San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Chat about just about anything else
User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:30 pm

While details are few, it appears that an unnamed third-party has successfully cracked the iPhone used by a San Bernadino shooter:
The FBI has now successfully retrieved the data stored on the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple required by this Court Order.
So, assuming that this is true...,
Is this good? Bad?
On one hand, with the gov't dropping the case against Apple, that's one crisis averted. Perhaps the government can't/won't force Apple to decrypt their own devices (at least not publicly).

On the other, this means that the government is now in possession of a way to crack these devices at will. While the article claims that the cracking method only works against one specific model of the iPhone, can we expect that to actually be true?
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

User avatar
LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:While the article claims that the cracking method only works against one specific model of the iPhone, can we expect that to actually be true?
Assuming that Apple can learn the identity of the person(s) who cracked the iPhone, they stand to make a boatload of money from Apple for disclosing the method. Then Apple will push out an update and be done with it. That's also assuming that the FBI hasn't already paid them a large sum to sign a 'keep-quiet' agreement.

User avatar
GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by GreyGeek » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 pm

On the other hand, it is possible that the story of the FBI getting "outside" help to crack the iPhone could merely be a cover story to protect Apple, who may have actually assisted the FBI. There is never an end to conspiracy theories. :lol:

But,
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com ... -overseas/
"CNN reported that Apple had been accused of “kowtowing to the Chinese government” after “pulling from its China App Store a product enabling users to circumvent firewalls and access restricted sites.” This wasn’t the first time since 2011 that Apple had removed apps that people in China used to access independent overseas Chinese media or bookstores."

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20160 ... ne-dispute
"Apple Inc.’s general counsel is using the words “false” and “ridiculous” to describe the federal government’s claims that the company assisted China in accessing customer phone data but refuses to help the FBI access an encrypted iPhone used by the gunman in the Dec. 2 terrorist attack in San Bernardino."

But nothing is worse than when we censor ourselves of of fear of retribution by politically correct influences.
https://www.dissidentblog.org/en/articl ... al-control

User avatar
LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:39 am

GreyGeek wrote:"CNN reported that Apple had been accused of “kowtowing to the Chinese government” after “pulling from its China App Store a product enabling users to circumvent firewalls and access restricted sites.” This wasn’t the first time since 2011 that Apple had removed apps that people in China used to access independent overseas Chinese media or bookstores."
I don't see that as 'kowtowing' - I see it as respecting the culture. I don't agree with the censorship in China either, but I respect that it's a part of the Chinese culture. If an entity wants to do business in a foreign culture, they should respect the rules and customs of that culture - not impose their own.
GreyGeek wrote:But nothing is worse than when we censor ourselves of of fear of retribution by politically correct influences.
Amen to that!

User avatar
Moem
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Moem » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:03 am

LinuxJim wrote: I don't see that as 'kowtowing' - I see it as respecting the culture. I don't agree with the censorship in China either, but I respect that it's a part of the Chinese culture. If an entity wants to do business in a foreign culture, they should respect the rules and customs of that culture - not impose their own.
The culture of the government or the culture of the people? Seems like there's a difference. Who gets to decide what a country's culture is?
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Chrząszczyżewoszyce, powiat Łękołody

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by BigEasy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:19 am

Fred Barclay wrote:On the other, this means that the government is now in possession of a way to crack these devices at will. While the article claims that the cracking method only works against one specific model of the iPhone, can we expect that to actually be true?
Hope goverment (and nation) never interested your iPhone whatever model it is.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:26 am

M0em wrote: The culture of the government or the culture of the people? Seems like there's a difference. Who gets to decide what a country's culture is?
+1 :D

Judging by the fact that (some of) the people use Tor and etc. already to circumvent the Great Firewall, I'd say the two cultures are not aligned. I personally would be very unhappy with my government telling me I can't view content on the Internet and wouldn't consider that part of my culture... unless I've accepted oppression as "just the way it is."

There again, that's me as a freedom-loving Westerner looking in.

