why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Chat about just about anything else
User avatar
Drygar
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:52 pm

why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Drygar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:19 pm

I have been running Linux (mostly Mint) since the autumn of 2014 - on my home computer.
At work I am forced to run Windows. My sister runs Windows 8.1 because she plays lots of games from the Win Store.

Anyway, 2016 started for with 2 very big re-freshes why I completely ditched Windows.
My work computer that used to run Win 8.1 is set to auto deploy Windows updates as per company policy, some days ago it deployed them, asked me to restart it and voilla - it never again started. Me and the IT guys tried so many things to be able to bring it back to life but nothing helped (System Restore, Refresh, Safe Mode, etc...) and we ended with reimage and this time I asked for them to install Win 7 for my work computer (not that it is way too better).

Some hours ago, my sister's computer has a serious issue after updating. I opened it and noticed that the Win 8.1 built-in Flash was version 16 and decided to update it.
Her system was not updated for quite some time and I decided to take the risk to update it - ran this freaking tool Windows Update (=Windows killer) and it presented with more than 120 updates. Of course, I decided to install only :
- the Flash Player update
- two IE updates
- all security updates
- I decided NOT to install any other updates.

System installed them (successfully), restarted and then IE could not start. This f*c*ing peace of software starts, immediately hungs, sits hung for a minutes and auto-closes itself. Have tried so many things to fix it (including System Restore prior to the Windows updates, IE reset, disabling add-ons (this PC only had Flash player - nothing else), re-registering all IE dlls, different manual and auto-fixing articles, nothing worked...) I felt guilty because I was like I broke my sister's computer.
I even tried to uninstall the Flash Player update and the IE updates. This didn't help.
I ended up manually uninstall all updates for this Windows that I selected to install today and revert to updates installed several months ago.
For some strange reason and with the God's bless, this fixed the problem. My sister runs mostly Firefox but IE is used mostly on a single site she uses with her school.

Well, all fixed now but today I lost 2 hours of my life fixing Microsoft generated issue. I spent so many hours earlier this week fixing my work PC again due to Microsoft !
I HATE Microsoft !!! Never before could I imagine that a company that big and that rich like theirs could do such terrible things to their paid customers. Well, I believe it now because I have seen it on my own.

Sorry for the SPAM but I needed to write it.
Happily running Linux Mint 17 :D Not that I never said some small glitches till I learned it, but never such big problems :)
Thank you, Clem! Thank you, Debian team ! Thank you, LM team !!! Thank you Linus Torvalds ! Thank you everyone involved !
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

User avatar
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Leuven, Belgium

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by killer de bug » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:22 pm

Was this topic necessary? We both know how it will finish... :?
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

gunvolt
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by gunvolt » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:27 pm

I just hate monopolies like Microsoft and Google. Neither of them are really monopolies(Microsoft competes with Linux, BSD, and to an extent Mac, and Google competes with Bing, Yahoo, Startpage, and DuckDuckGo), but they have big enough marketshare that they can do whatever they want to effect the whole computing landscape; Microsoft can charge whatever amount of money people will not notice hiding in the cost of their computers, Google has control over much of the traffic of the Internet. Personally, for me, Windows has never broken from an update, but they have caused sharp slowdowns(along with third party software and viruses) that made me replace computers numerous times. I have also had two computers die of serious malware infections. I find it surprising that for so many years, Microsoft hasn't tightened the security net that lets idiots install viruses.
Some recent goings-on at Microsoft where corruption really shows: Nagging people to install Windows 10 just because it can grab more marketing data, planned obsolescence of Windows 7 and 8 on current-gen processors; suing legitimate businesses for overly vague patents; etc.
I'll leave you with a quote from Linus Torvalds:
"Really, I don't hate Microsoft, I just think they make really crappy operating systems."
"If you use Windows or a Mac, you probably haven't looked hard enough for a good Linux distro"
-Me, right now
I'm weird. Meet me at quitter.se/gunvolt. Linux Mint, Midori browser, GNUSocial(AKA quitter) social network.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: 0.0.0.0

