Best way someone has compensated you for computer work?

Chat about just about anything else
Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Best way someone has compensated you for computer work?

Post by Fuzzy Penquin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Ok, I would bet many of us here have been the designated "computer fixer/guru/nerd" that gets everyone's computers sent to them for repairs when either the OS or hardware has problems. We fix their computer out of kindness, not expecting compensation since this was a friend/reletive that we are doing a favor for. Most never do more than say "thank you". But sometimes, every once in a while, somebody actually compensates you for your time/effort....

So! What was the best compensation you have received for your efforts? I received money once, which was nice. But the best thing I ever got was home-made Indian curry! Yup, I concider curry the best form of payment, ever. LOL. I fixed two Indian guys' computers, and both sent me curry. I lived off curry for a week, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There was a LOT of it. Soooooo yummy!!! I was actually sad when I swollowed my last bite and there was no more curry left. Haha. :mrgreen: :lol:
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, Nvidia GTX1080, Mint 19.1 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Best way someone has compensated you for computer work?

Post by DrHu » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:02 pm

Was given an Android MX TV box..
--I also help one person who tends to pay me for assistance with problems on a MAC

But apart from the good feeling that gives, the best way to be compensated is to go PRO
--setup a web or gotomeeting or something similar to deal and service people who might call and the people they might get to call you..
  • Only if you want to turn a hobby into a job/profession !

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:50 pm

A friend has an organic farm, so I got fresh, locally grown, organic veggies!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 pm

I spend my winters in a campground in the sunny southern US, and am often asked for help to fix some sort of computer problem. Sometimes, it is merely that some education is the solution, usually MS related. When asked what I wanted for payment, my usual answer is; "I take cream in my coffee." Well, a couple of years ago, a gentleman knocked on the door, announcing that he was leaving for home. With a slight grin, he handed my a brown paper sack. In it was a bottle of Irish Cream! Hilarious!

Cheers,
Bob

dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:35 pm

I've had a few people pay me with small bits of money, to pay for gas and needed parts.

One of my clients, however, was my wife's boss; several of the departmental computers were overrun by viruses and need full-blown reformat and OS/application installation, and the company's IT department didn't want to deal with such old machines. Fast forward a good bit of time to late last year, when that boss decided to start closing up shop-- yadda yadda yadda, I now have two decent Core 2 Duo boxes and a classic iMac G4 "Luxo Lamp" for free! The C2Ds have Mint on them now, of course (see my sig).
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Mint Cinnamon on Dell XPS 210, Optiplex 760, Inspiron N4110 and Latitude E4200;
Mint Xfce on Lenovo Ideapad S10.
Some OS X and WinXP too; I'm multi-platform like that.

oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oxygenfarm » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:14 pm

I've received bottles of Bourbon or wine, pizza dinner, much old computer equipment. One friend even gave me a pint mason jar filled with what was reputed to be moonshine: still untouched (may be more dangerous than Windoz!). Some of the old computers and drives were suitable for holding a door open on a windy day.
Cleaning up old Windoz machines and/or installing a new Linux OS are appreciated as acts of friendship: that's enough compensation.

Return to “Open chat”