35%

Total votes: 26

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Why do you dual-boot?

Post by Fred Barclay » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:08 pm

BigEasy wrote:
coder123 wrote:Hey I thought it'd be interesting to make a poll about reasons for dual-booting because my reason for dual-booting has changed over time. IMO dual-booting is one of the phases in making the transition to Linux unless you have particular reason such as running a particular game or app that won't run on Linux or there is no good Linux equivalent. (both of which should fade as reasons as time goes on IMO with equivalents for app being made and porting for games)
What is dual booting? I have not dual booting but triple. All is Linuxes. Change your poll items, please. Or theme's title to "Why do you dual-boot with Windows?"
I don't think the OP required Windows. I'm straight Linux, but I still dual-boot different distros.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:56 pm

I often imagine Linux (and BSD, Haiku, ReactOS...) distros are dual booting but Linux and Windows are duel booting :wink:

Anyway, same for me as for Fred. I don't use Windows at home but do dual boot open source OSes.

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
BigEasy wrote:
coder123 wrote:Hey I thought it'd be interesting to make a poll about reasons for dual-booting because my reason for dual-booting has changed over time. IMO dual-booting is one of the phases in making the transition to Linux unless you have particular reason such as running a particular game or app that won't run on Linux or there is no good Linux equivalent. (both of which should fade as reasons as time goes on IMO with equivalents for app being made and porting for games)
What is dual booting? I have not dual booting but triple. All is Linuxes. Change your poll items, please. Or theme's title to "Why do you dual-boot with Windows?"
I don't think the OP required Windows. I'm straight Linux, but I still dual-boot different distros.
I assumed dual-booting windows. Dual-booting between two Linux distros is something I never considered. To those of you who dual-boot (or triple boot ect) between Linux distros can you please explain why you don't just use one? Are you doing it to test out other distros? If so, why not just use a virtual machine for the dstro you're testing?
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 pm

I like to watch how things goes on in different distros. More, if something failed in one distro, in other distro same thing may be working. Who told Linux is perfect because his name? VM is good, but if you have enough disk space then is better to have real installation.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:13 pm

coder123 wrote: I assumed dual-booting windows. Dual-booting between two Linux distros is something I never considered. To those of you who dual-boot (or triple boot ect) between Linux distros can you please explain why you don't just use one? Are you doing it to test out other distros? If so, why not just use a virtual machine for the dstro you're testing?
Well, in that case... :)
In three words: Flexibility and Fun
1. Lappy: I use LMDE Betsy for normal work and Kali Linux for pen testing. Kali is nice because it takes a lot of ethical hacking tools and combines them into one place. I don't have to download them myself. Of course, Betsy is my favourite distro, and I use her every day.
2. Main desktop: I use Arch and Debian Sid because it's fun to have rolling releases. Arch is nice because I configure everything by hand, so there's no bloat on my machine to make it run slower (1 GB ram, so I have to be careful). Debian Sid runs nicely too. I'm really an apt guy, so I don't see myself moving over to Arch on this machine. Besides, even with the AUR, there's still more software for Debian.
(I do plan on trying Devuan on this machine in a bit.)

Besides, I like running multiple distros just to see what they're like. I've learned a lot by not being "glued" to one particular distro. Arch and Debian in particular have been good teachers (although Betsy made me learn a lot at one time, too. :) )

As to the VBox vs bare metal question: I do use VBox a good bit. It's a nice tool to try distros on, especially harder ones like Arch, without breaking anything. However, I've only got 3 GB of RAM on my nicer machine (1 GB on the other) so I'm limited in what I can run on it.
In addition, every OS seems to prefer bare metal to virtualisation. Running a "real" install is a nicer experience. VBox also limits you in a few things.

Finally, I run multiple Linuxes for fun! After all, why not? They're free!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:13 pm

@Fred

wow I would assume that if you do all that messing around with distros you'd use your desktop and give it enough memory and HDD space to run VMs but that's just me I guess because I'm nervous about messing with grub that much.
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Yeah, I would, but it's old (2005 era) and upgrading it isn't really worth the money. Besides, it was a compact desktop machine so a lot of the parts are integrated into the circuitry or not available. :(

I do keep my VMs on a removable 1 TB hard drive, so space isn't an issue.
- Albert Einstein

Jwithquestions
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jwithquestions » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:10 pm

1. I have an ancient version of a cad software package I run infrequently.

2. I have an ancient version of Topo software I use to make trails and property boundaries for hiking and hunting.

3. I run a Palm III Xe and the desktop runs in windows.

I have not figured out how to make any of this stuff run in wine. Dual boot is easier for me.

Return to “Open chat”