BigEasy: no iPhone here! Actually no smart phone at all. I keep telling myself I'll get one within the year... and never do.
Oh well, by this time next year I'll be viewing this forum on my new smartphone. :roll:
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:13 am

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by bad medicine » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:49 am

Fred Barclay wrote:While details are few, it appears that an unnamed third-party has successfully cracked the iPhone used by a San Bernadino shooter:
The FBI has now successfully retrieved the data stored on the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple required by this Court Order.
So, assuming that this is true...,
Is this good? Bad?
Its not even news as far as I'm concerned. So the FBI cracked a phone. Wow, that's a shocker. You mean the government can spy on us and crack decryption? You mean our privacy and security of our digital data isn't so secure and private? I'm speechless. Holy cow Batman, this is totally rocking my world... :o
Thinkpad T410 i5 2.4 Ghz 4GB
Dual boot Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64-bit, Windows 7
kernel 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

User avatar
LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 pm

M0em wrote:The culture of the government or the culture of the people? Seems like there's a difference.
Culture is culture. The local government is part of what defines the culture.
M0em wrote:Who gets to decide what a country's culture is?
That country, of course.

I think I see where you're going, though. But atrocities notwithstanding, my point was simply that culture 'a' should not try to redefine culture 'b' by imposing its values.

mmix
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by mmix » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:39 pm

> Who gets to decide what a country's culture is?
IMHO, hidden hands.

User avatar
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Missouri

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Amii_Leigh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm surprised that this is such an issue. I consider having and using a cellular telecommunications device of any kind to be a convenience, nothing more. If you never store anything on it that's personal or confidential, there shouldn't be any problem. If you have to tell someone something of a personal, confidential, or secretive nature, then you really should be using other means that are much better suited for keeping such as being personal, confidential and secret! Like talking to that person in person, just like in the cold war movies!
It's my opinion that encryption is a waste of time and money as someone, somewhere will find it necessary to know what it is you're hiding, no matter what it is. So, just don't go out of your way to preserve your data extra specially. I'm sure something will happen to ruin your idea of 'perfect' security.
Last edited by Amii_Leigh on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

User avatar
GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by GreyGeek » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
M0em wrote: .....
BigEasy: no iPhone here! Actually no smart phone at all. I keep telling myself I'll get one within the year... and never do.
Oh well, by this time next year I'll be viewing this forum on my new smartphone. :roll:
My wife and I had been using Motorola W555 flip phones since Alltel offered them in a 2000 minute sharing plan for $55. That was about 10-15 years ago. About 5-10 years ago Alltel was bought out by Verizon. Gradually, Verizon jacked the charges up till they were in the vicinity of $85, while they gradually cut the sharing hours to 1000 minutes. We decided to switch to iPhone's. The best Verizon could offer was two Androids for $130 for 1GB of data and 1000 minutes and I forgot how many text msgs. For iPhone's we'd have to pay about $165-180 for two lines, etc.... Our budget couldn't take that hit just for phone calls. We often used Google talk from out laptops, with its free minutes inside the US. That worked nice, including using our real phone numbers. All in all, we replaced the batteries in those Motorolas about five or six times.

In January of 2015 we decided to switch to smartphones. We were looking around when my son called and said that they had purchased a six line plan for their family of four, because of the price break, and had two extra lines that we could use for $100/month, which includes sharing 30GB of data and unlimited phone and text. We got hefty discounts on purchases of an iPhone 6+ for myself and an iPhone 6 for my wife.

I was STUNNED by the power of my iPhone 6+. OUt of 64GB of RAM the user capacity is 55.3GB I have 30.7GB unused. The used RAM includes 22 videos, 408 photos and 97 applications and their data. Of all the things I used to do on my laptop I have moved EVERYTHING to my iPhone 6+ except for playing Minecraft with my grandsons and flying the Orbiter 2010 space flight simulation, and visiting my wife's hospital portal, which doesn't include a smartphone form factor. However, I have photographed every medical document related to my wife's heart and hip operations, and all the followups. Friends makes it easy to see where my wife's phone is, when she misplaces it.

The app I use the most is Calendar. I schedule all of our personal appointments with it. It syncs with her iPhone. When either of us enter an appointment it appears on both of our calendars. The multiple alarm features, combined with maps makes it a perfect tool.

Next most used app is Mail, followed by Safari. I have Chrome on board but rarely use it. I also have Ghostery for those sites that get too particular about knowing my particulars.

