This time I *really* can't believe the Windows fanboys!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Fragezeichen

Re: This time I *really* can't believe the Windows fanboys!

Post by Fragezeichen »

richmorehave wrote: It's the privacy concern that brought me to Linux, I used to Love Windows, but the way MS is treating us, by violating our privacy has OFFENDED me deeply, and guys still using windows 10 just don't want to research this subject. The reason it's not in Mainstream media is because the government and MS don't want this info to be PUT OUT. Why? Because if terrorist, and stupid criminals, and everybody TRUSTS MS, they can arrest those people since it's in the privacy policy that they will save everything they do on their PC and it can be used against them.
Well, I don't know where you live, but at least here in Germany the topic about Windows 10 spying on its users has been covered pretty extensively in the media. Actually, a lot of consumer protection departements are advising against it.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Interesting article about the privacy issue here:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 5308.shtml

If that is the case, then i am glad they do monitor the system...Windows 10 is working great and anything that helps improve it would be a good not bad thing...
They have taken many steps to improve the quality control (such as the system now used for the updates to improve their reliability). This is especially important now that windows is a rolling model and there will be no more new versions, just a continuously updating system...
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

craig10x wrote:Interesting article about the privacy issue here:

If that is the case, then i am glad they do monitor the system...Windows 10 is working great and anything that helps improve it would be a good not bad thing...
They have taken many steps to improve the quality control (such as the system now used for the updates to improve their reliability). This is especially important now that windows is a rolling model and there will be no more new versions, just a continuously updating system...

I remember the electronic 'user activity monitoring' that took place under Windows XP where data was captured for years in order to 'improve the user experience.'

The result was Vista.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Agree, but things have changed a lot since vista...windows, for one thing, wasn't a rolling system then as it is now...also, they didn't have the kind of quality control for the updating like they do now...the way that works is: 1) Microsoft testing 2) Insiders Fast Ring 3) Insiders Slow ring 4) Mainstream user....so by the time the general user gets them they are very reliable...So, if they need to know what programs or parts of the system crash, for example, to make corrections and improvements, well, that's not such a bad thing...

Also, don't forget that windows 7 is considered to be excellent (unlike vista) and i have used 7 in the past and think 10 is a vast improvement even on that...
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

craig10x wrote:Interesting article about the privacy issue here:

How does accessing personal files and emails of the user help improve the reliability of their system? The only thing it really improves is their profits because they can show you more personalized ads or sell your data.
If they only gathered information like system specifications, error logs, most used programs, time needed to execute a certain task, etc. maybe I would believe them that they use this data to make Windows more reliable or smoother...
However, I don't see any reason to let them scan my emails or personal files...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

"If they only gathered information like system specifications, error logs, most used programs, time needed to execute a certain task, etc. maybe I would believe them that they use this data to make Windows more reliable or smoother"...

That's exactly what they are doing (what you said at the end) they aren't interesting in looking at photos of your daughter at disneyland or an e-mail to your cousin bill...That is the point the spokesman was making in the article...
Last edited by craig10x on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

craig10x wrote:I think you don't get it...they are checking to see how programs, apps, various parts of the system's logs for crashing and the like...things that hamper system performance not to look at you e-mail to your Uncle Joe or a photo of your daughter at disneyland...
In their license agreement and privacy policy it says they have the right to scan all your files on your computer.. go read it yourself if you don't believe me.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yes, but they are looking for system problems related to those things, not to look at (to them) boring photos on your photo app or e-mails to your girlfriend...lol
It's an automated data compiling system...you think they are sitting there, pulling up your e-mails and reading them? If you do, you have quite an imagination...
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Just because they don't now*...doesn't mean they won't in the future. :)

*subject to debate.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

Yeah for a normal user this might not be that severe if they scan your files and can do whatever they want with the gathered information..

But imagine a business running Windows 10 and Microsoft having access to all the confidential data while being allowed to share it with their "partners".. I personally wouldn't want that to happen to my business.

