A good, honest alternative to HP's ink approach

Chat about just about anything else
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

A good, honest alternative to HP's ink approach

Post by Condorman »

I'm sick and tired of home printing and HP in particular. I don't want to pay £22 and up for each cartridge. It's wasteful, costly, and ties you into being bullied around by this company. I have attempt to purchase non-branded cartridges, but they either never work or they work for a short while then deliver the usual errors that it isn't compatible. Gorget about this.

Is there any decent alternative to this, or am I as well just giving this printer the heave-ho and just using the work one? I can't tell you how angry and frustrated I am here. :evil:
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cussing removed, see forum rules

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: A good, honest alternative to HP's disgusting approach

Post by Pjotr »

Beat the system: buy a monochrome laser printer. :mrgreen:

I did so in 2007; I still use that magnificent HP Laserjet 1018.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Aaahh, that's so liberating!

Took the thing outside, and completely smashed it!

I feel so much better!

I will not be dictated to by a company, and I am sick of it telling me that it will not work, and I will NOT be buying ANYTHING with a HP badge on it EVER again! You will NOT be getting any of my money.

I heartily recommend to you, that when something doesn't work as it should, or some company laughing at you, just smash the machine! I want to do it again!
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: cussing removed, see forum rules

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Exactly; laser printer for normal documents and if you need color you can even do that with laser printers these days but you could keep an inkjet or photo printer for that specifically and print the bulk on a black & white laser printer. HP works out of the box.

Edit: I don't see how destroying something you paid for is doing any harm to the company that produced it. By your own admission, ink cartridges not made by HP don't work right. That's at least part of why those ink cartridges made by others are cheaper. In any case, for printing you're almost always cheaper with laser printers. You can print 3,000 pages or something like that on one toner cartridge.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote:Exactly; laser printer for normal documents and if you need color you can even do that with laser printers these days but you could keep an inkjet or photo printer for that specifically and print the bulk on a black & white laser printer. HP works out of the box.
I send pictures that I want to be printed in colour, to a print service.... Much cheaper and better than either a colour laser printer or a colour inkjet printer.

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

xenopeek wrote:Exactly; laser printer for normal documents and if you need color you can even do that with laser printers these days but you could keep an inkjet or photo printer for that specifically and print the bulk on a black & white laser printer. HP works out of the box.
Sorry about swearing, but I was so incredibly angry! I edited it so it wouldn't be too offensive but hey you got to do your job. :) But please, why the change in the title? I am disgusted, and it's fair comment.

Still fuming but calming down. There has to be a better solution to this, not just for Linux users but for all home computer users. Having to by cartridges at the behest of these organisations and then crossing your fingers that it will work. It's an absolute disgrace.

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Pjotr wrote:
I send pictures that I want to be printed in colour, to a print service.... Much cheaper and better than either a colour laser printer or a colour inkjet printer.
Your solutions make sense to me Pjotr. I may follow your example here.

Which one would be worth looking at for Linux that ISN'T HP?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Condorman wrote:Which one would be worth looking at for Linux that ISN'T HP?
Samsung has good Linux support nowadays as well, plus its printers are relatively cheap. Buy the cheapest monochrome laser printer that Samsung makes and you'll be fine. :)

If a Samsung printer doesn't work out of the box, this is how you should be able to get it up and running in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ngprinters

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Pjotr wrote:
Condorman wrote:Which one would be worth looking at for Linux that ISN'T HP?
Samsung has good Linux support nowadays as well, plus its printers are relatively cheap. Buy the cheapest monochrome laser printer that Samsung makes and you'll be fine. :)

If a Samsung printer doesn't work out of the box, this is how you should be able to get it up and running in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ngprinters
Thankyouthankyouthankyou! :)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: A good, honest alternative to HP's ink approach

Post by jimallyn »

I have been buying refilled cartridges for my HP printer, and never had any troubles with them. I also bought a set of aftermarket cartridges for my mother's HP printer, and so far, so good. I got them all on ebay.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim »

Pjotr wrote:Beat the system: buy a monochrome laser printer. :mrgreen:

I did so in 2007; I still use that magnificent HP Laserjet 1018.
Same here. Switched over in 1996 wih a LaserJet III. That's really the only economical solution.

To be fair, HP is not the only offender - it's ALL inkjet printers. They all adopted the Gillette sales model - give away the razor, and make them pay through the nose for replacement blades.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

Condorman wrote:Aaahh, that's so liberating!

Took the thing outside, and completely smashed it!

I feel so much better!

I will not be dictated to by a company, and I am sick of it telling me that it will not work, and I will NOT be buying ANYTHING with a HP badge on it EVER again! You will NOT be getting any of my money.

