You can't fully disable Win10 spying

Chat about just about anything else
Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Re: You can't fully disable Win10 spying

Post by Drygar » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Pretty much nobody talks about Android spying features but they are very similar to the Windows 10 ones.
Microsoft/Windows 10 is pretty much the same as what Google/Android has been for several years.
With Android and deviced with GPS and location turned ON by default - they have your exact location based on :
- GPS
- WiFi
- Cell towers info

They have your camera, microphone (OK, Google) , emails, net traffic, etc. Pictures have built-in GPS coordinates, etc >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3NvdrS2t-A
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:41 pm

In that specific case is Vista indeed an upgrade
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Jedinovice wrote:a) You should see the Windows fanboys on Linux.
Pretty sure I've seen a couple right here.
Last edited by Habitual on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Bolle1961 wrote:In that specific case is Vista indeed an upgrade
Yes in my particular case it is.
I need no internet connection to run MS Flight Simulator X.
It is the only reason I still have and run windows software.

For that matter I can even use windows xp to run MS Flight Simulator X and still have a game box with windows xp for MS Flight Simulator 9 and also for MS Flight Simulator X.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:12 am

poorguy wrote:I need no internet connection to run MS Flight Simulator X.
Only if you don't interesting real weather and traffic.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:21 am

BigEasy wrote:
poorguy wrote:I need no internet connection to run MS Flight Simulator X.
Only if you don't interesting real weather and traffic.
True for real weather an internet connection is needed or I can create my own weather from the control panel within Flight Simulator.
As far as air traffic I believe that is generated within Flight Simulator based from flight plan and flight destination.

Also an internet connection is needed for multiplayer online which I never do.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Drygar wrote:Pretty much nobody talks about Android spying features but they are very similar to the Windows 10 ones.
Microsoft/Windows 10 is pretty much the same as what Google/Android has been for several years.
With Android and deviced with GPS and location turned ON by default - they have your exact location based on :
- GPS
- WiFi
- Cell towers info

They have your camera, microphone (OK, Google) , emails, net traffic, etc. Pictures have built-in GPS coordinates, etc >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3NvdrS2t-A
I only use my phone for what is was intended for and that is to make calls.
I don't email on it or internet on it and don't have no google plus account or facebook account for the trouble makers in the social drama world of the stupid.

GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GreyGeek » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Jedinovice wrote:Oh yes, and the TRS-80 vs Apple II vs Commodore PET wars before then...
Or, the MSI8080 vs CPM before them,

Or, the Sphere vs Rex war before them!

Or, the analog compute vs the home brews before them!
(ya, I'm that old and I fought in all those wars)

It doesn't matter what device or OS you use, all of them are infected or tracked. And, it doesn't matter if you bank with your iPhone or not,the NSA already has access to all your banking and credit history, your past and present employment, etc, even if you only bank in person and only use cash to buy everything and to pay your bills.

The real question is "Can anyone besides the NSA infect your device or OS and the answer to that is that Linux is far more secure and Mint doesn't plant Trojans or viruses."

ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:39 am

You can't fully disable Win10 spying
Yes you can. Given that

Win10 == spying,

it follows that

disable(Win10) == disable(spying)

On the other hand,

( disable(spying) && keep(Win10) ) == false

so you know what you have to do.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:04 pm

uberdorf wrote:I'm posting this not because I hate Windows (it is more of a simmering distrust), but because other people who also dual-boot Win 10 and Linux could be affected. Apparently if you disable all the spying features of Windows 10, it will still send info about your computer to Microsoft anyway. Signing the Windows EULA allows Microsoft to legally collect info on you whether you click a box or not on disabling spying features.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/02/10/ ... cmp=hphz06

put it in a virtual box and don't run network apps with it
¡Viva la Resistencia!

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:26 pm

mike acker wrote:
uberdorf wrote:I'm posting this not because I hate Windows (it is more of a simmering distrust), but because other people who also dual-boot Win 10 and Linux could be affected. Apparently if you disable all the spying features of Windows 10, it will still send info about your computer to Microsoft anyway. Signing the Windows EULA allows Microsoft to legally collect info on you whether you click a box or not on disabling spying features.

Windows 10 *is* one big network app. You could disable the network interface in the VM, but I'm not sure how functional Win 10 would be without any network hardware. In any case, the spying starts simply by booting the OS.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:32 pm

LinuxJim wrote:
mike acker wrote:

Windows 10 *is* one big network app. You could disable the network interface in the VM, but I'm not sure how functional Win 10 would be without any network hardware. In any case, the spying starts simply by booting the OS.
TRUE, But: it can only spy on stuff that is available in the virtual box. I have an 8.1 running in a Virtual Box -- using 4GB and 3 of 4 cpu. generally i'm either using a windows app -- or if i want to use Linux -- it runs OK with the VM open but normally i'd just close the VM guest and get my cpus back .

note to the gentlemen who helped me with this: i ripped out the 3x2GB factory memory and installed a new 2x4GB set. this gets the memory balanced on channels 0, and 1 -- like it should be . both machines now run better .
¡Viva la Resistencia!

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:10 pm

mike acker wrote: TRUE, But: it can only spy on stuff that is available in the virtual box.
Ok, I see your point now. That's true. Still, I don't see the usefulness of having Win10 in a VM if one cannot actually *use* it. I guess you could play a game or two, as long as you don't need to supply any email address or login info or keys or passwords or...

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:10 pm

LinuxJim wrote:
mike acker wrote: TRUE, But: it can only spy on stuff that is available in the virtual box.
Ok, I see your point now. That's true. Still, I don't see the usefulness of having Win10 in a VM if one cannot actually *use* it. I guess you could play a game or two, as long as you don't need to supply any email address or login info or keys or passwords or...
for openers, we take the web browser, e/mail, and Office off the table.
next -- we have lots of good programs for music and photography

what's left ?
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:21 am

mike acker wrote:what's left ?
The updater application for my TomTom navigation device..... Windows-only, even though the device itself is running on a Linux kernel. For that purpose, a Windows VM in VirtualBox is quite handy.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:38 am

Pjotr wrote:
The updater application for my TomTom navigation device..... Windows-only, even though the device itself is running on a Linux kernel. For that purpose, a Windows VM in VirtualBox is quite handy.
this is exactly what i found: right now i have two programs that i really need to run on Windows,--
  • Turbotax
  • Epson V500 scanner
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:55 am

Pjotr wrote:
Next time buy a Garmin, It can work with OpenStreetMap, just copy / paste your maps to the device
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:06 pm

My dual boot Linuxmint and Win7 Ultimate64 has the win 7 disconnected with a MAX firewall for receive and a soft disconnect with misinformation of server and router. I only use the Win 7 for CAD work. No updates wanted or acknowledged for either one. Only communication with the outside world is via flash drive.

Arthur8222
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arthur8222 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:12 am

M0em wrote:
Pjotr wrote:It's the price that Windows users pay for Windows 10: no privacy, full identity data transfer.
That's right. We used to say 'Follow the money' [if you want to find out who has the true power]. Nowadays, it's 'Follow the data'.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:47 pm

evidently if we follow the data we'll end up reading "The Panama Papers",-- and,-- it would seem,-- this leads to The Money

what does this hacker "Guccifer" have to do with any of this anyhow?
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open chat”