Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 am

exploder wrote: Let's face it your ISP knows your every move so it isn't just the operating system that can track you. Your privacy is at risk every single time you turn on your computer no matter what operating system you use.
Tor?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

richmorehave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richmorehave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 am

I think some of us are trying to RAISE the Consciousness of the masses, to the real threat this Privacy Invasion can cause them.

We already know that Political Correctness can OUT anyone, and the Press doesn't care how the info is obtained. Now, political climates do change over time , and your views on stuff today could be OUT of sync with "new political correctness" 5 years or 10 years from now. And all this info about you is SAVED. We see how private conversations or private emails can be used to stop anyone. So MS has this POWER since they are collecting EVERYTHING on your computer and anything attached to your windows 10 network (since it mentions other devices).

Our government is not going to protect your "privacy", and MS is not going to protect your "privacy", so who is? Tell me?

If you journal those files are stored, if you email anyone, those files are stored, if you have mic hooked up to PC, it can be turned on without you knowing about it. MS claims ownership of your PC, same as with your xboxONE. They own it, the "service" model NOW applies to windows 10, the same as the "service" model has been applied to xbox for a number of years.

Unless the people STAND up to this abuse of our privacy, it is exactly like the book 1984, except it's 2015. Cameras on every corner, every PC or smartphone is invading your privacy. And the government as gotten most of us to ACCEPT that this is the way it HAS TO BE. For the loss of 3,000 people on 9/11, the freedoms of 300 million people have been taken away for the good of the government, and it's NOT politically correct to "challenge" this. It's considered as anti-american. A country that was founded on Freedom of Privacy is being made into a country were you give up your Freedom of Privacy to be SAFE. The government can monitor everybody, and it started with homeland security, but now MS is claiming the same POWERS. The power to take away your privacy for the good of MS and it's friends.
Switched to Linux Mint to get away from windows 10 spying.
Until MS states that they will not scan,disclose and save any personal files, folders, on my PC, I will not trust them. I would need 3rd party verification.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:54 am

richmorehave wrote:A country that was founded on Freedom of Privacy is being made into a country were you give up your Freedom of Privacy to be SAFE. The government can monitor everybody, and it started with homeland security, but now MS is claiming the same POWERS. The power to take away your privacy for the good of MS and it's friends.
I've got a slightly different opinion than you on this. (MODS: I'm not trying to get into politics here, but if you feel I cross the line feel free to edit/delete as needed. :D )
Based on my study of America, it was founded on 3 specific rights: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Then in the Bill of Rights, you were guaranteed other specific rights, such as freedom of religion, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures, freedom of the press, freedom to keep and bear arms, freedom of trial by a jury of your peers, and so on. I don't recall "privacy" being mentioned anywhere.
Now of course, you could make the case that privacy is guaranteed by the freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures ("unreasonable" of course being highly subjective.) Is this what you're basing it on?

Please understand, I'm not trying to debate you, as in "Your wrong about this." I'm just trying to understand more.
Thanks!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I don't know...i download (considered illegal) video files from newsgroups all the time, and been actively using windows 10 for 2 months now...
Wonder why those diligent privacy invading microsoft employees haven't turned over the info about me to the feds yet...

Uh Oh...Someone is banging on my door...must be some FBI agents...anyone know if they allow laptops in the federal penitentiary? :?
I better go hide under my bed now...This is all windows fault :lol: You were right richmorehave...I should have listened to you...

richmorehave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richmorehave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:04 pm

I turned to LINUX in an attempt to get away from windows 10 spying. This thread is on "Your opinions on Windows 10 so far...".

Linux to me means "respect for privacy". I would just like to be helpful in letting people know they have a choice. Many people don't know what MS is doing. So I bang them on the HEAD, with a rubber ducky. :) "wake up". :mrgreen:

p.s. You might want to edit your post (and I'll edit the p.s.) , because you don't want to reveal that in OPEN forum rooms. I mentioned Bing BOT is saving our posts. What you said could be used by MS to "get you". It states that obtaining software, media illegally is a violation of MS code of CONDUCT. That is in different section of Privacy CODE. NOW you are understanding what this means, and there is plenty of other stuff you probably do, that could be used against you. Do you have any mp3's on your computer that you didn't pay for? Do you get it, yet? All is FAIR game with windows 10. Not with Linux.
Until MS states that they will not scan,disclose and save any personal files, folders, on my PC, I will not trust them. I would need 3rd party verification.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:26 pm

The spying in Windows 10 is bad, because it's used to created a detailed secret profile of you. Which Microsoft then sells to other companies, so they can better target you with advertisements and spam.

