New Macbook

Chat about just about anything else
3mutts
Level 2
Level 2

New Macbook

Post by 3mutts » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:48 am

So if I may ask, what do you guys think of Apples new Macbook? Personally, I think that this thing is a huge rip off, you are paying $1,300 for what is essentially a netbook (with the specs of a core 2 duo from 2008) with 1 USB port +$80 if you want to use the USB port and charge at the same time. Plus, who is this marketed towards? They already have the Air which is portable enough and has better specs than this (the only negative being the non-retina display) and the Macbook Pro which is aimed at professionals. I see only two groups of people that will buy this and they are 1. people who have too much money or 2. the iSheep. The only thing I hope is that this mentality doesn't spread to the other manufactures (otherwise it will be a world of unreliable wireless connections and adapters).

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New Macbook

Post by z31fanatic » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:31 am

I think it is pretty great to be honest. I played with it at an Apple store and loved it.
They priced it about $200 too high in my opinion especially when the 13" rMBP starts at $1300. But you do get 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD and the high resolution screen which makes a big difference. The SSDs on the Macbooks are PCI-E SSDs and are faster than normal SATA ones. Plus the portability of this machine is amazing.
Only the CPU lets it down but I understand why they went with it because they wanted it to be fanless.
The Air in my opinion is not worth it. That ancient TN panel is just horrible. I had one and only kept it for two days. I couldn't stand the screen.
Don't forget that Macbooks have all aluminum body, amazing battery life, and amazing touchpad unmatched by anyone. I love using Mint on my late 2013 rMBP 13".
It fels like the trackpad was made for Linux :mrgreen:

Would I get one? If I had disposable income I definitely but I don't so all I can do is admire it. Or maybe I'll wait for the second gen :mrgreen:

3mutts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 3mutts » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:01 am

^ I agree, I think I wouldn't bash it as much if they had 2 USB C ports and it was in the $700-900 dollar range (it would basically be the retina Air that most people where hoping for) but instead its overpriced and only has one port.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 am

Many people seem to think that this new Macbook will kill the Air for good and I won't be surprised if it does.
I also predict they will make a 13 or 14" version late this year or early next year.

Welly Wu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welly Wu » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:30 am

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I understand the allure and status symbol that Apple products and services evoke in millions of people worldwide, but I question the value offer compared to traditional Microsoft Windows PCs and GNU/Linux certified PCs in direct comparison. The 2015 Apple MacBook 12" is $1,299.99 USD for the base model and that is little over half the cost of the top of the line 2014 Apple MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display with a nVidia Geforce GT 750M with 2.0 GB of GDDR5 video RAM GPU and 512.00 GB PCI-e solid state drive and 16.00 GB of DDR3 SODIMM RAM. The MacBook only has one headphone and microphone port and one Super Speed USB 3.1 Type C port. I can see that it will be popular with women in particular that want the thinnest and lightest Apple MacBook product for traveling abroad. It just doesn't make much of a value sense to me. People that buy this product will have to purchase and carry external dongles and adapters in order to plug in more devices to their 2015 Apple MacBooks. It's too early to tell if this is truly going to be the future of notebook PCs or not. Super Speed USB 3.1 Type C is so new that very few hardware manufacturers have products available to support it yet. Apple Macintosh OS X 64 bit gets more new features and unique capabilities each passing year and that requires a newer and more powerful iMac, MacPro, or MacBook just to keep up with the latest and greatest desktop operating system releases. I'm not sure if the 2015 Apple MacBook is powerful enough to stand the test of time because it only uses a single Intel 5th generation "Broadwell" 1.1 GHz dual-core CPU. The custom resolution is a bit odd and independent software vendors are going to have to tweak their existing software products to support it. This will take time. In the end, the 2015 Apple MacBook is facing some inherent design limitations and it is making some serious tradeoffs that even some Apple customers are not willing to invest in. This is going to be one of the more challenging tests of Apple, Inc. to create new emerging markets based upon a very niche product model over time. I'm not purchasing it ever. In fact, I am not buying an Apple product or service at all. I'd rather take a GNU/Linux friendly or certified notebook PC and install the latest Ubuntu 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux desktop operating system in order to save myself time and money over the long run.

furbs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by furbs » Mon May 04, 2015 7:05 am

It's in the same vein as my Zenbook ux305 but at least the Zenbook's price is fair - $700. And something as inconvenient and with aesthetics as poor as the dongle is atrocious coming from Apple. Clearly just a money grab.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Mon May 04, 2015 10:05 am