There are a few things I could never do on my laptop. One is give my wife an ECG. With a $75 attachment and a free app from Kardia I can take Lead I, II, III, V3, V4 and V5 ECG's anytime I want. For $2 I can have a tech look at it. For $12 I can have a board certified cardiologist send me an analysis, which I can forward to my wife's doctor or cardiologist. When I had an episode of tachycardia last August my own ECG confirmed 144 bpm with AFibs. An echo later confirmed my heart veins and arteries are clear and the episode was probably due to MSG on a salad consumed the night before. After a couple months I stopped taking Metoprolol and Warfarin.

Using my laptop as a GPS receiver was too awkward and frankly the Linux software stunk. Using "Speedometer" turns my iPhone into a GPS device that blows my old 3.5" Garmin away. And, the GPS function does NOT depend on a cellphone tower connection!

I could never tap a cash register with my laptop and pay a bill. The convenience of having my phone alert me instantly when my Chase card processes a transaction is too important to ignore. Ditto for my bank. It is the best way to stop food service people from ripping you off. No matter where I am at I can access my bank data and update my local checkbook. I can pay bills from my phone at any time, any place.

The iPhone volume can be so loud that on occasions my wife and I watch an online movie from Amazon or YouTube while in bed. Looking at a 5.5" diagonal screen at 1 foot is like looking at a 44" screen at 8 feet. Instant access to the library for book browsing, reserving and renewal. Editing photos and videos.

The planetarium apps are awesome! Puniverse, GoSkyWatch, SolarWalk, StarWalk2, etc., give easy access to simulation tools. WolframAlpha, Calculator Infinity, Sage Math, Photomath, and a variety of other math engines make modeling easy. QuickElem refreshes my memory, which used to know all 92 elements by name, AN, AW, Density, Eneg, orbital structure, etc...

The ACLU's NE Justice app allows one to begin a video recording of an encounter with the police with the press of a single button. The recording is streamed live to an ACLU server and cannot be erased by police if they confiscate the phone with that intent in mind, which they are want to do. The camera can set in my shirt pocket with the camera port facing outward and give no indication that a recording is taking place.

I never forget contacts now. I wish I had that ability when I was running my consulting business between 1980 and 1997, instead of a Rolodex.

Need a carpenter level? Got it. Need a compass? Got it, but with maps who needs it? Flashlight? Got it. Music to soothe the savage beast? Got it.

GasBuddy tells me where the best gasoline deals are at any location I may happen to be.

I have a hunting and fishing license. I have NE PocketRangers for both on my iPhone. Maps of all the state parks, fishing spots, rules, regs, etc...

FlightRadar24 allows me to track any non-military aircraft in the world. You would be amazed at all the squawk 7700 codes (general emergency) I see happening in Europe and other places, and how few happen in North America. Want to watch the police helicopters patrol a neighborhood? You can see their flight track from takeoff to landing, with all the loops in between. You can identify them by the tiny helicopter icon with rotating blades! Great for keeping track of my kids flights around the country, to time drop offs for departures, time arrivals, etc...

When my youngest grandson gets too big to play Minecraft (my middle grandson has abandon Minecraft a month ago for baseball and girls!) and the hospital releases a smartphone app for its portal I may find myself abandoning my 17" laptop. And Linux. I've had a personal computer since the summer of 1978, when I bought the first Apple ][+ sold in the state of Nebraska, and made my living using it since 1980, when I quit teaching HS to start my own business. I've run Linux on my laptops since May of 1998. My Acer 7739 may be the last laptop I will ever use or own. That is a span of time that saw the birth of the PC and the beginning of its demise. 38 years. Those were the glory years of the PC.

User avatar
GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by GreyGeek » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:04 am


User avatar
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:32 am

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Chiefahol » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:25 pm

LinuxJim wrote:That's also assuming that the FBI hasn't already paid them a large sum to sign a 'keep-quiet' agreement.
Or threatened them with a large amount of jail time. :wink:
Donate to your favourite distros!

