Why does Cinnamon need PulseAudio

Chat about just about anything else
loganj
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why does Cinnamon need PulseAudio

Post by loganj » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 pm

InkKnife wrote:The PulseAudio system wide equalizer is very important to me. I have damaged hearing at certain frequencies and being able to EQ the sound system wide really, REALLY makes things nicer for me.
The thing about choice is that while GNU/Linux does offer a great deal of choice, not every distro is going to offer all those choices.
If Mint does not suit your audio needs I bet there are several other very nice distros that will. That is the choice you are looking for.
In case u didn't know alsa has system wide equalizer too. its in libasound2-plugin-equal
you can find how to configure it on google
it pretty old and still working much much better than the lame pulseaudio.

after you configure it you can use it with alsamixer -D plug:[your plug name]
anyway i manage to configure it to upscale sound to 7.1 plus eq 10 frequency bands
if compare alsa to pulseaudio crashes i will say alsa crash way less than pulseaudio

i really wonder why pulse its so must have....after all pulse is more like a server that manage alsa.....it sounds stupid right there. of course probably is useful if u have multiple outputs or inputs....but for standard computer for gameing/movies/web u have 2 channels (most of the times) and 1 sound card (most of the time onboard).....alsa is more than enough to handle this.
i hated pulse since the first time i notice it. it crashed so often that make my linux experience a pain.
and in the last years it even became a standard for linux.
but it seems that KDE works so nice without pulse :)
u can remove pulse in kde without loosing anything.
the problem is that i love cinnamon

and now for Daveroski
i just manage to remove pulse (TEST WAS DONE IN VIRTUALBOX)
sudo apt-get remove pulse*
sudo apt-get purge pulse*

sudo apt-get install -d cinnamon <----this downloads the file without installing
i copied/move the files from /var/cache/apt/archives/ to ~/Downloads (3-4 files)
and then in ~/Downloads
sudo dpkg -i --ignore-depends="libcanberra-pulse" cinnamon-control-center_2.6.0+rafaela_amd64.deb <--install regardelss of dependencies and it seems to be the 1st u have to install
sudo dpkg -i cinnamon_2.6.13+rafaela_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i cinnamon-common_2.6.13+rafaela_all.deb

this will broke your upgrades/whatever
to fix it just
sudo apt-get -f install (this will resintall pulse)
do the upgrade
and back to the previous steps
i have no other idea if it works outside of virtualbox....i'll have to test it when i have more time

maybe some1 has a better solution that will not require to fix dependencies every time we have to install something
i mostly hate forums

_lu_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _lu_ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:52 am

I don't know why - I'm new to linux.
I use Gmusicbrowser for my music and configure alsa to be its output method. Alsa sounds so very much better than pulse.
I tried a few music players and not all of them could be configured to play alsa, at least not easily for me back in my first week of linux.

In case anyone reading wants to know...
In Gmusicbrowser > settings > audio > output device: alsa
then in same window > advanced options > at alsa device: type hw:1,0
(I had to determine that hw:1,0 info by typing something in the terminal - sorry can't remember what it was :oops:
Last edited by _lu_ on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:03 pm

loganj
In case u didn't know alsa has system wide equalizer too. its in libasound2-plugin-equal
after you configure it you can use it with alsamixer -D plug:[your plug name]
I use qasmixer rather than alsamixer (much nicer interface) - with libasound2-plugin-equal installed you can access the 7-band alsa EQ by selecting device "equal" from "Mixer device" (Make sure qasmixer.menu->View->Show device selection is checked).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Tonytitan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tonytitan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:12 am

I lost my Linux virginity to Linux Mint a month ago and fell madly in love with it. I would love to run off with it and get married to it but this one thing keeps me holding on to MS Windows. I have an HTPC setup using Kodi/XBMC that in Windows passes thru all the HD audio formats(DTS, DTS-MA, etc.) to my AVR with no problem. Trying to accomplish the same thing in Mint has not been possible so far. Is it possible to mirror Windows functionality with regards to HD audio in Mint or is LPCM the best I can hope for from MInt? Please help!

