Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
craig10x

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by craig10x »

Yes...that is coming in November...would have made my install so much easier :wink: :D
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Yes, the path to being spied will be shorter!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Exactly :lol:
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

i have been a windows user since windows xp and really have never had any complaints with it or can't really say anything bad about it. i have done the upgrade to windows 10 on a couple of computers however those are sitting on a shelf unplugged and not in use but if needed i can put them into service. windows 10 i can complain about as to i hate all of the privacy intrusion that it does. my only complaint with windows 10 which is why i have chose to not use it.

i have made the migration from windows to linux as an alternative to microsoft almost a year now and enjoy using and learning it. for my minimal computer needs it does seem to do every thing that i used my windows OS for. the exception is i run microsoft flight simulator x and still use windows 7 for that purpose. i have considered buying x-plane flight simulator as it is able to run in linux.

i think whatever OS a person uses is all about there needs and there knowledge about an OS that they are choosing to use or what they feel they are most comfortable using. also certain software apps will only run on a windows OS. most people seem to just buy and use what is and has been accepted as the norm and never will explore different avenues as people just don't like change or don't want to spend the time to research what is available for them to use. i am glad that i made the choice to seek and find what my choices are. i use ubuntu 14.04 and linux mint 17.1 and linux mint 17.2 and have no complaints with any of them as they are all my main drivers just depends on where i am at in my house as i have several desktops in different locations. another plus with linux OS is it does give new life to older computers still using older hardware. i have shown others the world of linux and what it is capable of and some have migrated to it from windows xp and have had no problems with the learning curve.

this is just my own experience and opinion.
the poorguy
Last edited by poorguy on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

poorguy wrote: for my minimal computer needs it does seem to do every thing that i used my windows OS for.
Yes for basic home use Linux can the the only OS you'll ever need.
For me it can't be the only OS. There are commercial CAD/CAM software that aren't available on Linux or Mac so Windows is a must. Also the Office suite is a great piece of software and you can't do without it in the business and education world.
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

z31fanatic wrote:
poorguy wrote: for my minimal computer needs it does seem to do every thing that i used my windows OS for.
For me it can't be the only OS. There are commercial CAD/CAM software that aren't available on Linux or Mac so Windows is a must. Also the Office suite is a great piece of software and you can't do without it in the business and education world.
My issue too...I need Photoshop (not GiMP EVER) and Magix Video Editor...I need them for work. I also need an older version of Word (2005 to be exact) to format my books for publication. I also run a lot of security software for my business when fixing computers, and I have to use Windows for that also because I'm fixing Win computers, or to create a bootable Win USB etc. I just can't get newer versions or LibreOffice to do what I want or need. It is the ONLY reason I still use Win7 (DB) or Vista(VM).
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

z31fanatic wrote:
i do agree.
at my work we use viso and so windows is it.
i believe in time linux developers will create more software for the workplace.
but for use in the home it is awesome as it just works for me and i have had very minimal issues with hardware or software using linux.
i do like the fact that i can use all my 40 gb hard drives and all of my old desktops that i put together with lots of horsepower for the time that i built them. some are ten years old and run really well with linux. it is sad that so many will never learn to appreciate or experience the world of open source and the freedom one can have to change and design their own OS / distro to their own needs and then be able to ad to it for whatever is needed later. oh well that is what it is all about is the freedom to choose.

the poorguy
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

as for windows 10 privacy intrusion i don't think that most people have ever given that any thought as most people see free and jump on it without any thoughts.
the first thing i did was scan over the EULA and did lots of research about it. as mentioned earlier i did do the upgrade on a couple of my computers just to have it in case it was ever needed but shelved them both. privacy intrusion has been around for awhile in apple and android and of course google chrome and it wouldn't surprise me if most of the cloud base stuff is being rifled for information on our searches. i don't think that microsoft is sitting around monitoring every thing we do it is just the fact that once the have the information they are allowed to sell it or do with it what they want. they do claim to scrub all of ones personal information that can be harmful in gotten hold of by the wrong source it is just the fact that they have it and are able to use it.

just my opinion.
the poorguy
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

poorguy wrote:i don't think that microsoft is sitting around monitoring every thing we do it is just the fact that once the have the information they are allowed to sell it or do with it what they want. they do claim to scrub all of ones personal information that can be harmful in gotten hold of by the wrong source it is just the fact that they have it and are able to use it.

just my opinion.
the poorguy
Give an inch and they'll take a mile...inch by inch
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

duneelliot wrote:
poorguy wrote:i don't think that microsoft is sitting around monitoring every thing we do it is just the fact that once the have the information they are allowed to sell it or do with it what they want. they do claim to scrub all of ones personal information that can be harmful in gotten hold of by the wrong source it is just the fact that they have it and are able to use it.

just my opinion.
the poorguy
Give an inch and they'll take a mile...inch by inch
agreed and that is why my windows 10 computers are unplugged and sitting on a shelf where they are being used best.

enjoy whatever OS you use and learn to use smart web habits as nothing is bullet proof and i have been unable to find that "COMMON SENSE DOWNLOAD".

to all a good day and computer life is good because some of us choose linux.
the poorguy
richmorehave

Post by richmorehave »

Same here. All my pc's have windows 10 on them, but I'm not using it until this matter is addressed and NEW TOS is made.