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Habitual » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:01 pm

What's Windows?

gunvolt
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by gunvolt » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Habitual wrote:What's Windows?
a joke right?
it's the os you have to pay $100 for
"If you use Windows or a Mac, you probably haven't looked hard enough for a good Linux distro"
-Me, right now
I'm weird. Meet me at quitter.se/gunvolt. Linux Mint, Midori browser, GNUSocial(AKA quitter) social network.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: 0.0.0.0

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Habitual » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:10 pm

gunvolt wrote:
Habitual wrote:What's Windows?
a joke right?
it's the os you have to pay $100 for
Not everyone has used Windows.
killer de bug wrote:Was this topic necessary?

User avatar
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8941
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA USA

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by jimallyn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:46 am

Welcome to Linux and Open Source software, Drygar!
Image

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Chrząszczyżewoszyce, powiat Łękołody

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by BigEasy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:35 am

At least until first 2-hours fixing time he will not hates LM :mrgreen:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

User avatar
LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:09 am

gunvolt wrote:it's the os you have to pay $100 for
It'll cost you far more than that in the end!

I'm the computer-fix-it-guy for most of my friends and family. Every time I have to touch a Windows box, I feel like I need to take a shower afterward.

User avatar
SOCRATE_MMXII
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:57 am

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:15 am

I don't hate the Window, because lets the sun shine in the room. :lol:
LinuxJim wrote: I'm the computer-fix-it-guy for most of my friends and family. Every time I have to touch a Windows box, I feel like I need to take a shower afterward.
Where do your friends keep their boxes? In the manure?
Tell them that humans have developed a piece of furniture called "desk". They can put their box on the desk. This way, you don't have to shower every time. :lol:
I am the Light, the Way, the Life.

User avatar
Pierre
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8785
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Pierre » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:31 am

killer de bug wrote:Was this topic necessary? We both know how it will finish... :?
BAD always BAD
:o

gunvolt wrote:
Habitual wrote:What's Windows?
a joke right?
it's the os you have to pay $100 for
Only a Hundred :!: :shock: :!:
where's that :?:
- closer to Two Hundred in any Local IT Shop
:cry:
and they pay that much :?:
madness
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 am
Location: State: Constant Confusion, Country: D'oh

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by srq2625 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:41 am

I have, for reasons that aren't germain to the discussion here, a brand-new Windows 7 SP1 install. To play right, I attempted (yes, ATTEMPTED) to run the Windows Update. It sat there for more than an hour "Checking For Updates" before I finally terminated the process.

Research into the issue uncovered this page --> http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-upda ... dates.html

wherein there is a copy of an on-line chat session with MS support:
Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk! I'm Ann R.
1:50 pm
Ann R.
How may I help you?

1:51 pm
Me
Hi, This is regarding windows 7 updates. I am wanting to know firstly, why have you reduced the server priority for windows 7 users to update there systems?
1:51 pm
Me
because I don't like windows 10 so Im sticking with windows 7. But I have just had to reinstall windows from fresh, a SP1 edition & its been checking for updates for 24 hours now!
1:52 pm
Me
secondly.. do you have the ability to download all windows 7 updates so we dont need to run windows update which has become useless no thanks to microsoft!
1:52 pm
Me
as from what I know, you have a duty to either provide in bulk download windows 7 updates or give a decent service to obtain those updates from your servers!
1:53 pm
Me
something of which, you're not providing!
1:53 pm
Me
as I find requiring to leave any system on for more than 24 hours checking for updates is highly unacceptable!
1:55 pm
Ann R.
Sorry for this inconvenience. Let me try my best to help you. We are not reducing the server priority for windows 7 users to update their systems.

1:56 pm
Ann R.
There are some possible cause why sometimes it took a long time to check for updates.