User avatar
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Missouri

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Amii_Leigh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 am

GreyGeek wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:
M0em wrote: .....
BigEasy: no iPhone here! Actually no smart phone at all. I keep telling myself I'll get one within the year... and never do.
Oh well, by this time next year I'll be viewing this forum on my new smartphone. :roll:
My wife and I had been using Motorola W555 flip phones since Alltel offered them in a 2000 minute sharing plan for $55. That was about 10-15 years ago. About 5-10 years ago Alltel was bought out by Verizon. Gradually, Verizon jacked the charges up till they were in the vicinity of $85, while they gradually cut the sharing hours to 1000 minutes. We decided to switch to iPhone's. The best Verizon could offer was two Androids for $130 for 1GB of data and 1000 minutes and I forgot how many text msgs. For iPhone's we'd have to pay about $165-180 for two lines, etc.... Our budget couldn't take that hit just for phone calls. We often used Google talk from out laptops, with its free minutes inside the US. That worked nice, including using our real phone numbers. All in all, we replaced the batteries in those Motorolas about five or six times.

In January of 2015 we decided to switch to smartphones. We were looking around when my son called and said that they had purchased a six line plan for their family of four, because of the price break, and had two extra lines that we could use for $100/month, which includes sharing 30GB of data and unlimited phone and text. We got hefty discounts on purchases of an iPhone 6+ for myself and an iPhone 6 for my wife.

I was STUNNED by the power of my iPhone 6+. OUt of 64GB of RAM the user capacity is 55.3GB I have 30.7GB unused. The used RAM includes 22 videos, 408 photos and 97 applications and their data. Of all the things I used to do on my laptop I have moved EVERYTHING to my iPhone 6+ except for playing Minecraft with my grandsons and flying the Orbiter 2010 space flight simulation, and visiting my wife's hospital portal, which doesn't include a smartphone form factor. However, I have photographed every medical document related to my wife's heart and hip operations, and all the followups. Friends makes it easy to see where my wife's phone is, when she misplaces it.

The app I use the most is Calendar. I schedule all of our personal appointments with it. It syncs with her iPhone. When either of us enter an appointment it appears on both of our calendars. The multiple alarm features, combined with maps makes it a perfect tool.

Next most used app is Mail, followed by Safari. I have Chrome on board but rarely use it. I also have Ghostery for those sites that get too particular about knowing my particulars.

There are a few things I could never do on my laptop. One is give my wife an ECG. With a $75 attachment and a free app from Kardia I can take Lead I, II, III, V3, V4 and V5 ECG's anytime I want. For $2 I can have a tech look at it. For $12 I can have a board certified cardiologist send me an analysis, which I can forward to my wife's doctor or cardiologist. When I had an episode of tachycardia last August my own ECG confirmed 144 bpm with AFibs. An echo later confirmed my heart veins and arteries are clear and the episode was probably due to MSG on a salad consumed the night before. After a couple months I stopped taking Metoprolol and Warfarin.

Using my laptop as a GPS receiver was too awkward and frankly the Linux software stunk. Using "Speedometer" turns my iPhone into a GPS device that blows my old 3.5" Garmin away. And, the GPS function does NOT depend on a cellphone tower connection!

I could never tap a cash register with my laptop and pay a bill. The convenience of having my phone alert me instantly when my Chase card processes a transaction is too important to ignore. Ditto for my bank. It is the best way to stop food service people from ripping you off. No matter where I am at I can access my bank data and update my local checkbook. I can pay bills from my phone at any time, any place.

The iPhone volume can be so loud that on occasions my wife and I watch an online movie from Amazon or YouTube while in bed. Looking at a 5.5" diagonal screen at 1 foot is like looking at a 44" screen at 8 feet. Instant access to the library for book browsing, reserving and renewal. Editing photos and videos.

The planetarium apps are awesome! Puniverse, GoSkyWatch, SolarWalk, StarWalk2, etc., give easy access to simulation tools. WolframAlpha, Calculator Infinity, Sage Math, Photomath, and a variety of other math engines make modeling easy. QuickElem refreshes my memory, which used to know all 92 elements by name, AN, AW, Density, Eneg, orbital structure, etc...

The ACLU's NE Justice app allows one to begin a video recording of an encounter with the police with the press of a single button. The recording is streamed live to an ACLU server and cannot be erased by police if they confiscate the phone with that intent in mind, which they are want to do. The camera can set in my shirt pocket with the camera port facing outward and give no indication that a recording is taking place.

I never forget contacts now. I wish I had that ability when I was running my consulting business between 1980 and 1997, instead of a Rolodex.

