Firefox!

Chat about just about anything else
leadwtZ
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox!

Post by leadwtZ »

Hi,

Is it me or is Firefox getting 'clunky'?

I do not have many 'add-ons' but the start page loads in chunks nothing else does this.

I have tried Opera and some rather obscure web-browsers and reckon they should stay that way. (No disrespect to the programmers.)

Currently trying out the fork of Firefox called Pale Moon and using Yahoo search engine. Much quicker.

And . . trying out the 'Start Page' search engine on Firefox which seems quite good. Did try Duck Duck Go but the results from a search are a bit weird to be honest.

There you go - I must be bored (or boring!!). :roll:
Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
Linux MInt 19.3 - Mate 1.22.2
Reg. Linux user: 467766 Claws-Mail & Pale Moon user.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Firefox!

Post by Habitual »

leadwtZ wrote:Hi,

Is it me or is Firefox getting 'clunky'?
Getting?
Still at 27.x.x here as I hate the feature of compressed layouts.

You may be bored.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Personally I've been using SeaMonkey as my primary browser for years. Secondary has always been FF but I recently replaced it by Pale Moon. Pale Moon is really nice! StartPage has been my search engine of choice for a long long time, because of privacy issues; I have nothing to hide, but nobody needs to know that. :wink:
I do agree: Firefox isn't as fast and agile as it used to be and the recent interface needs a lot of tweaking before it's usable. Time to hit the road, foxy friend!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello leadwtz - I had a lot of problems with Firefox 40 and 41. Both versions had problems with random crashes, particularly when playing streaming video such as Youtube. Things greatly improved with Firefox 42, the crashes seem to have been eliminated. And as of today, Mozilla has just released Firefox 43, at least for Windows. I've yet to check and see if it's available from the Linux Mint repositories.
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Such problems are mostly caused by a defective FF-profile. To find this out do the following:
Close FF.
Open your file-manager and make hidden files visible.
Rename the folder .mozilla to .mozilla.bck
Start FF, this will create automatically a new FF-profile.
Check.

To get back to your old profile:
Close FF.
Delete the new folder .mozilla
Rename the folder .mozila.bck back to .mozilla
Start FF. Done.
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tolkien »

Sorry, but Firefox is perfect as always. So it may be a problem with your system or it is really you : )
Habitual, what do you mean by "compressed layouts"? If you mean the look and feel, you can install Classic Theme Restorer.
leadwtZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by leadwtZ »

tolkien wrote:Sorry, but Firefox is perfect as always. So it may be a problem with your system or it is really you : )
Habitual, what do you mean by "compressed layouts"? If you mean the look and feel, you can install Classic Theme Restorer.
Hah - nothing is perfect - although 'Lord of the Rings' gets close. Anyway I think you are lost in Mordor. :P

Anyway I tried the comparison profile idea from Cosmo and found some odd things in there. So I wiped out a few items and reverted. It did help but I still get the page loading in chunks and as I said before no other application does this.

MOem mentioned Sea Monkey - not tried that yet - but finding Pale Moon with 'Start Page' the best so far.

Either way worth trying other browsers and engines but it is amazing how different the 'results' between the ' engines can be and trying to get UK only ca be frustrating!

Happy Xmas - :D
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Derek_S wrote:And as of today, Mozilla has just released Firefox 43, at least for Windows. I've yet to check and see if it's available from the Linux Mint repositories.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Sx; dpkg --list firefox
System:    Host: computer Kernel: 3.13.0-71-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.6.3)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.0.14 (Gtk 3.4.2-0ubuntu0.8) Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
[...]
||  Name                        Version                     Beschreibung
+++-===========================-===========================-======================================================================
ii  firefox                     43.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04. Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
so, it is available from the Ubuntu repositories. Has been since late last night (CET).
packages.linuxmint.com still lists Firefox 42.0 for all mint 17.x editions.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

leadwtZ wrote:I do not have many 'add-ons' but the start page loads in chunks nothing else does this.
Unless it is an intermittent problem and caused by the Mint website being slow at times, you may try this setting under about:config

Code: Select all

layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled=false
This setting prevents a lot of webpages from loading slowly and in chunks on my weak machines that come with Atom CPUs and internal graphics chips only.
(The setting layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled, default true, has been introduced by Firefox 33 and has been known not to bring joy everywhere.)
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
leadwtZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by leadwtZ »

karlchen wrote: Unless it is an intermittent problem and caused by the Mint website being slow at times, you may try this setting under about:config

(The setting layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled, default true, has been introduced by Firefox 33 and has been known not to bring joy everywhere.)
Thanks karichen I have 'false'd it and the page loads quicker and in one chunk! :lol:

I note that Pale Moon has this 'false' by default.
helloimustbegoing

Post by helloimustbegoing »

leadwtZ wrote:
Currently trying out the fork of Firefox called Pale Moon and using Yahoo search engine. Much quicker.
There isn't a browser better than Pale Moon, in my opinion. Been using it for about four years now.

Return to “Open chat”