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:17 am

Tonytitan wrote:I lost my Linux virginity to Linux Mint a month ago and fell madly in love with it. I would love to run off with it and get married to it but this one thing keeps me holding on to MS Windows. I have an HTPC setup using Kodi/XBMC that in Windows passes thru all the HD audio formats(DTS, DTS-MA, etc.) to my AVR with no problem. Trying to accomplish the same thing in Mint has not been possible so far. Is it possible to mirror Windows functionality with regards to HD audio in Mint or is LPCM the best I can hope for from MInt? Please help!
are you using and HDMI interface ? these surround sound systems will likely be best over and HDMI connection . my MoBo has an HDMI port and my LMDE/2 finds it -- although I've nothing t hook up to it. I'm just doing stereo, using a Behringer UFO202 converter

your "AVR" is a Surround Sound Home Theatre type system -- using HDMI connections for TV, DVD, Game Console, & c ?
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Tonytitan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tonytitan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:21 pm

mike acker wrote:are you using and HDMI interface ? these surround sound systems will likely be best over and HDMI connection . my MoBo has an HDMI port and my LMDE/2 finds it -- although I've nothing t hook up to it. I'm just doing stereo, using a Behringer UFO202 converter

your "AVR" is a Surround Sound Home Theatre type system -- using HDMI connections for TV, DVD, Game Console, & c ?
I am. Nvidia GeForce GTX 750. DVI, HDMI and Display Port on the same card. AVR is a Sony STR-DH800 7.1 system. The Nvidia is output to the AVR as is the HDTV. Everything works wonderfully in MS Windows. I just want to drop it and as soon as I get the same quality functionality out of Mint, I will.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Tonytitan wrote:
mike acker wrote:are you using and HDMI interface ? these surround sound systems will likely be best over and HDMI connection . my MoBo has an HDMI port and my LMDE/2 finds it -- although I've nothing t hook up to it. I'm just doing stereo, using a Behringer UFO202 converter

I am. Nvidia GeForce GTX 750. DVI, HDMI and Display Port on the same card. AVR is a Sony STR-DH800 7.1 system. The Nvidia is output to the AVR as is the HDTV. Everything works wonderfully in MS Windows. I just want to drop it and as soon as I get the same quality functionality out of Mint, I will.
uh oh -- running a Nvidia card in Linux :cry:
my guess is you will need to update the drivers for your GTX. I would go to the hardware section and ask how to get drivers for the GTX. Hopefully this is something that has been solved . ( Nvidia didn't like providing open source drivers or even specs -- leading to a legendary photo of our dearly beloved Mr. Torvalds :mrgreen: )

I would get in on this thread -- and ask for help
GTX 750
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Tonytitan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tonytitan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:54 pm

mike acker wrote:uh oh -- running a Nvidia card in Linux :cry:
my guess is you will need to update the drivers for your GTX. I would go to the hardware section and ask how to get drivers for the GTX. Hopefully this is something that has been solved . ( Nvidia didn't like providing open source drivers or even specs -- leading to a legendary photo of our dearly beloved Mr. Torvalds :mrgreen: )
I just updated to the Nvidia linux version 355.06 driver. I don't think it's the problem. I think I'm limited by PulseAudio to LPCM 5.1 and I don't know how to configure the workarounds(alsamixer and such). Any help would be much appreciated!

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Tonytitan wrote:
mike acker wrote:uh oh -- running a Nvidia card in Linux :cry:
I just updated to the Nvidia linux version 355.06 driver. I don't think it's the problem. I think I'm limited by PulseAudio to LPCM 5.1 and I don't know how to configure the workarounds(alsamixer and such). Any help would be much appreciated!
it seems Linux has 2 audio systems,-- PCM, and ALSA. I can select ALSA on some apps, e.g. Audacious but then the controls work only when manupulated by the Audacious app. both methods sound fine so I use the PCM

you should be able to open the sound settings applet and there you should find test buttons for the various channels . if these check out your app should work; otherwise I would think the app is not connecting to the system interface properly

these place for help on this is in the hardware forum, noted above . sorry i'm not more help . let's keep at this i'd like to find out what the resolution is

possible help here
¡Viva la Resistencia!

loganj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loganj » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:20 pm

probably u should try to find out how to sed nvidia hdmi sound by default on linux
my problem was the other way around
i couldn't play sound trough my default card cause nvidia was in the way with its hdmi output.
By the way you should probably install the official driver from nvidia and not the one from linuxmint.

from google https://www.piggott.me.uk/2011/03/26/ho ... nd-ubuntu/
or you should search more on google how to set pulseaudio with nvidia hdmi...alsa too if you want.
i mostly hate forums

Return to “Open chat”