Welly Wu wrote:Different strokes for different folks I guess. I understand the allure and status symbol that Apple products and services evoke in millions of people worldwide
Status symbol? While it may be true for a fraction of their customers, it's not all about that. A Mac is a tool just like a PC is. I bought my Macbook Pro (used) because I like MacOS, the hardware, the retina screen, the design, and the build quality. I certainly didn't buy it as a status symbol.
Also like the fact that Apple has made it easy to run Windows on a Mac with Bootcamp. And you can run Linux too and it will run it well. The amazing touchpad of Macs is like it was made specifically for Linux. I love using Mint on my Macbook.

However I do agree that it's a bit overpriced because of the weak processor you get. This new Macbook is targeting a specific group of users. It's not for everyone.

Maybe in two years I can afford to buy a used one :mrgreen:

Welly Wu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welly Wu » Tue May 05, 2015 12:26 am

Apple, Inc. prides itself for selling its' products and services to a specific clients that are clearly at the upper end of the financial spectrum. It's a marquee brand and it is a status symbol to own an Apple product. It's made by hipsters for hipsters. Part for part, Apple overcharges and they under specify their products which leaves their competitors to fill the vacuum by offering competing products with more features and capabilities at far lower costs. This is the essence of direct marketing and sales found in the luxury industries like fashion, beauty products, and status symbols. Over the years, Apple, Inc. has sharpened its' focus and extended their reach to a larger and wealthier customer base worldwide by employing the same strategy and tactics. People do pay for this stuff folks. I see Apple products almost everywhere I go and I ask a few customers why they chose to purchase or use their products and they say that Apple makes cool stuff. So, I interpret it with my own biases and prejudices. Nothing wrong with that.

The 2015 Apple MacBook marks the new era of salesmanship and product design that focuses on the less is more philosophy albeit at much higher prices. Expect more of the same in future products and refreshes annually. Apple is on a roll and they know it well enough to capitalize upon their self-created phenomenon.

It's all a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Tue May 05, 2015 1:53 am

Too much generalization. I think you are wrong in many counts. I don't see it as a status symbol.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:21 am

I see some use Apple for the status, some because it's a tool that works, and from what i gather Apple generally make products that are good at what they were designed to do albeit slightly overpriced and with an idiotising of the user, send my pc to a shop to be fixed? no user servicable parts? I have never owned or wanted to own nor am I ever likely to own anything made by Apple - from an ethical point of view - Apple suck major league! :-)

carpenpa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carpenpa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:59 am

Welly Wu: Your comment
I can see that it will be popular with women in particular that want the thinnest and lightest Apple MacBook product for traveling abroad. It just doesn't make much of a value sense to me.
is quite offensive. Are you suggesting that females are particularly drawn to a lightweight machine because they would find alternatives too heavy? or that just because they are female style becomes more important than function. This is sexist bullshit. :x

carpenpa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carpenpa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:18 am

1.618 wrote:I see some use Apple for the status, some because it's a tool that works, and from what i gather Apple generally make products that are good at what they were designed to do albeit slightly overpriced and with an idiotising of the user, send my pc to a shop to be fixed? no user servicable parts? I have never owned or wanted to own nor am I ever likely to own anything made by Apple - from an ethical point of view - Apple suck major league! :-)
Most of the reasons why Apple products are made this way stem most probably from the personality of co-founder ot Apple, Steve Jobs and his obsession for total control over the product. This is explored in the biographies and films about his life and assuming that they are accurate, relate to the fact that he was adopted as a baby and at this time had absolutely no control over his life. The need to express and experience high levels of control later in life is common in some adopted adults and very evident in one of my two adopted children - hence my interest in the psychology of it all.
One of the reasons for the popularity of Apple products I believe is that they are seen as less problematic than the alternatives and a "safe" option for those with less time or understanding to deal with any issues that may crop up with new peripherals or software. The reliance on "it just works" That is why I like my iPad so much - so difficult to screw it up. Now most of you are probably like myself - happy to explore, get into situations and find solutions, why else would I be installing Linux on a machine that worked perfectly well out of the box. Why is it that I want to use LibreOffice when I have free access to MS Office or iWork apps. It's about having fun, being independent and perhaps having a little bit too much free time on my hands - or am I just kidding myself?

