I need a vpn any sugestions

Chat about just about anything else
jbander
Level 3
Level 3

I need a vpn any sugestions

Post by jbander »

I want to have a VPM to protect my internet use. I'm on a budget so I'm looking for a good price also. Any suggestions or Ideas.

txba516
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I need a vpn any sugestions

Post by txba516 »

Hi JBander,

Without more information I believe you may be misguided about what a VPN is and does. Take a look at this thread to see if it clears up some details. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=186285

If you still believe you need a VPN, there are a lot of options available that we can discuss further.

Cheers!
LM17.2 x64 Cinnamon
Help the forums get answers faster! Mark your fixed problem thread as [SOLVED]

jbander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jbander »

Thanks for the response but what I want is a Good VPN and the budget point still stands.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Nordvpn strike the right balance between value for money and privacy IMO. There company is located in Panama, which as I understand has no data retention laws effecting vpn providers.

Have fun. 8)
Donate to your favourite distros!

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Also here is a open source bash script that can easily configure your firewall to "leak-proof" your vpn connection. (If you're worried about packets travelling outside your tunnel due to disconnects.)

https://github.com/adrelanos/VPN-Firewall

_lu_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _lu_ »

Air VPN is my go to. You can pay with bitcoin, or with coupons bought prior from seperate coupon sellers with credit card, or the usual credit card of course.
You can even connect via Tor if you want.
Their only request is that you don't use it for human rights abuse. They act immediately on any possible security vulnerablilities. And they respond quickly to client queries via the ticket system and the forum - they're definately worth checking out.
Oh and you can use Air on your mobile phone.
No, even though I sound like it I'm not a sales person - just a happy user :D
Don't be put off by the stupid video that is now on the homepage (if it is still there)

EDIT not sure how they stand regarding your budget

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

AirVPN is a really good company, the client software is astounding, they literally have custom software that can leakproof your iptables firewall on like every version of linux. I have never seen a vpn provider with better software.

That being said the company is located in italy, so it is subject to EU data retention. The company is still good for some P2P if you are not allowed to do that in your country, they will stop the DCMA complaints for you and not ask questions. But your IP stamps are logged, so you cannot use airvpn to do anything too illegal, they will report you for trying to hack people through their network or if they believe you have involvement in other serious crime.

It's important to remember that even shadier vpn providers in more "far-out" locations have the ability to report/log you if they feel like it! You're never alone when you're online. :wink:

DTimes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DTimes »

Mullvad is my goto VPN. They have a native Linux client and *leak* protection by simply clicking a control on tab 2 of the settings screen. Great tech support people.

AirVPN seems ok but their leak protection is a bit cumbersome. I would periodically get disconnects on their system. Great tech support people.

Please note that a VPN will not provide any protection if you are a noisy activist. The (seriously) bad guys in government can open up Linux or Windows box like a can opener if they wish it.

Return to “Open chat”