Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor »

xenopeek wrote: Unlike Apple and Google, Microsoft still charges developers a lot of money to use its development tools.
Unless I'm mistaken, Visual Studio 2015 is free for everyone except big companies who intend to use it for commercial purposes (if you're a small company using it for commercial purposes or a big one using it for open-source development it's still free).
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I stand corrected. The community edition of visual studio appears to be free of charge to developers. So as a developer you're no worse off than with Apple or Google. Doesn't change much for users of Windows 10 though. Privacy invasions & ads everywhere :)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Ok, we get it. Thanks for the warning.

Now let us who don't see everything as a conspiracy or spying or whatever else you have in your mind share our experiences, tips, and tricks of W10.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

xenopeek wrote:I just read that Windows 10 by default searches the web with Bing for anything you type in your menu. Ouch!
Searching with Bing is good because you get points which you can redeem for MS gift cards. I use Bing and in less than a year I had enough points to buy an Xbox Live subscription ($60) :mrgreen:

But keep your tinfoil hat on and keep on hating. :roll:
pacho37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pacho37 »

z31fanatic wrote:Ok, we get it. Thanks for the warning.

Now let us who don't see everything as a conspiracy or spying or whatever else you have in your mind share our experiences, tips, and tricks of W10.
There is a difference between calling something a conspiracy and pointing out there are certain things which some people might not like about windows 10.
I understand that for some people such things might be of little importance, but others like to keep their online footprint as small as possible.
Taking into account the Microsoft Privacy Statement and the Services Agreement, and how difficult it is to change default privacy settings of W10 (and even after some of them are changed they will
revert to their default values after unspecified time, as has already been reported) I think a discussion about this topic might be interesting for some people - it does not necessarily have anything to do
with conspiracies or hate.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64 Bit
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

z31fanatic wrote:Now let us who don't see everything as a conspiracy or spying or whatever else you have in your mind share our experiences, tips, and tricks of W10.
z31fanatic wrote:But keep your tinfoil hat on and keep on hating. :roll:
Kindly remind you that you are on Linux Mint official forum. Therefore this forum is full of users loving Linux and not using/appreciating Windows.

I have seen in the last pages your tendency to take personally every negative comments regarding W10 and also a small tendency to attack Linux. Kindly remind you that messages sending flowers to Microsoft are not to be expected here. Especially when it comes to the choices made by Microsoft regarding the private life of users. This subject has always been important for Linux users and you cannot expect any positive comments here.

By the way, you remind me an old user from this forum...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

And I was thinking you could express yourself freely here since you all seem to complain about how the other side keeps you prisoners, but no, you are just the same.
A bunch of communists.
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

Was reading this article: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-0 ... everything (among other sites echoing the same) and nah, don't think I'll be using Windows 10. I'm not a big gamer but I really wish the Linux world could make some huge gains in the gaming arena as I'm sure this would win over lots of folks.... c'mon Vulcan and/or SteamOS!
FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FirebirdTN »

I'm probably not going to win any brownie point for my opinion, but what the heck...

I have test drove the tech preview a little bit, and I will say this: It sure is pretty!!! I really like the looks of the OS, and it seems what they have done is a pretty good job of marrying the desktop interface (IE Start Menu + WIMP) with mobile device use. Pretty nifty.

I have only been using Mint for a little over a year now. But even today, I have always felt that "windows" felt a little more "polished", "refined", and "pleasing" generally.

Does that mean I am going back? HELL NO. Since I was an XP holdout, no wonder I embraced Mint. It looks to be one of the few distro's around with the traditional PC interface in mind. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT!!! It seems computing devices of the future are turning more and more into "appliances". Which is great for a casual user, or office that needs a turn key device to get office work done. I guess that is what Microsoft and maybe Apple are trying to do. Make things as EASY as possible for the vast majority of users to be productive.

IMHO, something has been lost. It seems every new step forward just takes a little bit more "fun" out of computing.

Linux is my answer. And specifically Mint. I personally use the Cinnamon Desktop and I love it. To me, it reminds me of the simpler interface of early versions of Windows, but with USEFUL modern day features, such as "hot corners", and I don't know what its called, but the "favorites" bar on the left hand side of the menu.

