Will Firefox Become Chrome 2.0?

Chat about just about anything else
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Will Firefox Become Chrome 2.0?

Post by RacerBG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm using Firefox since version 2.x (I remember the huge announcement for the "groundbreaking" version 3.0) good times... :roll: Like others I tried almost every available browser, I even liked and used Opera (just after the transition to FF 4.0) for a few months but then returned to FF again. What can I say for me it doesn't really matter what decision (right or wrong) Mozilla will make - I will use FF just because I can customize it a lot. That's the main thing which keeps me using it. This decisions about addons or UI are really not very important because I use only Adblock Plus and the Simple White theme. So as long as Firefox is called Firefox I will use it. :wink:
Proud of Linux Mint!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:04 pm

RacerBG wrote:So as long as Firefox is called Firefox I will use it. :wink:
Or Iceweasel? :wink:

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:39 pm

xenopeek wrote:
RacerBG wrote:So as long as Firefox is called Firefox I will use it. :wink:
Or Iceweasel? :wink:
Yes, but for me Iceweasel = White Frozenfox on Blue planet :D Good catch.
Proud of Linux Mint!

mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:40 pm

I think the impending death of Firefox is a bit exaggerated. Chrome didn't really have much of a presence until 2010, but then it gobbled up gigantic portions of the market. You can't have a new browser come out of nowhere and take 40% of the market share and not have some other browsers lose market share. Internet Explorer got absolutely pummeled, taken from 70% to 7 - 13% in a few years. Firefox really didn't suffer that much.

Also, just because something has more users, does not mean it's better. If that were true, we might as well all pack up and leave this "Linux" thing behind. :lol: Google has ample resources to push its products and its brands, whereas Mozilla just doesn't have that kind of money.

Every release of Firefox just keeps getting better and better, so I will continue to use it. :D

mrdachshund86

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:07 am

Debaters have not decided yet what Mozilla wants:
1. Did they want to improve Firefox "market share"?
2. Did they want to improve Firefox security?

I have no idea too. I still do not understand what kind of great ideas lied behind their rejection of the status bar sime times ago (nice to see the menu bar still possible to turn on). Hope their ideas always really great.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Open chat”