Need a carpenter level? Got it. Need a compass? Got it, but with maps who needs it? Flashlight? Got it. Music to soothe the savage beast? Got it.

GasBuddy tells me where the best gasoline deals are at any location I may happen to be.

I have a hunting and fishing license. I have NE PocketRangers for both on my iPhone. Maps of all the state parks, fishing spots, rules, regs, etc...

FlightRadar24 allows me to track any non-military aircraft in the world. You would be amazed at all the squawk 7700 codes (general emergency) I see happening in Europe and other places, and how few happen in North America. Want to watch the police helicopters patrol a neighborhood? You can see their flight track from takeoff to landing, with all the loops in between. You can identify them by the tiny helicopter icon with rotating blades! Great for keeping track of my kids flights around the country, to time drop offs for departures, time arrivals, etc...

When my youngest grandson gets too big to play Minecraft (my middle grandson has abandon Minecraft a month ago for baseball and girls!) and the hospital releases a smartphone app for its portal I may find myself abandoning my 17" laptop. And Linux. I've had a personal computer since the summer of 1978, when I bought the first Apple ][+ sold in the state of Nebraska, and made my living using it since 1980, when I quit teaching HS to start my own business. I've run Linux on my laptops since May of 1998. My Acer 7739 may be the last laptop I will ever use or own. That is a span of time that saw the birth of the PC and the beginning of its demise. 38 years. Those were the glory years of the PC.
For the life of me, I could never understand what the romance was in signing away your life to what appeared to be a tiny device. Only thing was, that was deceiving. You aren't just signing away your life and privacy to a tiny device, you are signing it away to an application provider that uses all the data you give it in it's quest to make a profit. You choose to delude yourself that you 'know' how to do all these things that these 'applications' say that they can do, but do you really, when you aren't trying to understand what they enable that application provider to do? Besides that, what it's telling you to do, via it's applications?
For me, I think I'd rather keep my privacy and the freedom to think for myself than to download an application that says it will do it for me. To do that, I won't sign in to any service that says it will 'help' me and let it take away my last bastion of a thinking person.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: 0.0.0.0

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Habitual » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:28 am

Apparently, Cellebrite is the "mechanic".
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cellebrite+san+bernadino&t=h

I have a Dream....
A dream where some day soon in this Culture of Technology,
unlocking iPhones will become like LockSport

User avatar
Pierre
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8552
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Pierre » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:51 am

for sure - you can do a lot of stuff on a smart 'ph
but most of that stuff that GreyGeek described
- isn't available around here :)

my XYL is on a smart plan that gives unlimited Talk & Text & 4Gb data - for $40/mth.
whereas my dumb 'ph has none of that ..

- I'm more interested in keeping my data use-age within it's limits,
so that I'm not banged for excess data, like the other month, was.
& NO - there is no *.dsl around these parts.

But back to the thread topic - - that was just a matter of time,
& probably IS just for the one device, at least at the moment.

and anyway - whatever the US Gov't has - so will this Gov't too.
- they share that stuff around.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

1.618
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:22 am
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent
Contact:

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by 1.618 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:12 am

Fred Barclay wrote:this means that the government is now in possession of a way to crack these devices at will. While the article claims that the cracking method only works against one specific model of the iPhone, can we expect that to actually be true?
Guess we're about to find out, seems the FBI are 'Offering' to help other law enforcement agencies so this isn't going to stop at just one phone, but then it was never about just a single phone , IMO
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35933239

FBI agrees to unlock another iPhone in homicide case

The FBI has offered to unlock another iPhone for police after revealing it could access the handset used by San Bernardino killer Syed Farook.

Police in Arkansas wish to unlock an iPhone and iPod belonging to two teenagers accused of killing a couple, according to the Associated Press (AP).

Less than a day after its San Bernardino announcement, the FBI agreed to help in the homicide case.

