Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by linxmintq » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 am

3mutts wrote: I will eventually update all of the PCs in the house from 7 to 10.
If you do not love their freedom, you are accepting the policy of windows, and windows will use your data as you see fit.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:53 am

I really like the start menu. If Canonical had come up with this instead of Unity I might still be running Ubuntu. For me it has allowed me to remove a lot of shortcuts off my desktop and make them tiles in the start menu instead. The tiles can also be arranged in groups whose name you can define. IMO the start menu is a very good balance of flexibility and usability. The "live tile" feature is great too...I can glance the latest weather and headlines whenever I open the start menu which means I don't need this stuff cluttering the desktop. No doubt I'll find other things to clutter my desktop. :roll:

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:20 am

mintybits wrote:
killer de bug wrote:
mintybits wrote:The way it snaps windows into half screen or quarter screen and the way it restores the windows original size when you jiggle it is excellent.
Something, Linux is doing since years right?
Not as far as I know...
oh yeah, if i understand the effect in question, KDE does it aswell. just move the mouse up to the top left corner, cuts and shades the entire desktop to be viewed.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:48 am

linxmintq wrote:
3mutts wrote: I will eventually update all of the PCs in the house from 7 to 10.
If you do not love their freedom, you are accepting the policy of windows, and windows will use your data as you see fit.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:50 am

mintybits wrote:I really like the start menu. If Canonical had come up with this instead of Unity I might still be running Ubuntu. For me it has allowed me to remove a lot of shortcuts off my desktop and make them tiles in the start menu instead. The tiles can also be arranged in groups whose name you can define. IMO the start menu is a very good balance of flexibility and usability. The "live tile" feature is great too...I can glance the latest weather and headlines whenever I open the start menu which means I don't need this stuff cluttering the desktop. No doubt I'll find other things to clutter my desktop. :roll:
I used classicshell start menu with 8.1 but the default 10 start menu is pretty nice and I might keep it.

linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:32 pm

z31fanatic wrote: but the default 10 start menu is pretty nice and I might keep it.
As the menu of the old windows 7, in conclusion, windows 10 is more of the same of the other windows, and eliminated, the movie player and audio, windows media center.

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Re: So I tried to install Windows OS today and...

Post by JohnBobSmith » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Yes, my first post in this thread was heavily opinionated. I agree that both OS's have strengths and weaknesses, It's just that Windows weaknesses are just a bit too much for me to handle sometimes. I'm not trying to force any belief/value/whatever on anyone, I just ranted a bit and sorry if I have given offence.

On a related note, I have 2 USB wifi adapters and, after cleaning up my entire room as part of renovations, found both driver discs perfectly intact. Who would have thought!

Now to get a new flat screen monitor because the ancient CRT monitor I had (yes, CRT monitor that weighs 40lbs) didnt enjoy the trip down my porch stairs...

@z31fanatic
If I am messing with Linux and something breaks, then its my own fault that I have to fix it. I can't judge WIndows because, well, I dont use the OS (and the desktop im setting up is for my littler brother). So yes, I do feel free and liberated because I have the power over my PC. :)
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Not really, the new start menu is very different from previous Windows.

clievanov201
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clievanov201 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Windows 10 100% made for dummies...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Jeepty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jeepty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:36 pm

I just updated a laptop and I find that its a vast improvement over windows 8. It feels like windows 7 with a facelift. I haven't really dug into it deeply, but navigation through the system is much smoother and more intuitive than windows 8. I can't help but wonder if Microsoft purposefully made window 8 a train wreck on purpose, just so that windows 10 would seem that much better. :wink:

However, I still prefer my Mint.

Jeepty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jeepty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:49 pm

I feel your pain on the windows problems. Three months ago I put windows 7 pro on my wife's desktop and the initial updates were a nightmare!! hundreds of updates that needed to be installed in small blocks, in the correct order or the updates would fail. With restarts after each attempt.... A full wasted day of getting it up to "current" levels. :evil:

And then the drivers... I had to track the drivers for the gpu, which wasn't to big of a deal. But I have the same gpu in my linux desktop and it "just works" when I flip that switch.... All hail the monolithic Linux Kernel!!

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:52 pm

After two days of trying, I finally got it to install it on my 2014 Macbook Pro. I had to call MS directly to give me a key because my 8.1 version was the Embedded Industry Pro and the upgrade tool wouldn't let me update it without a key.
Anyway, W10 is silly fast on this machine. Everything opens instantly and very fluid. Faster than Yosemite and Mint 17.1 on the same machine (I triple boot).
I like the UI change. It's very modern. A much needed change from 7 which was very boring (same with all others before it).
MS seems to have done a good job with 10. So far so good.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Jeepty wrote:I feel your pain on the windows problems. Three months ago I put windows 7 pro on my wife's desktop and the initial updates were a nightmare!! hundreds of updates that needed to be installed in small blocks, in the correct order or the updates would fail. With restarts after each attempt.... A full wasted day of getting it up to "current" levels. :evil:
Yeah, if you are installing 7 from scratch in 2015, there are almost 200 updates about 1.2GB in size. It's annoying for sure but once you get past that period everything is fine.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:42 am

Just found out an annoying thing. Some apps can be updated from the settings menu, and others only from the store. Very annoying but I guess it's because of the addition of the app store in Windows where apps are different than the traditional desktop apps we were used to.

jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jahid » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:55 am

I upgraded windows 8.1 to 10 just to have the latest version of windows in my PC. I don't care about user experience or it's changes improvement at all. Just need to do some things like building softwares with visual studio, gaming etc... As long as these are OK, I am OK with it.

Windows 10 has some extra features for gaming though, I am looking forward to exploring those...

The most annoying thing is the update scheme. It don't even let me choose which to update and which to not... and all updates seem to be made compulsory.

N.B: It's windows 10 Pro
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:17 am

z31fanatic wrote: Yeah, if you are installing 7 from scratch in 2015, there are almost 200 updates about 1.2GB in size. It's annoying for sure but once you get past that period everything is fine.
Ah, good to know I wont be using that desktop for a few hours while it updates after I track down my new monitor. It may be painful, but I think my brother will really enjoy playing some of his favourite games again. :)
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 am

JohnBobSmith wrote:[
Ah, good to know I wont be using that desktop for a few hours while it updates
Or maybe a day or two :lol:

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:47 am

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that with the Pro version you can choose which updates to install and which ones to skip.

capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Well, it works. It works fast.

However, it would be completely deleted by any decent a anti-spyware program. Won't keep it, too many privacy concerns (yes, I waded through 43 pages of privacy policy and such). Most unwanted options can be switched off, but not all. I especially liked (cough) this one:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.

revivecomputers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revivecomputers » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:57 am

tdockery97 wrote:Tried it, reinstalled Mint 17.2 Cinnamon back on to take over the whole computer again. Windows 10 reminds me a little bit of when I first started using Linux six years ago. It seems to take a lot of workarounds to get things just the way I want. The difference is Linux was worth it; Windows 10 is not worth the trouble. In my opinion Mint far surpasses Windows 10 in ease of use and capability. I'm not a heavy gamer, so Linux is the clear winner.
I think you hit the nail on the head there, Linux is worth it. Once you get Windows 10 that's it, your stuck in that environment and system until they bring out the next OS. All a bit boring if you ask me. Love Linux and would never go back to Windows. It make look nice on top, but it's what's underneath that is the problem.

Return to “Open chat”