The problem is that the government is not going to step in on our behalf, because they want all that data on everybody too.

So, who is acting on the behave of our Privacy Concerns? Nobody!

In the past, if a company was doing something wrong , the government could step in, but not in this case. That is what is so frustrating about this.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

richmorehave wrote:So, who is acting on the behave of our Privacy Concerns? Nobody!
Maybe the EFF https://www.eff.org/
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

z31fanatic wrote:Also the Office suite is a great piece of software
Hum? We do not have the same definition of great.
Or maybe your usage of this software suite is too common so that you don't see the problems.
z31fanatic wrote:and you can't do without it in the business
This is a company policy. Solutions exist but it's easier to keep on with the old habits. PowerPoint is the most useful tool of this suite for a company and solutions to replace it exist.
z31fanatic wrote:and education world.
For education world, this suite is not a tool, it's a problem. Especially if you are at the university. Real tools to replace it exist and are widely used. And I don't speak only about free softwares.
Mr.October

Post by Mr.October »

I started with Linux because of Windows 10. What I heard and read about it made me decide to find something else. And I found it. It is called Linux Mint.
My laptop still has Windows 7 but I hardly use it anymore since I installed Mint. Can do everything with it so no need to go back.
Problems are solved here in the forum or I find the answers myself, just great.

Okay, it's free, but is that a reason to make the worlds largest spyware? No, I don't want it. Not only because of the spyware, but also the way it looks and works. Who needs those giant tiles on his screen? Who really wants that? Not me, I can tell you.

Just let me enjoy Mint and I am a happy person.
Thank you.
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

i don't know that spyware is a good term for what is happening i think it is more about marketing and making money off what we search for. the government really don't need our permission to monitor what we are doing over the internet. it can be done by Microsoft and probably has been done for years without our knowing it. the government already knows more about what we do than we do about ourselves. microsoft is now only letting us know that they are doing what they are and it all of the sudden has become a big issue because we now are aware of it. it isn't really spying because if you read the EULA i know that i did they inform you prior to your accepting the upgrade.

WHAT I THOUGHT YOU READ THE EULA! you should have.

1st rule is never trust anyone.
2nd rule is don't forget rule #1

if one doesn't read the EULA then i can only say that you are a TRUSTING SOUL.
i never sign anything without reading it through and i don't care if it takes all day long and software downloads are no different. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF to know what you are downloading and installing on your computer. it is that simple and the only side that i am on and the only side that i am taking is MINE.

just my own opinion.
the poorguy
Last edited by poorguy on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

poorguy wrote: microsoft is now only letting us know that they are doing what they are and it all of the sudden has become a big issue because we now are aware of it.
Well said.
richmorehave

Post by richmorehave »

z31fanatic wrote:
poorguy wrote: microsoft is now only letting us know that they are doing what they are and it all of the sudden has become a big issue because we now are aware of it.
Well said.
If in the past they didn't tell us what they are doing, and NOW they are, I wonder if it's because you are NOW advised of what they are doing and how they will tell their friends what you are doing for civil action or criminal action. MS tells you point blank your private files, private folders, and private emails are now going to be scanned, disclosed, and saved, maybe now they can move on to second phase. Of turning this over to their friends to take you to civil court for copyright infringement.

I mean if you accept their TOS , then you were advised what they will do if you break the law. Before it could have been about NSA stuff, now it's about copyright stuff. And they will know when, where and how you obtained your illegal stuff. Also, they will collect everybody's data, for maybe future action.
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

richmorehave wrote:
z31fanatic wrote:
Well said.
If in the past they didn't tell us what they are doing, and NOW they are, I wonder if it's because you are NOW advised of what they are doing and how they will tell their friends what you are doing for civil action or criminal action. MS tells you point blank your private files, private folders, and private emails are now going to be scanned, disclosed, and saved, maybe now they can move on to second phase. Of turning this over to their friends to take you to civil court for copyright infringement.

