Weird looking MATE in GhostBSD 10.1 Ève

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Weird looking MATE in GhostBSD 10.1 Ève

Post by capivara »

I like to play around with other operating systems at times. Yesterday I installed GhostBSD 10.1, which uses MATE. It was not the first time I installed this OS. At that time there were no issues of any importance. When I installed GhostBSD yesterday, initially everything went according to plan. There's MATE as the DE and everything worked as advertised. Until I decided to apply all updates. MATE suddenly looked like this:
GhostBSD-MATE-new1.jpg
GhostBSD-MATE-new2.jpg
GhostBSD-MATE-new3.jpg
Weird. Looks / behaves like Unity. Buggy too. See a review cut short: https://sacredsilicon.wordpress.com/201 ... -10-1-eve/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
All my computers are in Mint condition.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Weird looking MATE in GhostBSD 10.1 Ève

Post by BigEasy »

capivara wrote:Looks / behaves like Unity./
No, looks like Gnome3. Are you sure it is really Mate?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

BigEasy wrote:
capivara wrote:Looks / behaves like Unity./
No, looks like Gnome3. Are you sure it is really Mate?
Eye of MATE, MATE config apps, lots of MATE stuff. You can see some of these in one of the last screen shots. I never ran into Gnome3 yet, wouldn't recognize it if I tripped over it.

Hans
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Probably Gnome3 somehow installed. I don't think Mate dissapeard. Login window must contain control to choose session.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Yeah, that's definitely Gnome 3. :lol:

I suppose GhostBSD has some sort of package query where you can check if something was installed or not? You know, like

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep gnome-shell
A quick look at the gnome packages in LMDE Betsy shows that there's also something called "mate-gnome-main-menu-applet" which is a "GNOME start menu applet for MATE"--maybe you installed this? Seems kinda weird though--who would want a Gnome 3 menu for Mate? Why not just use Gnome 3? Maybe I'm missing something... :roll:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

I didn't install anything... just the OS + updates. It proved to be Gnome3 indeed, but totally crippled. The login screen doesn't have any options. It's not important, due to lack op knowledge I just wondered what the hell I ran into. Thanks all!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

BTW: how do you like GhostBSD? I need to try and stick with a *BSD eventually. Every time I've tried so far, I end up wiping it within a day. :roll:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

Fred Barclay wrote:BTW: how do you like GhostBSD? I need to try and stick with a *BSD eventually. Every time I've tried so far, I end up wiping it within a day. :roll:
GhostBSD is growing on me, after I fixed the problem regarding the Gnome3 DE it tried to shove down my throat. However, it is running on a desktop, so I have limited experience with hardware compatibility. For example, I'm not sure if it plays nicely with WiFi.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/BEaKZAz.jpg

Hans

Return to “Open Chat”