It's an automated data compiling system...you think they are sitting there, pulling up your e-mails and reading them? If you do, you have quite an imagination...
Yes, indeed it is an automated system analysing all your private content in order to create a profile for you so they can show you personalized ads or sell that profile. Thus, you are becoming Microsoft's product... If that's okay for you, then that's your decision and I respect it. But I personally don't want it.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Not sure if you were aware of it, but the ad related stuff can be turned off easily in system setttings..takes about 5 minutes...the spokesman is referring to the stuff that can't be turned off...that is what i am talking about...that stuff is NEEDED to keep the system running up to snuff...

It reminds me of the people who were fighting the idea of 10 auto updating....they do that because not updating (or selectively updating) is a good way to mess up the OS and that is what they are trying to avoid...

By the way, in terms of selling your profile...that happens to you all the time as you surf the web...which i assume you do...or use an android or iphone...
As i said, that can be turned off...but there are too many purists that don't even want them to collect data to improve the system which i think is a rather dumb attitude...Those are the same people that would complain if the Os was unreliable...they would say....Oh, look another Vista...
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

craig10x wrote:Not sure if you were aware of it, but the ad related stuff can be turned off easily in system setttings..takes about 5 minutes...the spokesman is referring to the stuff that can't be turned off...that is what i am talking about...that stuff is NEEDED to keep the system running up to snuff...

It reminds me of the people who were fighting the idea of 10 auto updating....they do that because not updating (or selectively updating) is a good way to mess up the OS and that is what they are trying to avoid...
Windows 10 is still sending information to the Microsoft servers even with everything turned off. And I don't talk about ads in WIndows 10 itself. They are using your profile to show you personalized ads in the internet on their sites or sell it to other advertising agencies. And maybe even to something like insurance companies or your future employer. I imagine they are keen to know as much as possible about your lifestyle, habits, etc...
Last edited by Fragezeichen on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

craig10x wrote:
By the way, in terms of selling your profile...that happens to you all the time as you surf the web...which i assume you do...or use an android or iphone...
As i said, that can be turned off...but there are too many purists that don't even want them to collect data to improve the system which i think is a rather dumb attitude...Those are the same people that would complain if the Os was unreliable...they would say....Oh, look another Vista...
Of course everyone is trying to gather as much information as possible about you. That can't be avoided. All you can do is try to reveal as little as possible. Not using Windows 10 helps a lot in this regard.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Fragezeichen wrote: Not using the internet helps a lot in this regard.
Edited for accuracy :wink:
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

z31fanatic wrote:
Fragezeichen wrote: Not using the internet helps a lot in this regard.
Edited for accuracy :wink:
Always depends on HOW you use the internet.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

craig10x wrote:Yes, but they are looking for system problems related to those things, not to look at (to them) boring photos on your photo app or e-mails to your girlfriend...lol
Why do you think they made that image recognition software.

http://wtvr.com/2015/05/01/how-old-or-y ... rom-photo/

They are scanning your photos, they just aren't bothering to look at every photo themselves.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
richmorehave

Post by richmorehave »

craig10x wrote:Yes, but they are looking for system problems related to those things, not to look at (to them) boring photos on your photo app or e-mails to your girlfriend...lol
In privacy statement, MS states very clearly, that if you have ANY illegally obtained software or movies, mp3's , you are breaking the law and you will be turned in. I don't know how to make that any clearer. They do have bots that can easily scan the file names of your programs, and have triggers on names of stuff tied to illegal sites.
Last edited by richmorehave on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

richmorehave wrote:In privacy statement, MS states very clearly, that if you have ANY illegally obtained software or movies, mp3's
No Microsoft able to decide dictantly legaly or illegally obtained. So, those privacy statement is pointless.
They do have bots that can easily scan the file names of your programs, and have triggers on names of stuff tied to illegal sites
Every antivirus do it for at least decade.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

BigEasy wrote:
richmorehave wrote:In privacy statement, MS states very clearly, that if you have ANY illegally obtained software or movies, mp3's
No Microsoft able to decide dictantly legaly or illegally obtained. So, those privacy statement is pointless.
Actually, they can. They can scan file names and file hashes and compare them to known pirated files. If there is a match then they can just turn that information over to copyright trolls or the police. Or they can just remotely delete the files.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Neophyte wrote:
BigEasy wrote:
richmorehave wrote:Actually, they can. They can scan file names and file hashes and compare them to known pirated files.
Comparing files hashes to it's database it's great. All pirates will applaud.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Open Chat”