I mean if you accept their TOS , then you were advised what they will do if you break the law. Before it could have been about NSA stuff, now it's about copyright stuff. And they will know when, where and how you obtained your illegal stuff. Also, they will collect everybody's data, for maybe future action.

just because i downloaded and installed the upgrade doesn't mean that i accept TOS.

my whole point is everyone acts surprised that what microsoft is doing is something new and it isn't.

just my opinion
the poorguy
Last edited by poorguy on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I wasn't going to return to this thread, but I had a thought: How many local/national government computers have received / will receive the upgrade to Microsoft Windows 10 :roll: ? Obviously, not all such computers are secure to begin with - this has been demonstrated numerous times by entities from as powerful as rival governments all the way down to bored schoolchildren, but... I wonder just how secure those Microsoft servers that hold the data Microsoft rapes are, lol?

BtW, this thread just keeps getting funnier and funnier as more Microsoft apologists try to make excuses and call things by different names in order to justify (to themselves, if nothing else) installing this foul thing. It's almost like walking by a shady used car dealer's lot Monday morning after he partied all his money away the previous weekend and is desperately saying anything he can think of in an attempt to sell the heaps that weren't even worth taking to the auction.
poorguy wrote:i believe in time linux developers will create more software for the workplace.
Why should they? There's no motivation... The vast majority of software written to run under linux was written by people that did so for their own use and, incidentally, released it because other people might have some use for it, too. There isn't a lot of commercial business software written for linux. Most linux users seem to expect it to be FREE. I know that Clem and other distro developers do get some donations, but how many people even pay for their linux OS? I haven't (admittedly, in my case it's because I cannot afford to - I'd give Clem $100 if I could afford to without having to think twice).

"Why isn't there a version of {game} for linux?" "Why do I have to jump through hoops to view Netflix in linux?" "Why isn't there a version of the software that my business runs for linux?" "Why...?" "Why...?" "Why...?"

<DUH!>

Because 99.999% of the people asking those questions are still using the versions that were written to run under a Microsoft (or, to a lesser extent, Apple) OS! If you want a version of {product} for linux, stop using the non-linux version, FFS! Stop buying the stuff, stop updating the stuff, stop using the stuff. In fact, write a letter (an actual letter) to the developer of {product} stating that, although you like his/her product, you are henceforth ceasing to use it unless/until the person produces a linux version, and mail it. If you want to be really effective, pick a date - and everyone mail those letters on the same date.

Hey, some people actually emailed some companies telling them that they wanted linux versions of those companies' software. But... as it stands now, they keep on using the Microsoft version. If I'm a developer (or the producer of any kind of product, really), I'm going to get complaints. There are, basically, two types of complaints. The first type is from customers who are going to keep buying your product whether you address their complaints or not. Those pretty much end up in the trash can. It's the complaints from people who are ditching the product for a competitor's (or just doing without, if there is a dearth of alternatives) that get addressed. Because those people stop paying everyone's salaries when they go. If you don't believe me... Look at the history of telephone service in the United States.
killer de bug wrote:
I had the same reaction (on all points, I just didn't bother to quote your entire post), lol. When I first tried that PoS, I thought it was bad. Someone suggested that I take the time to learn to use it, maybe read a book (or two - it appears that there's an industry profiting from the mediocrity of that particular bit of software drivel) about it, so that I could form a proper opinion. I took their advice and did so: It is, in fact, extremely horrible.

As to the rest of your points... Apathy? People are just so incredibly lazy that they do not bother solving anything because they can just continue to sit there and allow the status quo to maintain itself? Maybe they think if they're really lucky, someone will be along to hook them up to a nutritional drip and start dressing them in diapers, too.

Apathy ought to be a crime with capital punishment as the only sentence. After all, even murderers can only destroy a life, a few lives, some families... in some few extreme cases, maybe a few million people, lol. Apathy destroys far more than that.
poorguy wrote:i don't know that spyware is a good term for what is happening i think it is more about marketing and making money off what we search for.
Please go read the definition of spyware before posting again about the subject :roll: .
poorguy wrote:the government and microsoft really don't need any of our permission
While you're reading, you should go read the relevant government documents covering whatever country you live in. <SCRATCHES HEAD> I don't recall Microsoft getting elected as a governing body in any country on this planet. Why you are equating the two, I have no idea - but that kind of attitude is certainly NOT going to ever help the issue (unless... you know... you're batting for the other team in this event).
poorguy wrote:it isn't really spying because if you read the EULA i know that i did they inform you
What time does your wife take her shower? I might just drop by to peek through the window. I'm informing you in advance - so it won't really be spying.

Something else you can go read the definition of, I suppose....

