You can't fully disable Win10 spying

Chat about just about anything else
uberdorf
Level 4
Level 4

You can't fully disable Win10 spying

Post by uberdorf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm posting this not because I hate Windows (it is more of a simmering distrust), but because other people who also dual-boot Win 10 and Linux could be affected. Apparently if you disable all the spying features of Windows 10, it will still send info about your computer to Microsoft anyway. Signing the Windows EULA allows Microsoft to legally collect info on you whether you click a box or not on disabling spying features.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/02/10/ ... cmp=hphz06

Fragezeichen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: You can't fully disable Win10 spying

Post by Fragezeichen » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Who would have guessed that? :mrgreen:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:30 pm

It's the price that Windows users pay for Windows 10: no privacy, full identity data transfer.

It's only seemingly cost-free. You pay with knowledge about you. And knowledge is power.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:43 pm

I removed all the spying features of Windows 10 by choosing to not use windows 10 and use Linux. For my needs Linux works.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:46 pm

Pjotr wrote:It's the price that Windows users pay for Windows 10: no privacy, full identity data transfer.
That's right. We used to say 'Follow the money' [if you want to find out who has the true power]. Nowadays, it's 'Follow the data'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 pm

That is a Known Fault - in their new system
:(
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
does help with that issue, but it is still not 100% effective, either.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Doug B » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:08 pm

Pierre wrote:That is a Known Fault - in their new system
:(
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
does help with that issue, but it is still not 100% effective, either.
That was the final thing that made me switch full time to Linux only. I turned off a bunch of the 'phone home' stuff in the win 10 install and installed shutup10. But even then I had a gut feeling that there must be more spying going on.

The trouble with windows is that you just don't know.

Doug

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:49 pm

The very first sentence of the Microsoft Privacy Statement is:
"Your privacy is important to us."
True--but in a sinister monetary sense.

The Privacy Statement section of the EULA is here:
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/

Everybody needs to read all EULAs in the entirety before blind acceptance or agreement
to a policy you may regret.

With "Windows as a service" you could be bound by this agreement forever.

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:58 pm

You can disable it in Win7 and 8, but it just gets installed again with updates. :)

I have a Win7 partition, which I rarely use. Not so much because of the spying - I just think Windows is an ugly mess. It hurts me in my soul just to look at it.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:35 am

My how appealing does VISTA look now as it receives no privacy intrusive information calling home to MS updates at all.
Only windows 7 and windows 8.0 / 8.1 and of course everyone's favorite windows 10.

VISTA ROCKS and I always liked it the day of release.

However i will keep using Linux.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:36 am

i like this thread

obviously none of us has any control -- or even very good knowledge -- of what's actually in the Mess from Redmond --

but this week I've manged to get a copy of Win8.1 running in Virtual Box and this seems like a step in the right direction . in my case this means (1) running only those apps that (a) don't run in Linux, and (b) for which I've not found a good Linux alternate -- in the mfr/os --- and (2) limiting the mfr/os : (a) i only activate it if i really need it, and (b) I will simply cut it off from the net while using it . { i can fire it up and let it update -- while not running any app } { this also suggests keeping any important data -- e.g. tax returns -- out of the mfr/os file system } { i have to think about temp. files }

it has been noted that in the television industry : audience is the product and advertisers are the customer . this seems to apply to many areas of software as well- the mfr/os for one; and web pages totally .
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 am

"You can't fully disable Win10 spying"

Why would you want to? That would defeat the purpose.
Toasters toast
MP3 players play MP3s
Heaters heat
Spyware spies.

Why ask Windows 10 to do something it was not designed for?

Unless you're confusing it with an operating system.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:28 am

Are you all that bored you have to yak it up over someone else's Operating System?

My God, Windows this, Windows that....
Like a bunch of 6th graders gossiping.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:45 am

Habitual wrote:Are you all that bored you have to yak it up over someone else's Operating System?

My God, Windows this, Windows that....
Like a bunch of 6th graders gossiping.

a) You should see the Windows fanboys on Linux. "It's so hard to use. There is no usable GUI in Linux. You can only compile from source to install. Everything in Linux has to be set up via the command line…" it goes on an on. At least the rants about Windows here are based on reality.

b) The poster was WARNING about the nature of Windows 10. Most of this post has been information on the Windows 10 problem and how to solve it (you can't.)

c) You don't regard an OS that transmits your data over to Microsoft a problem - even key grabbing?

d) You obviously don't remember the Spectrum vs C64, Atari vs Amiga vs Arc, RISC vs CISC wars. This is part of computing baby!
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:50 am

Oh yes, and the TRS-80 vs Apple II vs Commodore PET wars before then...

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:06 am

MS now injects the same privacy intrusion reporting-and-telemetry updates into windows 7 and windows 8.0 / 8.1 .

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150 ... ures.shtml

Imagine that.
Last edited by poorguy on Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

uberdorf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by uberdorf » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:09 am

For anyone complaining about this thread bashing "someone else's OS", please read at least the first post before complaining about a thread and calling names. I'll repeat the relevant part...
I'm posting this not because I hate Windows (it is more of a simmering distrust), but because other people who also dual-boot Win 10 and Linux could be affected.
That is the context of this thread, I use Windows sometimes in addition to Linux and thought this thread might be relevant to other dual-booters of Linux and Windows also.

So anyone tired of Windows being discussed, please don't troll this thread and get it locked. Thank you.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:42 pm

I have thought about dumping my windows 7 and reinstall Vista since it doesn't seem to be getting hit with all of the privacy information seeking updates.
I have always liked windows Vista from the 1st release and never an issue with it at all.
Had i known that MS was going for all of the privacy intrusive updates I would never have bought windows 7.
I have never thought that is was better than windows Vista which now is proving to be more secure than the other MS OS now.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Downgrading to Vista is not the best soltuion.
Set Windows 7 to check for updates and inform you about it. Then you can check the updates, the "wrong" can be set to "hide"
Once a month less then 15 minutes to check the updates for a supported system is not to much ;)
Install GWX panel and you can see if M$ has altered your settings.
Vista support ends april 2017, 7 support ends januari 2020
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Bolle1961 wrote:Downgrading to Vista is not the best soltuion.
Set Windows 7 to check for updates and inform you about it. Then you can check the updates, the "wrong" can be set to "hide"
Once a month less then 15 minutes to check the updates for a supported system is not to much ;)
Install GWX panel and you can see if M$ has altered your settings.
Vista support ends april 2017, 7 support ends januari 2020
I disagre.
I only use windows to run MS Flight Simulator X and that is all.
Web browsing and everything else is only done on a desktop computer using Linux.
So for myself in this case using Vista would be an upgrade and I don't care if it is no longer supported after April 2017.
I still do engineering on a windows xp computer as it is already running the needed software and works fine still. I jut keep it disconnected from the internet.

Return to “Open chat”