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Portreve » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Before the return of Steve Jobs, and for some period of time afterward, Apple was not in any sense a "status symbol" brand. For a very long time, the best computers you could get to do graphic arts and graphic design work were Macs, period. x86 systems were only ever "good enough" for the business users and average home users they were targeted towards.

That said, Adobe and Quark and the rest produce equally good software for either platform, and systems running (at a minimum) Windows 98SE, and preferably Windows 2000, were finally decent enough overall, in both hardware and OS improvements, to match the Macintosh / Mac OS platform on truly equal footing, Windows security issues notwithstanding. For that matter, tons and tons and tons of shops kept Win2K systems as their backbones for a VERY long time, well into the era of Windows Vista.

Apple used to be about making the best hardware and overall platform that one could get. However, since Apple started to cut corners for just about all their hardware, they are little more than a boutique brand. That said, many still buy Macs and run the Mac OS X platform for non-"status symbol" reasons. Mac OS X does not have anywhere near the marketshare it might if Apple were still all about producing the legitimately best platform. Then again, one could make a comparison with Doctor Who and say pretty much the same thing: it's made and marketed to simply appeal to people, and that's why either of them are as popular and successful as they are today.

As for trying to lighten the machine, etc. etc., and how that is or might be oriented towards women, well... I'm sure it's possible. In fact, I'll go you one further and say it seems highly probable given the shift in many markets such that women have become a significant factor and force to be reckoned with. There are far more women executives today than ever before. Look at the demographics for college attendance: 60/40 women, and depending on the program or the institution, the numbers break even higher for women.

Besides, women are and have always been more interested in or obsessed with status and aesthetics and so on than men, so I'm not sure why this should come as a surprise to anyone.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:24 am

carpenpa wrote:Welly Wu: Your comment
I can see that it will be popular with women in particular that want the thinnest and lightest Apple MacBook product for traveling abroad. It just doesn't make much of a value sense to me.
is quite offensive. Are you suggesting that females are particularly drawn to a lightweight machine because they would find alternatives too heavy? or that just because they are female style becomes more important than function. This is sexist stuff. :x
We need to be careful in regards to politics here but, if I may say...

I don't know about 'sexist.' Given that we are now being told that gender is what one perceives it to me and not what one DNA is then there can't be anything sexist any more since 'sex' as we have understood it does not exist...

...But more to the point, I tire of not being allowed to generalize about any group except those designated 'hateful' by the liberal elites in power. That fact is that. GENERALLY SPEAKING, women do have different wants to men. That's why us men get sick of being dragged around clothing and shoe stores. That's why Imelda Marcos had rooms full of shoes and not, say, hiking gear.

Women tend to like their tech small, portable (will fit into a handbag) and focused on communication. I experienced this in the 1990's. Through the 1970's and 80's I found women were just disinterested in computers. Then came the internet in the Early to mid 1990's and sales of tower system SOARED... to women! They wanted their own machine for communications! I was forever being consulted by women on buying a PC for the internet.

Then came unreliable laptops and it was women who always wanted the laptop because they like small, portable tech. I always begged them not to because laptops were poor quality in those days and always fell apart in 18 month but they bought a laptop anyway and, 18 months later, were asking me about a desktop because their laptop had collapsed. [Put me off laptops almost forever until I was forced to buying a refurbished laptop which, with Linux, made me fall in love with tech again.] But as time went on and laptops became both smaller and more reliable more women purchased them. Social media and tablets are beloved of women and I live in the country with the largest number of social media uses in the world!

Women like small tech geared towards communications. That's a fact. Of course it's not all women, but if we can't generalise about different groups AT ALL then we can do no marketing, no analysis of even basic deduction of human behaviour. It's not about physical strength (though women to average at 25% less physically strong than men - that's life) but I find it's more about having things small and able to fit in a laptop. My life nicked my 10 inch netbook from me because it would find in her handbag. Most men prefer power over portability. "More power!" [I am not like that but I am an unusual male! But I don't mind the generalisation because we HAVE to generalise to understand the Universe!] I have known some men spend thousands of dollars on tech that they never use 10% of.. just for 'manly' bragging rights. Not all men operate like this - the vast majority don't, but it tends to me more a guy thing than a girl thing.

Whether women would spend the $$$$$ for the macbook I do not know. I doubt it. But I agree that the design matches what I seen in women's preferences for tech design - small, light and geared towards communication and battery life over raw CPU. I don't think that equals sexist. It just equals preference.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Portreve » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:44 pm

Couldn't have said it better.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Return to “Open chat”