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

MtnDewManiac wrote:I wasn't going to return to this thread, but I had a thought: How many local/national government computers have received / will receive the upgrade to Microsoft Windows 10 :roll: ? Obviously, not all such computers are secure to begin with - this has been demonstrated numerous times by entities from as powerful as rival governments all the way down to bored schoolchildren, but... I wonder just how secure those Microsoft servers that hold the data Microsoft rapes are, lol?

BtW, this thread just keeps getting funnier and funnier as more Microsoft apologists try to make excuses and call things by different names in order to justify (to themselves, if nothing else) installing this foul thing. It's almost like walking by a shady used car dealer's lot Monday morning after he partied all his money away the previous weekend and is desperately saying anything he can think of in an attempt to sell the heaps that weren't even worth taking to the auction.
poorguy wrote:i believe in time linux developers will create more software for the workplace.
Why should they? There's no motivation... The vast majority of software written to run under linux was written by people that did so for their own use and, incidentally, released it because other people might have some use for it, too. There isn't a lot of commercial business software written for linux. Most linux users seem to expect it to be FREE. I know that Clem and other distro developers do get some donations, but how many people even pay for their linux OS? I haven't (admittedly, in my case it's because I cannot afford to - I'd give Clem $100 if I could afford to without having to think twice).

"Why isn't there a version of {game} for linux?" "Why do I have to jump through hoops to view Netflix in linux?" "Why isn't there a version of the software that my business runs for linux?" "Why...?" "Why...?" "Why...?"

<DUH!>

Because 99.999% of the people asking those questions are still using the versions that were written to run under a Microsoft (or, to a lesser extent, Apple) OS! If you want a version of {product} for linux, stop using the non-linux version, FFS! Stop buying the stuff, stop updating the stuff, stop using the stuff. In fact, write a letter (an actual letter) to the developer of {product} stating that, although you like his/her product, you are henceforth ceasing to use it unless/until the person produces a linux version, and mail it. If you want to be really effective, pick a date - and everyone mail those letters on the same date.

Hey, some people actually emailed some companies telling them that they wanted linux versions of those companies' software. But... as it stands now, they keep on using the Microsoft version. If I'm a developer (or the producer of any kind of product, really), I'm going to get complaints. There are, basically, two types of complaints. The first type is from customers who are going to keep buying your product whether you address their complaints or not. Those pretty much end up in the trash can. It's the complaints from people who are ditching the product for a competitor's (or just doing without, if there is a dearth of alternatives) that get addressed. Because those people stop paying everyone's salaries when they go. If you don't believe me... Look at the history of telephone service in the United States.
killer de bug wrote:
I had the same reaction (on all points, I just didn't bother to quote your entire post), lol. When I first tried that PoS, I thought it was bad. Someone suggested that I take the time to learn to use it, maybe read a book (or two - it appears that there's an industry profiting from the mediocrity of that particular bit of software drivel) about it, so that I could form a proper opinion. I took their advice and did so: It is, in fact, extremely horrible.

As to the rest of your points... Apathy? People are just so incredibly lazy that they do not bother solving anything because they can just continue to sit there and allow the status quo to maintain itself? Maybe they think if they're really lucky, someone will be along to hook them up to a nutritional drip and start dressing them in diapers, too.

Apathy ought to be a crime with capital punishment as the only sentence. After all, even murderers can only destroy a life, a few lives, some families... in some few extreme cases, maybe a few million people, lol. Apathy destroys far more than that.
poorguy wrote:i don't know that spyware is a good term for what is happening i think it is more about marketing and making money off what we search for.
Please go read the definition of spyware before posting again about the subject :roll: .
poorguy wrote:the government and microsoft really don't need any of our permission
While you're reading, you should go read the relevant government documents covering whatever country you live in. <SCRATCHES HEAD> I don't recall Microsoft getting elected as a governing body in any country on this planet. Why you are equating the two, I have no idea - but that kind of attitude is certainly NOT going to ever help the issue (unless... you know... you're batting for the other team in this event).
poorguy wrote:it isn't really spying because if you read the EULA i know that i did they inform you
What time does your wife take her shower? I might just drop by to peek through the window. I'm informing you in advance - so it won't really be spying.

Something else you can go read the definition of, I suppose....

Regards,
MDM
never said microsoft was a governing body in any state but they do have the ability to monitor you without you knowing it.
i am not batting for anyone but myself nor am i a Microsoft apologist.
and as far as i am concerned as to your opinion it doesn't matter.
if you are as perfect as you think you are implement the changes you talk about as you sound as you are all BLOW and that is all you probably are capable of doing.
Last edited by poorguy on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Chat”