why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Chat about just about anything else
Jonnyboy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Jonnyboy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:11 am

Skaendo wrote:Yet another reason to hate Windows (10)......

http://betanews.com/2016/02/16/has-wind ... oft-stock/
Didn't read the post just the title. But I'm gonna say this is old news, I've been reading too many of these stories months ago. When 1511 was released people reported ALL of their setting had been switched off, and even regular cumulative updates breaking people's configuration and even removing apps. One update even broke Microsoft Office configurations, however that's the only time Microsoft has admitted "It was our fault, here's a workaround". But no other time. The frequency of these incidents does make you very suspicious..

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:22 am

Skaendo wrote:Yet another reason to hate Windows (10)......

http://betanews.com/2016/02/16/has-wind ... oft-stock/
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
good thing i made the switch back in 2010 to linux.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:10 am

I did several windows 10 installations now, and explored it to tweak/adjust the OS. I had to do it because in my family I'm the only "linux guy": they prefer windows. :roll:
Well, I have to say that it's not that bad:

1 - installation is linux-like. Windows automatically search for drivers and install them. Quick installation, relatively.
2 - the desktop is better than previous versions. The start menu can be tweaked to remove unwanted "apps".
3 - the OS is quite responsive and fast
4 - there is a lot of useful features to monitor/adjust the OS, however they are scattered throughout the system

Having said that, I still prefer 100 times Linux: more efficient, no commercial stuff, privacy, maintenance, customization, etc. 8)
But I can't say that I "hate" this version of windows. :)

Check this page for a deep critic to windows 10 (a bit exaggerated, in my opinion):
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-wind ... sucks.html
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:17 pm

xfrank wrote: 2 - the desktop is better than previous versions. The start menu can be tweaked to remove unwanted "apps".
Is / was already possible since Windows XP
xfrank wrote:3 - the OS is quite responsive and fast
With the same hardware less responsive as Windows 7
xfrank wrote:4 - there is a lot of useful features to monitor/adjust the OS, however they are scattered throughout the system
Except privay and update settings ...
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:31 am

xfrank wrote:1 - installation is linux-like. Windows automatically search for drivers and install them. Quick installation, relatively.
This has always been the case even with XP - if Windows cannot find appropriate driver, it will try to use generic one from Microsoft. Windows XP can update drivers from Windows Update, so can Windows 7, 8, 8,1...
2 - the desktop is better than previous versions. The start menu can be tweaked to remove unwanted "apps".
This has always been the case with any Windows version, not just 10. I don't know why people praise MS for restoring things to Win 10 which they eliminated in Win 8 (things which were OK in XP, Vista and 7). MS did mistake, then they attempt to fix it..... but it's all about trust.
3 - the OS is quite responsive and fast
Default Windows installation (any one) is quick, responsive, fast. Problem usually comes later.
Please, just install clean Windows 8.1 or 7 SP1 and try to update them to the latest versions. Let me know how time you will need.
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:33 am

Enjoy >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxErgRMH4hw :D

P.S. this is not me... but I feel for him. Thank you , LM team for the great Mint updater
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 pm

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: man that was hilarious. do microsoft ever listen to its users?

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 am

reddot wrote:do microsoft ever listen to its users?
Sure they do. They spend long hours listening and collecting data on what their users absolutely hate, and then pile all of it plus some fresh horrors into the latest release. :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:09 am

someone mentioned windows kernel having drivers in it. No, the drivers are all in a system driver folder when it's installed. It's not a monolithic kernel like Linux uses.