Not quite on topic, but I got into "PCs" around 1998. I have been around computers most all my life, but didn't get my very first IBM compatible PC until 98. Wow, those were some fun times. But I look at the evolution of the computer, and I kind of hate that its turning into an appliance. I know you can still build your own, and there are still choices out there, but I think of all my favorite companies that have long died off, or been absorbed or radically changed their business model: 3com, adaptec, 3dfx, ATI, turtle beach, diamond multimedia, Abit, maxtor, etc, etc, etc. It just seems we are trending to the "walmart" of PCs. I hope that day never comes.

In the mean time, Windows 10 really does look good, and seems to operate okay for the little I played around with it. Although I have SO MUCH to learn, Linux will be my platform of choice, probably for life.

-Alan
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG »

z31fanatic wrote:And I was thinking you could express yourself freely here since you all seem to complain about how the other side keeps you prisoners, but no, you are just the same.
A bunch of communists.
You can actually, and it's not bad to make a positive comment regarding Windows if there is a reason but like killer de bug said:
killer de bug wrote:I have seen in the last pages your tendency to take personally every negative comments regarding W10 and also a small tendency to attack Linux.
I think so too. Like you I also have a few favorite things in Windows (regarding to gaming) which I can't do in Linux but who really cares? I play chess and sudoku here and I'm fine. For me personally Linux have advantage and I was not uninstalled Windows because I like it believe me. ;)
Proud of Linux Mint!
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

you are just the same.
A bunch of communists
This is true.

We do consider ourselves a community
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Microsoft Shared Source Initiative
But at this point... who cares?
We use what we want and the OS we want.
-Zumwalt
Bad Boy Bubby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bad Boy Bubby »

Running Linux Mint 17 KDE 64bit
Steam for Linux - Counterstike, Source and GO are my main games
Nvidia 750ti
Intel i5 Processor
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Thank you for breaking news. Today is September, 08.
I believe K-Lite codec pack and it's Mediaplayer classic will save 15$ ?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

It will save them money on licensing fees and I'm surprised it took them so long. I'd do the same if it were my company.
It's no different than buying DVD software from other companies.

There are choices like VLC that are free to users, you know? :wink:
clatterfordslim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clatterfordslim »

I had Windows 10 and as promised it kept all my files and apps, with the upgrade, but again like Windows 8, in my opinion it is for a tablet and for those who wants to tell Microsoft, exactly what they are doing on the net or whatever their interests are.
As their Cortana voice activated thingy, gets to know you, if you let it. My experience with Windows 10, made me believe that although yes, it is a nice looking operating system, Microsoft has made yet another legal spyware OS, which spies on your every move.

Not only that but it seemed to be backward, compared to Windows 7. You had to open up 3 files to get to Windows updates, where as you only have to open start menu programs then the short cut to Windows Update in Windows 7. I tried it though and got rid of it, with the option of going back to Windows 7, which it did, without a hitch surprisingly. Then I uninstalled the very annoying Get Windows 10 Short cut in the task bar, then told Windows Update to ignore any updates for Windows 10. I like Windows 7, I admit it call me a traitor if you want, but unfortunately a lot of us gamers, still have to rely on Windows for their games. Resident Evil remake and so fourth. Until Steam can make all these type of games for Linux, or for the Steam OS solely, then unfortunately, we have to rely on Windows.

In a lot of ways Windows 10, was trying to emulate Linux in it's look and also with the virtual desktop or spaces, not to mention the MDM type Login screen it's got. Two choices of logging in, by your name and password, or by your email account.

They done away with Internet Explorer and made their own called Edge, which is useless in my opinion and I would tell the writers of this sole heartedly too. Too much hype and backward thinking in my view is Windows 10.
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

BigEasy wrote: I believe K-Lite codec pack and it's Mediaplayer classic will save 15$ ?
Sure. if you want to destroy your OS.

I highly recommend folks stay away from "codec bundles".
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Not bad recommendation for housewifes and old parents. But are they on forum?
Believe me, K-Lite codecs pack never kill no any OS. It makes OS better instead.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

BigEasy wrote:Not bad recommendation for housewifes and old parents. But are they on forum?
Isn't that a bit insulting? :?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Hmm. For whom?

Return to “Open chat”