1:57 pm
Me
well its all over the web on forums. Ever since windows 10 release, people who are sticking with windows 7 have found it extremely lengthy to check for updates!
1:57 pm
Me
Also, I am a hardware/software engineer by trade so I'm a highly skilled PC user so don't put it down to error's to system because they are none!
1:58 pm
Ann R.
That's not true because through windows updates you can get the free upgrade to windows 10. If I may ask, have you tried to do something about this lengthy of checking for updates?

2:02 pm
Me
Yes, I have explored every known option from resetting windows updates. Using your own windows update fixit tools & even as drastic as a fresh install of windows which I have done 3 times. Its a modern laptop with no problems what so ever. Reason for the re install fresh was upgrading the SSD from a 128GB to a 500GB!
2:04 pm
Me
you only need to google windows 7 update sticks on checking for updates & you will find hundreds & i'm sure there's more as not everyone posts online!
2:04 pm
Me
I manually downloaded a update I know it will need & it detects all installed updates fine! System is error free!
2:05 pm
Me
Even on my main desktop im speaking to you with is error free but 2 months ago I reinstalled windows & it took 37 hours for it to finally detect updates to download!
2:07 pm
Ann R.
I see, have you tried to manually reset windows updates or run a batch file for it.

2:09 pm
Me
yup multiple times. No error's found. No problems found & the tool which searches for updates after its checked for errors also fails to detect any as it sticks on search. All services are running & working as is!

After getting passed the 200+ updates it detects & you have downloaded & install them all works as should. Its just getting the system to detect those initial first bulk of updates!
2:11 pm
Ann R.
Okay. Have you tried to restart the background intelligence transfer service and check for the updates again?

2:12 pm
Me
up, as I said I have checked all services. I even stopped services, deleted contents from SoftwareDistribution & re started all services with no effect! Trust me, there's no error with my system that has never had this problem before because I have not had to do this since windows 10 came out! But its happening to a lot of people as we speak. Forums are full of people asking for help because they cant update windows 7 from new installs
2:15 pm
Ann R.
How about disabling your antivirus and firewall?

2:15 pm
Me
don't have any installed checking
2:17 pm
Ann R.
And also run a scan with Deployment Image Servicing and Management command?

2:18 pm
Me
first time I did, 2nd time I re installed I didnt & 3rd time same with differences
2:18 pm
Me
yes but I shouldnt need to do this on a modern system which has had windows installed 3 times!
2:19 pm
Me
also to a novice user, these would be like reading mandarin. Windows updates shouldn't take this long to detect updates!
2:21 pm
Me
they finally do in the end. Its the length of time it takes to do so thats the problem
2:21 pm
Me
if support is going away from Windows 7, It would be a good thing to provide a downloadable ISO that runs & installs all updates offline just as windows update would online. Would save people time & the need for a reliable internet connection!
2:22 pm
System
Chat has ended.
2:25 pm
In the event it's not clear....it's the MS tech who abruptly ended the chat session.

My point is that MS has decided to continue support Windows 7 with updates if you have the time and patience to wait for them to serve up the updates. Looking around the web, I've found that many are now recommending Windows users start the process at night and, maybe, they will be able to have it complete by the time they wake up the next morning. Just a little heavy handed...

User avatar
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Bolle1961 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:46 am

Download the updates with wsus offline
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

After installing / updating create an image so the next time you need a fresh install you can put the image back
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy
Image

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Chrząszczyżewoszyce, powiat Łękołody

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by BigEasy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:58 am

srq2625 wrote:It sat there for more than an hour "Checking For Updates" before I finally terminated the process.
Brand-new Windows 7 SP1 install requires about 6-8 hours to update. More than 1 hour for "Checking For Updates" is normal.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

User avatar
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Bolle1961 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:21 am

Before win10 arrived it never took that long for "Checking Updates"
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy
Image