User avatar
GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by GreyGeek » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Amii_Leigh wrote: ...
For the life of me, I could never understand what the romance was in signing away your life to what appeared to be a tiny device. Only thing was, that was deceiving. You aren't just signing away your life and privacy to a tiny device, you are signing it away to an application provider that uses all the data you give it in it's quest to make a profit. You choose to delude yourself that you 'know' how to do all these things that these 'applications' say that they can do, but do you really, when you aren't trying to understand what they enable that application provider to do? Besides that, what it's telling you to do, via it's applications?
For me, I think I'd rather keep my privacy and the freedom to think for myself than to download an application that says it will do it for me. To do that, I won't sign in to any service that says it will 'help' me and let it take away my last bastion of a thinking person.
I programmed computers since I used banana plugs to wire the punch board of an IBM 402 Tabulator at the Barnes School of Business in Denver in 1959. I learned Fortran IV in grad school in 1967-8 on a Honeywell 200 using a KSR-133 keyboard with punch tape to write programs, instead of Hollingworth 80 column punch cards, to solve problem assignments for my grad Engineering Physics class. I taught programming as a college prof and taught the first BASIC language class for teachers for college credit in Nebraska. For nearly 18 years I ran my own computer & criminal forensic consulting business writing software as required and doing CSI whenever requested by LEOs. At the request of LEO's I've cracked bookie computer programs and exposed their client lists and transactions. One crack took less than five minutes. I can set in a car or truck outside you home or apartment, in the place next door to you and watch you type on your computer screen without even touching your hardware, wifi signal or electrical lines.

You write of delusion. No one, me or you, "signed away" our lives. No one is more deluded than to think that because they are using Linux they are secure from intrusion into their private information. While Linux can keep the run of the mill script kiddie or hacker out of your system, and that is a good thing, your information is NOT solely on computers and servers running Linux. It has been exposed to government spying for decades. In the 1960s the US and four other governments began using ECHELON to spy on phone, telegraph and other forms of electronic or electric communications as they enter or leave points along our coasts. It has gotten much worse since then. The Feds can and have coerced most if not all financial institutions to reveal financial and personal data on any person they request information for. The RSA 2048 key in Apple was cracked by an Israeli company but not by hacking passwords. YOUR bank, if you live in America, would, will and has complied instantly with all requests for law enforcement agencies for personal and financial info, without a 4th Amendment warrant. There isn't ANYTHING about you that the Feds don't already have, or could easily get, if they wanted it. And that is probably true for China, Russia, ISIS and other governments or groups that want to spy out your info.

Re-read what I wrote about the use of an electrocardiogram attachment to my iPhone 6 and how monitors my wife's heart. My wife's cardiologist was astounded by it. If it were your wife how much would such an ability ability be worth to you?

User avatar
Pierre
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8552
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: San Bernadino iPhone successfully cracked

Post by Pierre » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:00 am

GreyGeek wrote:
You write of delusion. No one, me or you, "signed away" our lives. No one is more deluded than to think that because they are using Linux they are secure from intrusion into their private information. While Linux can keep the run of the mill script kiddie or hacker out of your system, and that is a good thing, your information is NOT solely on computers and servers running Linux. It has been exposed to government spying for decades. In the 1960s the US and four other governments began using ECHELON to spy on phone, telegraph and other forms of electronic or electric communications as they enter or leave points along our coasts. It has gotten much worse since then. The Feds can and have coerced most if not all financial institutions to reveal financial and personal data on any person they request information for. The RSA 2048 key in Apple was cracked by an Israeli company but not by hacking passwords. YOUR bank, if you live in America, would, will and has complied instantly with all requests for law enforcement agencies for personal and financial info, without a 4th Amendment warrant. There isn't ANYTHING about you that the Feds don't already have, or could easily get, if they wanted it. And that is probably true for China, Russia, ISIS and other governments or groups that want to spy out your info.
This is what I'm asking people - who I've met:
- would you Trust a Foreign Company that:
-- doesn’t pay it's fair share of Company Taxes - in this Country?
-- that stores your Private Data - in that Foreign Country?
and - is subject to the Laws of that Foreign Country?

it's amazing - just how many:
- either don't care
- aren’t interested - not one tiny bit.

GreyGeek made a passing reference to "the US and four other governments" AKA "the Five Eyes" consortium of allied Gov'ts,
often abbreviated as "FVEY" & who share that stuff with each other, with the US & UK Gov'ts being the main two, in that agreement.

would you Trust that your use-age of your iPhone or that of your Andriod Phone?.
- is not already compromised?.
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/security/ ... phone.html
& aren't you glad that you live in Europe?.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Locked

Return to “Open chat”