Firefox blocks Flash

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Firefox blocks Flash

Post by exploder »

Fresh Player seems to have some issues and it is using pepper flash anyway.

https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerp ... -issues.md

Chrome seemed like the better option to me. There was a bit of a learning curve but I got used to it and by adding a couple of extensions I no longer miss using Firefox. I get the stable updates as soon as they are available and that matters a lot these days!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

exploder wrote:Chrome seemed like the better option to me.
Agreed; Firefox doesn't sandbox any of the Flash plugins. Google Chrome and (in most cases) Chromium do sandbox the PepperFlash plugin. You can see the sandbox status on chrome://sandbox in those two.
exploder wrote:There was a bit of a learning curve but I got used to it and by adding a couple of extensions I no longer miss using Firefox.
What kind of extensions did you add? So far I've mostly used Google Chrome only for watching Netflix :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I use the Adguard and Auto History Wipe extensions. Firefox can be set to clear history on exit but that did not work on Google Chrome. Auto History Wipe takes care of that problem. Adguard was more of a personal preference.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Auto History Wipe

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... adnj?hl=en

Adguard

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kllg?hl=en

Edit: Keep in mind that Google Chrome will use HTML5 when it is available and only uses pepper flash when it is the only option. I use YouTube a lot and Chrome always uses HTML5.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, I forgot I do have an extension. I have uBlock Origin to block ads. I'll have to look some more into history settings and extensions for that.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There are history settings but I never could get them to clear the history. The extension I provided a link to does the job and is totally reliable. uBlock Origin is pretty decent, the only reason I switched to Adguard was because I had a compatibility issue with uBlock Origin once where Chrome disabled it... Never had that problem with Adguard and it is just as light on resources. I do have to update it every now and then though.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

xenopeek wrote:I have one banking website I need to use, and that requires Flash.
My first thought: Speaking with the IT-responsible employee to change this nonsense. Surely not a at-once solution, but as long the customers don't complain, changes will surely take much more time.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Edit: Adobe Flash 11.2.202.491 has just been released and with that Firefox will no longer give you warnings (till the next vulnerability sees light of day). For Linux Mint 13 and 17.x, and for LMDE 1 and 2, just use Update Manager to upgrade it.

But I'm not reinstalling it :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

exploder wrote: I use YouTube a lot and Chrome always uses HTML5.
You can directly configure youtube to use only HTML5. That's the case for my system :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xenopeek wrote: But I'm not reinstalling it :)
Well I have tried to live without flash for a few hours now. I'm surprised to see how easy it is. Incredible.
I'm still expecting to find a website I like not working properly. But let's see! :)
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Happy people! Few hours without flash and everything seems OK! What they doing with your computers and internet? Seems not much... Sorry, I have only 15 minutes to find that flash is irreplaceable. Well, at least now.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Open Chat”