Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Chiefahol

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by Chiefahol »

Looks okay, i'm glad they eliminated/reduced the metro interface, it made life harder for a lot of people.

I probably won't update my machines for a month or two, it might be wise to wait until some of the bugs are ironed out.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Chiefahol wrote: I probably won't update my machines for a month or two, it might be wise to wait until some of the bugs are ironed out.
I upgraded all my machines but you are right, it's wiser to wait a few months for the dust to settle.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

What Windows 10 feature knocks your socks off?

Post by all41 »

Why migrate? Tell us, the good, the bad, and the ugly
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: we already have a Windows 10 opinion piece going; topics merged
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What Windows 10 feature knocks your socks off?

Post by z31fanatic »

I don't know about knocking my socks off but I really like some of the metro apps like Weather, Mail, and Calendar. Very modern and beautiful looking and they work very well.
I like the improvements in the UI in general. They have made it look pleasing on the eye, that's for sure.
jonnymoon96

Post by jonnymoon96 »

I dont recommend it privacy issues it is a huge mistake to upgrade from windows 7 or 8 to windows 10

https://blog.startpage.com/our-latest-d ... n-diguise/
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Just discovered the Casting feature of W10. I can choose a MKV video file from my NAS and cast it to my Panasonic TV. :D
Nice feature and I will be using it often.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Holy...!!! This is a nightmare. You may want to ban your friends from connecting to your wifi if they are using W10. Geez

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-kill- ... 3324380311
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I don't recommend it privacy issues it is a huge mistake to upgrade from windows 7 or 8 to windows 10.
There's always been spyware in windows machines IMO. It's just part of the windows experience. :D
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

It seems to be pretty much the same as 8/8.1 with most of the metro front-end gone.

I disagree that it's "pleasing to the eye". To me the entire UI seems a bit of a mish-mash.

The big problem is that half of the system utils (control panel, file-explorer, etc) are hold-overs from Windows 7
and some others (the Settings screens) are the new (very dull grey-looking) Windows 10 versions.

It's all rather confusing and messy.

Also, some key features of the UI just don't look right (to me, at least):

The Windows gadgets (minimise, restore, close) are spaced too far apart.
The taskbar icons are too small.
The font on the new Windows 10 start menu is also too small.
The look of the the new notification icons is very poor, even compared to Win 8.1
Some of the control panel icons are straight out of Win 3.1 - confused happened to the 'System' icon?

The operation of the OS (UI appearance aside) is okay, but things like the new Update procedure
and some of the privacy 'features' are a step backwards.

Cheers,

Mike.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Gotta love the drive by shooters. :lol:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I thought Windows 8 was the best thing to happen to Linux, now it looks like Windows 10 takes that title:
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... microsoft/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-ne ... 9206.shtml
I wouldn't touch that OS. So glad I moved to Linux and Mint years ago :)
Edit: MS almost makes Facebook look like privacy advocates.

As Microsoft puts it:

Rather than residing as a static software program on your device, key components of Windows are cloud-based. … In order to provide this computing experience, we collect data about you, your device, and the way you use Windows.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _them.html?
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

I am really surprised. I thought Nutella knew what he was doing but this is a serious goof. Rather than W10 enjoying a reputation of being an improvement, at long last, over W7, it will have a reputation for being insecure spyware. Jerks.

In this day and age the last think an OS maker needs is to be associated with privacy and security disregard.

Hey, I'm in Sweden now...i visited the Volvo museum today and they had some visitor info PCs, all running XP. :P
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

mintybits wrote:I am really surprised. I thought Nutella knew what he was doing but this is a serious goof. Rather than W10 enjoying a reputation of being an improvement, at long last, over W7, it will have a reputation for being insecure spyware. Jerks.

In this day and age the last think an OS maker needs is to be associated with privacy and security disregard.

Hey, I'm in Sweden now...i visited the Volvo museum today and they had some visitor info PCs, all running XP. :P
I worry about small businesses, doctor's offices, etc., that need Windows and may be exposing patient & customer info via Win10.
That Slate article lists a ton of stuff that has to be turned off for privacy. There is no way installing Linux Mint is hard or complicated compared to dealing with all that. Really no excuse for not installing Mint if privacy is even remotely important to anyone.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

KBD47 wrote: I worry about small businesses, doctor's offices, etc., that need Windows and may be exposing patient & customer info via Win10.
Hospitals, doctors offices, and pretty much everyone in healthcare use Windows embedded and most of their computers are not even connected to the internet.
Plus it will be a long time until they switch to 10. Most if not all are still running 7 or XP.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

KBD47 wrote:
mintybits wrote: Really no excuse for not installing Mint if privacy is even remotely important to anyone.
I hope you don't use Google services, Facebook, or twitter in your Linux install since you are so concerned about privacy.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

z31fanatic wrote: I hope you don't use Google services, Facebook, or twitter in your Linux install since you are so concerned about privacy.
Let's see where is the difference:
--> Google does not charge me for anything and I still get: Search Engine, YouTube, Google Sites, Drive, E-mail, Earth, Maps, Docs, Chrome... I can choose if I want to use Google services or not, the choice is up to me.

--> I paid for Windows and I get: Unconditional privacy invasion (i.e. I do not have a choice). They will earn millions over a product I have already paid for, thanks to my personal data and I have no choice (the only choice is: download Linux Mint or give away your data and pay for it).

About twitter and facebook: I do not have accounts there, so they don't spy on me and my conversations (again, the choice is up to me).

Did you see the difference? Just my opinion. LOL!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

z31fanatic wrote:
KBD47 wrote:
mintybits wrote: Really no excuse for not installing Mint if privacy is even remotely important to anyone.
I hope you don't use Google services, Facebook, or twitter in your Linux install since you are so concerned about privacy.
I don't use Facebook. I have all the privacy settings turned on at Google and pull my Gmail off their server with Thunderbird. Twitter, No. All these free services cost your privacy, except for Linux which is truly free.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

BlueKnight wrote:
z31fanatic wrote: I hope you don't use Google services, Facebook, or twitter in your Linux install since you are so concerned about privacy.
Let's see where is the difference:
--> Google does not charge me for anything and I still get: Search Engine, YouTube, Google Sites, Drive, E-mail, Earth, Maps, Docs, Chrome... I can choose if I want to use Google services or not, the choice is up to me.

--> I paid for Windows and I get: Unconditional privacy invasion (i.e. I do not have a choice). They will earn millions over a product I have already paid for, thanks to my personal data and I have no choice (the only choice is: download Linux Mint or give away your data and pay for it).

About twitter and facebook: I do not have accounts there, so they don't spy on me and my conversations (again, the choice is up to me).

Did you see the difference? Just my opinion. LOL!
No I don't see the difference. Your privacy is flushed down the toilet when you use google, facebook, twitter, and the likes. Facebook and Google also earn millions selling your information to companies.

Do you see your hypocrisy?
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

z31fanatic wrote: Do you see your hypocrisy?
There is no hypocrisy. As I said, I am not forced to use Google services I use because I want and I am still not paying for anything.

Unlike Windows, which already cost a ton of money and still wants to make money out of your data without your consent while using it. As if all the bundled ads weren't enough.

If you agree to that, go ahead and use your Windows 10. I simply do not.

Did you see the difference!? LOL!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

BTW - to turn off the Google junk go to your Gmail account, click on your email address at the top right of the page, then: my account/personal info & privacy/activity controls. Go down the page and turn off everything you don't need. And don't forget "manage ad settings".
Since that is done online an update should not reset everything like with Windows.

Return to “Open Chat”