Even worse: insurance companies might base the height of your insurance premiums on your secret profile. Nice, when your profile shows that you're a regular customer of McDonald's, for instance: that means higher premiums for health associated insurances. Or that you buy a lot of beer regularly. The examples are endless.

And who says that your profile can't be acquired by a company where you've applied for a job? It's already getting worse, isn't it? Or that your profile, with the most intimate details of you, is stolen by a hacker who uses it for identity theft, so he can get loans in your name? Still worse, right?

People who don't care about their privacy, will eventually find out why they're horribly wrong. Sooner or later. Inevitably.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Oh sure...i have plenty of mp3s too...a lot of people download videos and mp3s from the internet...nothing unique about what i do...must be MILLIONS out there that do that...If they would grab me, they should also be prepared to grab millions of others too...i guess there is safety in numbers, as it were...

As to Windows 10, although earlier computers i have had came with windows of course, i always ended up wiping it out and installing ubuntu (or mint when i used it prior to unity days when i went back to ubuntu)...Since 10 was being offered free (and i still had my 7 restore discs) i figured i would give it a shot out of curiousity...did the upgrade and then an clean install...I loved the changes...it didn't feel like old windows anymore, had a nice MODERN feel and was fun to use, looked really nice and was a real pleasure to use...it actually has lured me away from ubuntu and linux and i now am using as my main, everyday system.

To me, it had to be really good to lure me away from ubuntu and linux, and i am finding that (at least for me) it is...
It's not that i don't care about privacy, it's that i realize that it is something you basically have to accept if you are going to use internet, android phones, etc...it just comes with the territory...and if you are going to use those kind of things, there just isn't really any way to escape it...

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:37 pm

I totally agree with Pjotr. Microsoft says Windows 10 is the last Windows, for me Windows 7 is the last.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:38 pm

craig10x wrote:it actually has lured me away from ubuntu and linux and i now am using as my main, everyday system.

To me, it had to be really good to lure me away from ubuntu and linux, and i am finding that (at least for me) it is...
Well then, goodbye and may you live happily ever after. :lol:

May I suggest to you a new place to hang out, where I'm sure you'll be much happier among like-minded friends:
https://windowsforum.com/

Don't forget to close the door of this forum behind you. :wink:
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:39 pm

richmorehave wrote::
p.s. You might want to edit your post (and I'll edit the p.s.) , because you don't want to reveal that in OPEN forum rooms. I mentioned Bing BOT is saving our posts. What you said could be used by MS to "get you". It states that obtaining software, media illegally is a violation of MS code of CONDUCT. That is in different section of Privacy CODE. NOW you are understanding what this means, and there is plenty of other stuff you probably do, that could be used against you. Do you have any mp3's on your computer that you didn't pay for? Do you get it, yet? All is FAIR game with windows 10. Not with Linux.

Someone had to do it. :mrgreen:

richmorehave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richmorehave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:43 pm

I mentioned it a few pages back, you are small fish. So am I. Windows 10 is gathering all this info about you and everybody else to shut down all the places you go to if they are doing anything questionable. They state in the privacy statement that obtaining illegal software will be grounds to turn you in, and pass this info to their friends. So, windows 10 users are being used to close down many sites. MS will hide behind all this, because I'm sure that is "secret pact" they have with their friends. They have a gag order NOT to share with you what is going on behind the scenes. Some people think that MS gave a "wink" to it's users, letting them know, what info is being collected about them.

It's like a Judge asks MS " Is the government forcing you to obtain and save all this info about everybody."