There's 4 things that take a long time in windows

1) Updates, already mentioned
2) Defragmentation
3) Antivirus scans
4) Reboots, especially mandatory on updates

In Linux my swap file is rarely used, but in Windows it almost can't exist without the pagefile, even with 4GB of RAM. I help users in windows forums, but increasingly it seems a wasste of time, and I don't do any windows 10 threads at all because it's a train wreck in my opinion and most problems are caused by the latest updates to it, even right after someone just got recovered from the previous ones. I enjoyed windows OK through windows 2000, tolerated it in XP with its "activation virus", even for awhile with it's SP3 addition of "activation loop hell" that requires a regedit fix. On Vista, they lost me, I went back to XP and started running Linux distros in virtual systems till I found Kubuntu which I liked and moved to it. Later decided Mint was more to my liking. I actually feel sorry for those still using windows, especially where work or software program requires it. Running windows is like that leaky boat you keep patching up, which provides some entertainment value, but still doesn't compare to a new sleeker boat when the time comes you tire of the process of continually patching it up.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:20 am

Drygar wrote:Enjoy >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxErgRMH4hw :D

P.S. this is not me... but I feel for him. Thank you , LM team for the great Mint updater
windows 10 updates are automatic, no way to turn off, although the professional version will allow delays, but not the home version. I can see that guy driving to Redmond with his AR-15 one day. I sure wouldn't want to be working there after this windows 10 release.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:06 am

Fred Barclay wrote: Sure they do. They spend long hours listening and collecting data on what their users absolutely hate, and then pile all of it plus some fresh horrors into the latest release. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

To be fair, they are listening. It just takes longer than necessary. Before the release of windows 8, 10 critical points were given to Microsoft. It took 13 months to be implemented. It was windows 8.1. :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Skaendo

Post by Skaendo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:31 pm

killer de bug wrote:To be fair, they are listening. It just takes longer than necessary. Before the release of windows 8, 10 critical points were given to Microsoft. It took 13 months to be implemented. It was windows 8.1. :lol:
....and it was still a huge failure. Just like Windows 10 is going to be unless they can FORCE it on enough people.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:45 pm

I like the windows 10 repair disk because it worked for me.

The actual UI and merging of desktop and metro apps... gross!

Gives me the creeps when you click 'shut down' and it just sits there for 5 minutes (still on but screen blanked) radioing skynet or something... :lol:
Donate to your favourite distros!

Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Microsux.. yuck!

3 weeks ago I spent one afternoon and night reinstalling win7 5 family pre activated 2 times. Both times I went online to visit update, got the famous blue screen of death. That was enough for me.. Found Linux Mint KDE Rosa x64 and installed that with all updates in about a half hour. Sill running great and a smile on my face! My Husky puppy now has a new disk shaped chew toy!
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Chiefahol wrote:I like the windows 10 repair disk because it worked for me.
Question is why you need this in the first place? :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:46 am

killer de bug wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:I like the windows 10 repair disk because it worked for me.
Question is why you need this in the first place? :mrgreen:
Windows decided the start button and half the apps should be broken... :lol:
Donate to your favourite distros!

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:44 am

i can't believe this thread has gone onto 4 pages! the MfR is a security debauch and is always busy doing something other than what you want it to do
( MfR = mess from redmond )

now, with Mess #10 customers are all being shifted (not so) quietly to MfR Gateway to the Cloud . maybe MfR thinks they can better tackle the security debauch in this manner; certainly they are looking forward to taking care of all of their customers' data,--

My old boss used to like to quip "Every man has to chew his own stick" and this certainly applies here. it ain't all that hard to download a live .iso and get started with Linux -- the other alternative is AAPL -- but go check their prices,....
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:56 am

I hate Windows because...

...because...
...because...

...Ahh, it's just personal.

:mrgreen:
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Jedinovice wrote:I hate Windows because...

...because...
...because...
Because you couldn't get a job with Microsoft :wink:

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:37 pm

z31fanatic wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:I hate Windows because...

...because...
...because...
Because you couldn't get a job with Microsoft :wink:
I don't get it! I told them I had 15 years experience in COBOL, FORTRAN and PDP-8 assembler and they weren't interested.

Unicorns.Total and utter fairy cake unicorns!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Return to “Open chat”