Driver upgrade attempt ends in failure...

Chat about just about anything else
JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Driver upgrade attempt ends in failure...

Post by JohnBobSmith » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:59 am

Hello everyone,

Three days ago I wanted to upgrade my GPU drivers, in hopes of gaining WINE performance. So I install AMD's proprietary driver from the official site, where I had no problems before. I reboot and black screen, no MDM, no nothing. So I ctrl + alt + f2 and start hacking away. Eventually I got a spinning cursor. Installing LightDM let me login, then it would stall. Long story short I decided to re-install XFCE and, whoops. Synaptic took half the system with it. I was warned it was removing an essential package. Why I didnt stop right then, I don't know. This was no fault of Mint, Synaptic, etc. in any way. The tools obeyed me and what I had told them to do.

So having a now completely trashed system, I decided to wipe the drive in favor of Arch linux. Why Arch? Well, it is known for being bleeding edge, which (hopefully) includes better drivers and kernels that I can use for my games. Second, the very minimalistic approach lets me build my own desktop. I get my xfce panel, feh for the wallpaper, i3 for the window manager, and a chance to try out a web browser I had never heard of, midori. Finally, I have a media server setup running arch as a base. So it was a natural choice for me.

That said, I have been actively using a desktop with LMDE 2 on it that is going well. I'm planning on squeezing performance out of it, it's a bit sluggish currently. I will still be around, helping others when I can. Linux Mint is my /home, and it has a special place in my heart. :)
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Driver upgrade attempt ends in failure...

Post by Booman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:16 am

Dang, that really sucks.
I've been down that path before. Specially with AMD drivers.
Luckily I have a GeForce 550 Ti and the "stable" drivers provided by Mint work perfectly for me and my games.
I'm still shocked how many times I've read about this problem with AMD drivers.
Its sad because I know AMD has GREAT drivers in Windows, but it is a serious deterrent for gamers checking out Linux.

Enjoy Arch!
I've read alot about Arch as well and I don't have the patience to maintain my system like that. I'm more concerned about gaming and testing games, but I've heard you really get to "know" Linux and behind-the-scenes stuff like desktop environments, windows managers, audio/video configurations, etc...
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:35 pm

The weird thing is I never had any problems using the proprietary driver from the website before. My CS:GO performance went from 15 to around 50FPS with that change and misc. other tweaks. So I figured it couldnt hurt to try it again in Mint 17.2. Guess I got slapped pretty hard, considering I don't keep a lot of backups, if any. I did get my SSH keys back and some WINE steam games, but thats all.

Arch is really nice. You are given a base system with essential CLI tools, and no Xorg. You can mold it into whatever you want. A server, or a desktop. I have one of each, :). As for "under the hood" stuff, that is absolutely present. Arch teaches you where configuration files are, how to repair, install, and modify packages to your tastes, what /etc/fstab is and why its needed, etc. That way you know where to look if you need to change a setting for your window manager, what to do when installing or uninstalling packages, and what happened to your USB flash drive that didn't mount automatically. Arch is user centric and not user friendly. See their wiki entry on the subject. What this does is avoid help vampires, and encourage learning. It's really amazing stuff!
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about Arch
I even considered Manjaro, but I test a lot of games in Linux and want to replicate the typical gamer experience.
So I've decided on Mint even though Ubuntu gets more attention.
I mostly test Windows games in Mint with PlayOnLinux because Mint Cinnamon is more like Windows than any other Distro.
I really try to keep it as vanilla as possible
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List

Return to “Open chat”