And MS states LOUDLY " NO of course NOT!!!!!!!", ....... all the while MS is shaking their heads up and down, implying YES, YES , YES. :)

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:31 pm

I do not have a problem with illegal sites being shut down as a result of privacy in Windows 10. My concerns are of a more political nature. I have Windows 10 installed on my laptop because of classes I may be taking in the near future. I have reservations about what I do on the laptop and it's use. My daily use computer runs Linux and I have far less privacy concerns using it.

I see privacy as a global concern that is not just limited to the US. Entire countries are promoting Linux use now and we know the underlying reasons. I could maybe live with say Google targeting me with ads based on my web habits, it's annoying but harmless. What I can't live with is an organization collecting massive amounts of data that could be used politically. Maybe I am part of the tinfoil hat crowd but what if there is something to it?

There is enough information about these data farms to raise serious questions about why they exist. Why is data that is collected not deleted after being deemed non security related? There are just too many unanswered questions in my mind.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:35 pm

@Pjotr: Actually, i am active on a windows 10 forum and a big difference i noticed is that unlike here (and some of the other linux distro forums) people don't hate on linux, ubuntu or mint the way some here on the mint forum hates on windows...And there are people over there who use both of course...

As i mentioned, after discovering linux quite a few years ago, i made the switch...i did check out windows occasionally, including running 7 on my new computer for a few months before switching back to ubuntu. Decided to try 10 just to satisfy my curiousity...

I didn't expect to end up liking it so much but i did and that's the main reason i switched back...also, i shut off a lot of the privacy related stuff in 10...which is pretty simple to do and just takes a few minutes...although i did leave a few things on that i considered essential for things to work properly...

Just because i switched back, doesn't mean i still don't have a fondness for linux and i wouldn't bad mouth it like some of you do about windows...even though i do feel it has it faults and flaws as well :wink:

Anyway, that' s the story and i don't really see much point in continuing posting in this particular thread since no matter what i say, he is going to have some snappy answer for :roll:
Last edited by craig10x on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:36 pm

exploder wrote:There is enough information about these data farms to raise serious questions about why they exist. Why is data that is collected not deleted after being deemed non security related?
Because it's worth money.... Quite a lot, in fact. See this earlier message of me, in this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1082350

richmorehave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richmorehave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:45 pm

craig10x
If you read my earlier posts about windows 10. I love windows 10 but I HATE the privacy invasion. In the windows forum, they don't seem to care about the invasion of privacy, which baffles me. It's not that some people don't care. In fact, I saw many people complain about the privacy concerns, and those posts were deleted , or moved to "trash" area. It's heavy moderated by PRO MS sympathizers.

Again, I love windows 10, but HATE and detest the privacy policies.

I love Linux because it is OPEN source and is built by the community for the community. And the CODE is examined for security breaches.

Enjoy windows 10! As time goes on, I'm sure you will start to feel "unsafe". Maybe not. :)

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:46 pm

I had not thought about insurance companies buying the data but it does make sense. Insurance companies are using peoples habits to raise their rates.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks richmorehave...i didn't realize you love windows 10 also...and believe me, i am not thrilled either about the privacy aspects but my enjoyment of using the OS seems to be "over-riding" the privacy business... :wink: :D

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:21 pm

richmorehave wrote:In the windows forum, they don't seem to care about the invasion of privacy, which baffles me. It's not that some people don't care. In fact, I saw many people complain about the privacy concerns, and those posts were deleted , or moved to "trash" area. It's heavy moderated by PRO MS sympathizers.
What Windows forum is that?

I visit tenforums and never seen heavy moderations like you say. http://www.tenforums.com

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:24 pm

craig10x wrote:@Pjotr: Actually, i am active on a windows 10 forum and a big difference i noticed is that unlike here (and some of the other linux distro forums) people don't hate on linux, ubuntu or mint the way some here on the mint forum hates on windows...And there are people over there who use both of course...
That has been my experience too and I don't understand it.
What has MS done to the Linux users that there is so much hate?

richmorehave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richmorehave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:29 pm

.... "edited by me". I'll chill out and watch a movie or something. It was fun hanging with you guys. I'll check in later, and let you guys discuss it and have fun.
Long Live LINUX! :)
Last edited by richmorehave on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Open chat”