Read the ads or pay cash or say goodbye

Chat about just about anything else
Fragezeichen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Read the ads or pay cash or say goodbye

Post by Fragezeichen »

Still, you are not entitled to free newspaper articles or magazines whatsoever. If someone decides to write them for free, that's great. However it isn't something you can or should expect. Journalists also need to earn their livelihood and feed their families.
A plumber is kind of an "expert" who knows or should know everything about the stuff he does. He went to school, learned all technical terms and for that knowledge he gets paid for. Not only that, since he passed that school you also have some kind of insurance that the work he does will actually help you to get rid of your plumbing problem.
A journalist is also kind of an "expert" who knows or should know everything about the stuff he does. He went to university and studied his profession as well. So what's your point?
A journalist usually only gathers informations from other sources (which I often times can also visit) and sums them up or re-writes them in his own words, to be able to publish it on his own site. Yet anyone can do that and you actually see that anyone can do it because there can be up to 500 sites informing about the one same thing.
Since everyone can do that, why don't you just apply at the New York Times and get yourself a nice, relaxed and easy job as a journalist? :mrgreen:

Yeah, everyone can write some lines. However, that doesn't make them a journalist.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I have no problem with non-intrusive ads and I think people who demand to never see an ad online are being childishly petulant and unrealistic.
What I have serious problems with is that ad networks are the primary vector for malware attacks, have become very intrusive and worst of all presume to set tracking cookies to track your every online movement. The arrogance of ad networks that think they have the right to track people online almost takes my breath away.
I will allow scripts and ads on sites that use ads sparingly and non-intrusively but I turn off my tracker blocker for absolutely positively no one. I will look at respectfully displayed ads but if tracking is part of the deal site ops can go suck it.
I will not be tracked.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

Just fire up Thunderbird and add one of their RSS feeds: http://www.wired.com/about/rss_feeds/

Edit: oops, that doesn't work with WIRED :( Only headlines are shown.

About the ads: if non-intrusive, I will happily white list a website. There ain't such thing as a free lunch.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

What ads :mrgreen:
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

there is a movement, lead partly by the company that makes "adblock plus"
- to bring about far less intrusive, and far more static advertising.

most people who installed a ad-blocker, did so because the adverts were very invasive.
but - convincing the end user - to change things may be very difficult,
& it will most probably be the owner of the operating system - that decides the end result(s).
- that is - ad-blockers will be blocked by the operating system, itself.
or you won't be able to use that operating system - if you still wish to block the adverts. .. ..

watch both Google & Apple in this area - Microsoft will follow, - if they are successful.

BTW: if you use ad-blockers or even if you don't use ad-blockers,
- you should consider a donation to TeamLinuxMint - maybe annually ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Pierre wrote:most people who installed a ad-blocker, did so because the adverts were very invasive.
That's exactly the problem. We all know that in order to be effective ads need to track us. Otherwise they are not efficient. I think we all agree that we don't want to be tracked!
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim »

BenTrabetere wrote:I suspect my side of the table will be empty....

Most likely. It would be a diiferent story if ads were static, like they are in print media. But on the web, ads contain bombs, like nasty javascript, cookies, and bandwith-robbing videos. Many use Flash. The 'advertisers' are doing all they can to figure out who you are and what you do, so that they can innundate you with MORE ads. You are being profiled, plain and simple. Everytime you allow an ad to display, you are not just giving the site a fraction of a penny, but you are allowing the advertiser to steal some information about YOU.

So, no, I will never turn off ad-blocking. It's not about supporting sites (there are other ways to do that). It's about my own privacy and identity.

EDIT: I guess I should have read ALL of the thread first, as others have said essentially the same thing... ;)
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

LinuxJim wrote:Everytime you allow an ad to display, you are not just giving the site a fraction of a penny, but you are allowing the advertiser to steal some information about YOU.
No human knows and nobody will know who are you. It's just matter of stupid programs "living" thier own life. Depended on algoritms designed by not less stupid programmers. No human analize after. Why stupid? OK, there is answer. Nobody made no purchases because reading web ads. If I am wrong let me know here in topic.
I suspect that ads is commerce on it's own and does not depended on the results i.e sales.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Open chat”