Best SSD brand for Linux Mint / Ubuntu [SOLVED]

Chat about just about anything else
Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Best SSD brand for Linux Mint / Ubuntu [SOLVED]

Post by Drygar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:20 am

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying SSD in order to speed up my computer.
I would appreciate your advice.

1. What is the best brand (SSD vendor) in your option ?
2. Are there any brands that are known to have issues with Linux Mint/Ubuntu-based OS ? I read about some "faulty" Samsung SSDs that had issues with Linux kernel but fix was proposed by Samsung ? Is this true ? Is it fixed already ?

3. I see that cron jobs for auto-TRIM works by default only on Intel and Samsung but here it is written that it also works for OCZ, Patriot and Sandisk http://askubuntu.com/questions/18903/ho ... 9480#19480

4. What do you think of Toshiba Q300 SSD ? http://www.toshiba.eu/hard-drives/solid ... s712ezsta/

5. What is your opinion about Samsung SSD 650 Basic
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consum ... Rev1.0.pdf
and Samsung SSD 850 Evo http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... tions.html
are they Linux compatibility ? What do you think re. writing/reading speed ?

6. My computer is Toshiba. Do you think that if I use Toshiba SSD, it will be more compatible with the device. My current HDD is Toshiba.
Last edited by Drygar on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Best SSD brand for Linux Mint / Ubuntu

Post by xenopeek » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:06 am

There are two bugs. The first is that if you used RAID0 or RAID10 together with TRIM it could corrupt data. People had been blaming Samsung for this but Samsung engineers found it is actually a Linux kernel bug that applies to all SSDs and they fixed it (Samsung actively contributes to Linux kernel development). The second is that Samsung firmware for some devices advertises they supports NCQ TRIM while they don't. This could also corrupt data. As a workaround NCQ TRIM is blacklisted for these devices by the Linux kernel and non-NCQ TRIM is used instead.

Samsung 850 EVO is a very good option. Comparing it to the pricier 850 PRO it has a lower write speed but as on a desktop system you read much more than you write that is less significant (http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_ss ... ssd_review). It also has an excellent warranty, half that of the 850 PRO (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... ranty.html). The 850 PRO is for servers and other high write load systems. The 850 EVO is a very good option for desktops.

(Also note when looking at SSD benchmarks that they usually give you figures up to a "queue depth" of 64. On a desktop system you don't usually get higher than a queue depth of 1 so all those top speeds possible at high queue depth aren't relevant.)

I have a couple of years old Intel and OCZ SSD in my system. All the computers I've built for relatives in the past years have used Samsung SSDs instead and I would go for Samsung on a new system. That you have a Toshiba computer doesn't give you any benefits using a Toshiba SSD.

(That's assuming 2.5" form-factor. If you are considering M.2 form-factor I'd do some good research as there are issues with throttling on those devices to comply with the temperature constraints set for M.2 devices. As they heat up under load they start to cut back on performance so as to not get hotter.)

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 am

@ xenopeek

Thanks a lot for the great explanation !

I think I'll choose Samsung EVO 850
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

JayKay3OOO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayKay3OOO » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm

850 evo really good drives.

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:45 am

I've got Kingston. Don't remember type number but it's the one that is energy efficient. It makes my computer run fast and battery lats longer. No issues at all.

Odoslané z G7-L01 pomocou Tapatalku
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:46 am

It's called Kingston Now

Odoslané z G7-L01 pomocou Tapatalku
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BlackVeils » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:05 am

i have SanDisk Ultra Plus, 128gb, no problems.

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:44 pm

i have a samsung 850 pro 1TB 2.5" sata3 on a laptop and a sandisk ultra II 120GB 2.5" sata3 on a custom desktop, no problems so far. the 850 pro is faster than the ultra II. i got the 850 for endurance and warranty reasons, i dont care about the ultra II since i use a HDD for data. the ultra is cheap $50 for 120GB.

capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Still don't have SSD in any of my systems. Conflicting reports from my friends regarding reliability and the high price for an SSD with a reasonable capacity hold me back - for now.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi all,

Let me share my SSD experience so far.
I reinstalled LM from scrath (17.2 XFCE) on the Samsung 850 Evo SSD.

Boot time is 13 seconds (from PC vendor logo) to password prompt. It used to be 40 seconds on HDD :)
8-10 more seconds after password is entered so that it is fully operational. All programs load faster and are snappier.
No more HDD sound :) File transfer speed improved 2-2.5 x times
I am really happy - money well spent. My next purchase will be second donation to LM - excellent OS
Thanks a lot @ xenopeek and everyone ! This is much appreciated

Re. SSD optimization tips and tricks:
I have some SSD questions, hope you can answer them:
# Does adding noatime really improves SSD liftime on modern SSD, is it really recommended nowadays ?
# Does putting the laptop in Sleep (Suspend) mode affect the SSD in bad way ?
# Does hibernation affect the SSD in some bad way ?
# Do you think that if I choose for Firefox not to keep temporary files will improve SSD lifetime for modern SSDs ?
# Since it is Samsung SSD, cronjob should do weekly trim automatically. When does this happen (which day of the week, at what time? How do I know it has passed successfully - is there any note or log somewhere for this cronjob ?
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

flipflop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flipflop » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:32 pm

BlackVeils wrote:i have SanDisk Ultra Plus, 128gb, no problems.

I have been using a SanDisk Ultra 120gb without problems too. Could not believe how much faster my system was compared to the old type HD.

marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marlenejo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Being using SSD for 2 years now (Ocz - Samsung) on Linux and Windows. There is still a lot of concerns and rumours about the life span of an SSD because of the cell's wear due to constant writes cycles. If you do your own research for 2015, a consensus appear that it's not a problem for a "consumer" usage. So all the write constraint optimization, while beneficial, are not necessary. Beside you want to get the full potential of your SSD any way. Let the manufacturers worry about that. Backup are ALWAYS advisable no matter the support media. In 5 years where will be the technology ? SSD or something else will be so good that your current SSD will probably be obsolete.

So is an SDD worth it ? Absolutely YES. There is no question that are way better at anything a mechanical drive can do. You have to experiment it to appreciate it. They finally solve the weakest link of modern computer.
Linux Mint Cinnamon, AMD FX-6300 (6 x 4Ghz), Nvidia GTX-650 TI, 8 Gig DDR3 1600, SSD Seagate + Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 1GB 7200rpm, Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A.

Omega1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omega1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm got a samsung 850 evo 1 terabyte SSD and I've put it through a lot of abuse an still runs great, just my two cents

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:28 pm

Drygar wrote:# Does putting the laptop in Sleep (Suspend) mode affect the SSD in bad way ?
No, sleep keeps the system at very low power but with enough power to keep the memory (RAM) active. Sleep is suspend to RAM. It doesn't cause extra writes.
Drygar wrote:# Does hibernation affect the SSD in some bad way ?
It could, depends on how often you do it. Hibernation is suspend to disk. It writes the entire contents of your RAM to disk before the computer is effectively powered off. Normally the contents of RAM is compressed before being written to disk so unused memory doesn't take up much disk space. Still, if you have say 16 GB of RAM like I do and you have a lot of programs open you might not want to use hibernation every day. It consumes less power than sleep, but it does cause a lot more writes to disk.
Drygar wrote:# Do you think that if I choose for Firefox not to keep temporary files will improve SSD lifetime for modern SSDs ?
If you have a fast Internet connection you could disable it without it affecting your performance too much. I do. I let it keep temporary files, but only in memory. In about:config you can set browser.cache.disk.enable to false to disable Firefox using disk cache.

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks, xenopeek ! :)
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

Return to “Open chat”