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Chrząszczyżewoszyce, powiat Łękołody

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by BigEasy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:01 am

Last time I made full update of fresh installed W7 at the beginning of June. It takes the whole day.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

User avatar
Pierre
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8785
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Pierre » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am

BigEasy wrote:
srq2625 wrote:It sat there for more than an hour "Checking For Updates" before I finally terminated the process.
Brand-new Windows 7 SP1 install requires about 6-8 hours to update. More than 1 hour for "Checking For Updates" is normal.
just finished re-building a win-7 system for a client, and it was well over an hour & still "checking"

the alternative system - Mint 17x - checked & downloaded it's updates in One Hour Flat.
8)
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:57 am

LinuxJim wrote: I'm the computer-fix-it-guy for most of my friends and family. Every time I have to touch a Windows box, I feel like I need to take a shower afterward.
SOCRATE_MMXII wrote:Where do your friends keep their boxes? In the manure?

Burn! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am

BigEasy wrote: Brand-new Windows 7 SP1 install requires about 6-8 hours to update. More than 1 hour for "Checking For Updates" is normal.
It is true. The first time it checks for updates does take an hour or more. There is about 200 updates after a new install for W7. It's common knowledge but I guess we must fill the daily quota of Windows bashing. :wink:

User avatar
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:09 am

Drygar wrote:I have been running Linux (mostly Mint) since the autumn of 2014 - on my home computer.
At work I am forced to run Windows. My sister runs Windows 8.1 because she plays lots of games from the Win Store.

Anyway, 2016 started for with 2 very big re-freshes why I completely ditched Windows.
My work computer that used to run Win 8.1 is set to auto deploy Windows updates as per company policy, some days ago it deployed them, asked me to restart it and voilla - it never again started. Me and the IT guys tried so many things to be able to bring it back to life but nothing helped (System Restore, Refresh, Safe Mode, etc...) and we ended with reimage and this time I asked for them to install Win 7 for my work computer (not that it is way too better).

Some hours ago, my sister's computer has a serious issue after updating. I opened it and noticed that the Win 8.1 built-in Flash was version 16 and decided to update it.
Her system was not updated for quite some time and I decided to take the risk to update it - ran this freaking tool Windows Update (=Windows killer) and it presented with more than 120 updates. Of course, I decided to install only :
- the Flash Player update
- two IE updates
- all security updates
- I decided NOT to install any other updates.

System installed them (successfully), restarted and then IE could not start. This f*c*ing peace of software starts, immediately hungs, sits hung for a minutes and auto-closes itself. Have tried so many things to fix it (including System Restore prior to the Windows updates, IE reset, disabling add-ons (this PC only had Flash player - nothing else), re-registering all IE dlls, different manual and auto-fixing articles, nothing worked...) I felt guilty because I was like I broke my sister's computer.
I even tried to uninstall the Flash Player update and the IE updates. This didn't help.
I ended up manually uninstall all updates for this Windows that I selected to install today and revert to updates installed several months ago.
For some strange reason and with the God's bless, this fixed the problem. My sister runs mostly Firefox but IE is used mostly on a single site she uses with her school.

Well, all fixed now but today I lost 2 hours of my life fixing Microsoft generated issue. I spent so many hours earlier this week fixing my work PC again due to Microsoft !
I HATE Microsoft !!! Never before could I imagine that a company that big and that rich like theirs could do such terrible things to their paid customers. Well, I believe it now because I have seen it on my own.

Sorry for the SPAM but I needed to write it.
Happily running Linux Mint 17 :D Not that I never said some small glitches till I learned it, but never such big problems :)
Thank you, Clem! Thank you, Debian team ! Thank you, LM team !!! Thank you Linus Torvalds ! Thank you everyone involved !
I didn't have to look too hard to find people having problems with booting after updates
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=215689

Do you suggest I should start a thread with the title "why I hate Linux 2016 edition"? :wink:

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”