RAM
60GB HDD (5400 RPM, IDE)
Intel GMA 900 Graphics (the only thing that does not have a driver, but it never had drivers since Vista [Not WDDM compatible])

This PC is literally the bottom of the barrel of what Win10 will run on (the only thing that you can change is to have 1GB of RAM instead of 2) and it is actually usable (not a speed demon but not painfully slow either). I don't think this PC could run 7 as well let alone Vista.

Some other PCs I got the TP to boot on:

Dell Optiplex GX280 (Impressed by this!)
Dell Optiplex GX620 (only 32bit sadly [the CPU is 64bit but does not support the features to run 64bit Windows])
Dell Optiplex GX520
Emachines (cant remember the model but it is old [AMD Sempron 3100+])
Dell Latitude D630 (not surprising since it is a Core2 Duo)
HP Pavilion DV7 1132nr
Dell Dimension E521
Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 »

3mutts wrote:^ To show how light Win10 is compared to other releases here is one of the PCs I'm running the Preview on:

Dell Latitude D610 (2006)
Intel Pentium M 1.87 GHz (SINGLE CORE)
2GB of RAM
60GB HDD (5400 RPM, IDE)
Intel GMA 900 Graphics (the only thing that does not have a driver, but it never had drivers since Vista [Not WDDM compatible])

This PC is literally the bottom of the barrel of what Win10 will run on (the only thing that you can change is to have 1GB of RAM instead of 2) and it is actually usable (not a speed demon but not painfully slow either). I don't think this PC could run 7 as well let alone Vista.

Some other PCs I got the TP to boot on:

Dell Optiplex GX280 (Impressed by this!)
Dell Optiplex GX620 (only 32bit sadly [the CPU is 64bit but does not support the features to run 64bit Windows])
Dell Optiplex GX520
Emachines (cant remember the model but it is old [AMD Sempron 3100+])
Dell Latitude D630 (not surprising since it is a Core2 Duo)
HP Pavilion DV7 1132nr
Dell Dimension E521
Wow are you running the preview on all those machines? How is it a Core 2 Duo machine? Is 2 GB of RAM enough?

I've just migrated one old laptop to LM17 but running Terraria is a PITA on Wine, if the developer does not deliver a Linux version and Windows 10 license turn out to be that attractive (a-life-time-transferable-license) more likely that one will go back to its roots.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Windows 10 just seems like an enormous downgrade after running LMDE 2 Cinnamon. I can match Windows feature for feature and LMDE 2 Cinnamon beats it hands down in every way. For Windows users Windows 10 might be a big improvement but for someone that has ran Linux for 15 years it really has nothing to offer. If you want to blame someone for my negative attitude with Windows 10 blame Clem because LMDE 2 Cinnamon with Cinnamon 2.6 totally blows Windows 10 away! :D
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

exploder wrote:Windows (10) just seems like an enormous downgrade after running LMDE 2 Cinnamon.
I fully agree :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

exploder wrote:Windows 10 just seems like an enormous downgrade after running LMDE 2 Cinnamon. I can match Windows feature for feature and LMDE 2 Cinnamon beats it hands down in every way. For Windows users Windows 10 might be a big improvement but for someone that has ran Linux for 15 years it really has nothing to offer. If you want to blame someone for my negative attitude with Windows 10 blame Clem because LMDE 2 Cinnamon with Cinnamon 2.6 totally blows Windows 10 away! :D
It was because of LMDE 2 that I showed Cortana the door. :D 17.2 with Cinnamon is just so excellent that Windows 10 pales in comparison.
z31fanatic wrote:12GB is very light actually. W7 was 25-30 and W8.1 was around 20. Windows has gotten leaner and faster since 7.
craig10x wrote:And Windows 10 uses less ram too...When i ran 7, it used about 2gb of my 4 gb of ram on my laptop....Windows 8 used about 1.7 and Windows 10 even less at around 1.4
My ubuntu w/unity usually runs around 1 gb, so it has really been coming down quite a bit... :wink:
I think it's telling that after 5 years of trying to slim down Windows, even the heaviest of distros is still lighter. Windows 10 may be less bloated but it's still bloated.

mrdachshund86

Return to “Open chat”