Cinnamon to rule the world - with style changer

Chat about just about anything else

Do you think that the suggested style changer would make sense?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:13 am

Yes
46%
No, not needed
38%
No, bad idea
15%

Total votes: 13

somux
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon to rule the world - with style changer

Post by somux » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:13 am

I have been playing around with Linux DEs, such as Unity, Gnome3, MATE, Plasma5, XFCE and Cinnamon for a while. I have issues with each. But now as Windows let quite many users down over and over again, and there are privacy concerns as well, it may be time to find a Linux DE that rocks. I think that Cinnamon is the best candidate.

But users migrating from other systems may want to have something they feel familiar. And here I see a nice opportunity of improvement for Cinnamon. Besides being able to switch themes, I think a new setting is needed to switch desktop style. I mean that the default Cinnamon style is similar to Win98-Vista, i.e. Menu - Launchers - Window list - trey icons. But people may want to switch to Win7 like setting, i.e. Menu - "Windows list with app grouping" - trey icons, and panel being larger in size.

That means 2 things to improve actually, even though related from users' perspective:
1. Have a style changer. Probably automatically launched on first start.
2. Standardize how to store favorite apps. There is a list in Menu, at Panel Launchers and pinned apps of "Windows list with app grouping". If they were consistent, then switching would be fun instead of a pain.

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon to rule the world - with style changer

Post by RacerBG » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Try Zorin OS. :wink:
Proud of Linux Mint!

somux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by somux » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:56 pm

RacerBG wrote:Try Zorin OS. :wink:
Good point. My idea is similar, having a "Look Changer". And more. It would be nice if KDE, Gnome's Dash, Docky, XFCE plugins etc. would use the same app list.

Yeah, that's it! A new Freedesktop.org specification is needed, similarly to Menu.

Starting a new distro for such a relatively small thing, such as Look Changer, sounds strange. Well, they may make money this way. Still, even though Zorin OS has a nice place on DistroWatch popularity index, I would use a distro being more community oriented. Like Mint.

Well, Mint sticking to Ubuntu LTS is an issue for me actually. Too old LibreOffice, too old docker-io, too old Eclipse. Just to name 3 packages annoying me at my daily work. Even the latest stable Ubuntu (15.04) has very outdated Eclipse. Naturally, I can obtain newer ones. But making the update on each of my colleagues box is not a fun. Maybe I should push all our software to a local docker-io repo. If only docker-io would not be that outdated on Mint...
Last edited by somux on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:16 pm

I am a big fan of Cinnamon, and I kind of like it the way it is. Not over powering, but fast and functional. IMO, it was, and is better looking, and easier using, than XP or Win 7 ever was. I don't think your idea is bad, just not needed.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:22 pm

somux wrote: Well, Mint sticking to Ubuntu LTS is an issue for me actually.
Well... If you want to change the interface and the base, then maybe you should look for another disto. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

somux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by somux » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:10 am

killer de bug wrote:Well... If you want to change the interface and the base, then maybe you should look for another disto. :wink:
Of course, that is an option. Lets see... Ubuntu does not have official Cinnamon packages, there is a personal PPA only. Arch is not easy for ex-Windows guys, Manjaro is easier, but Cinnamon is "unofficial" there and actually I do not like the chaos of AURs, at all. Fedora and RHEL/CentOS with EPEL are fine. Sad, as I'd prefer a reliable rolling distro.

Actually that is what MS tries with Win10, being a single edition always up-to-date, i.e. rolling. If Win changes its kernel to Linux for proper Docker support and have Unix-like file/dir symlinks (as opposed to what mklink can do), then I might choose that. Till then I need to find a Linux distro that pleases me.

Return to “Open chat”