I heartily recommend to you, that when something doesn't work as it should, or some company laughing at you, just smash the machine! I want to do it again!
Nice dramatic effect and all, but bear in mind, printer ink is highly carcinogenic. I wouldn't smash any printer because you might inhale some of that dust. Best solution now is to vaporize something green that will stimulate mucous production in the bronchiae and let you cough any harmful stuff up.

Never a big fan of HP. I don't like the bloatware they install on their laptops and bundle into their printer driver installers. I am in an HP-free zone at home. At work it's a different story. People buy HP left and right. Then get socked when it comes to buy ink. People generally don't pay attention to little details like that, and I'm too far down the hierarchy to make decisions.

I took the same approach as other posters here, though. I bought a black-only, laser printer, a Brother with reviews that indicate the ink is relatively cheap. And then I set the printer to print in draft mode for most stuff. I buy ink maybe once every couple years. Not much needs to be printed these days. Maybe instructions, letters. I don't know. Not much. I almost wonder whether i needed a printer. My spouse uses it to print recipes, but then again a recipe can be put on a smart phone too.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Condorman wrote:Took the thing outside, and completely smashed it! ...
Bob Widlar was the genius who gave us analog integrated circuits. When a component would give him troubles, he would Widlarize it (as described here by Bob Pease, another analog genius):
Now, when I have finished my inspection, and I am still mad as hell because I have wasted a lot of time being fooled by a bad component – what do I do? I usually WIDLARIZE it, and it makes me feel a lot better. How do you WIDLARIZE something? You take it over to the anvil part of the vice, and you beat on it with a hammer, until it is all crunched down to tiny little pieces, so small that you don’t even have to sweep it off the floor. It makes you feel better. And you know that that component will never vex you again. That’s not a joke, because sometimes if you have a bad pot or a bad capacitor, and you just set it aside, a few months later you find it slipped back into your new circuit and is wasting your time again. When you WIDLARIZE something, that is not going to happen. And the late Bob Widlar is the guy who showed me how to do it.

Bob Pease – Troubleshooting Analog Circuits
So, may I suggest that perhaps you haven't pounded your printer into small enough pieces yet?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar_2016 »

Color printing is expensive - that is fact - no matter inkjet, laserjet, whatever.
Yes, HP color printers are expensive but are good - I mean the ink. I have experinece with color laserjet printer from Samsung - it's also expensive - 4 color toners + 1 black - an it cannot work at all even if one is not full, not even black printing.

Best approach - buy second hand refurbished HP - old stype HP Laserjet 1010, 1020, 1018, etc - they are classic - they print black only but are worthy, very cheap toner and they do accept compatible non-HP toner cassettes. For real color printing - HP inkjet or Canon inkjet.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

I quit buying the Easy-Bake Oven styled printers.
Cheap plastics with cheaper cartridges.
Pure Consumerism.
How long is a $100 printer going to last?
Cartridges print how many sheets?
Exponential cost if color.
Worthless.

I bought an HP LaserJet P2035 Printer for $200.oo USD.
Cartridges cost $100.00.
Last cartridge I bought was Sept. 29th, 2014.

But I only print maybe 100 pages / year.
Priceless.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Condorman wrote:Your solutions make sense to me Pjotr. I may follow your example here.
Which one would be worth looking at for Linux that ISN'T HP?
Pjotr's suggestions make excellent sense.
I have a Samsung B&W Laser printer - Samsung SCX 3405W - and it works fine.
The main thing for me was that I don't print much, and ink jet cartridges always dried up before they were used up. With the laser printer the ink will never dry up, and like Habitual, I expect many years of use from one cartridge.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

you could also use a Brother b&w laser printer, as well.
but using colour printers - that does get tricky,
& if you don't print that many - the ink does dry out. :o

the main issue with sending to a print service, is the low amount that you wish to print. ..
- if you have one nearby, that is.

my now defunct, Epson colour multifunction printer,
- is now only used as a scanner - as the ink dried out, again.
& at $15 ea or $50 for a set - that's an expensive colour page.
- then you don't print any more colour pages - for ages
& the ink has dried out - again, again :x

But then - buying a b&w toner cartridge for the Brother printer,
is 50% more than buying another new, Brother laser printer.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Condorman",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

First, I really love HP products because they work and work well, and they are totally compatible with Linux and Linux Mint, and have great Linux drivers. I especially love their multi-function printers. If you spend a little more on the printer, and get a printer with separate color inks and larger ink capacities, you will save money in the long run (This applies to all printers from any manufacturer).

Second, I do not like how incredibly expensive HP printer cartridges, and other printer manufacturer printer cartridges, are either.

2.a.) You can get re-manufactured ones from places like Amazon.com at pretty reasonable prices. I have had some issues with some of them, but the sellers always replaced them promptly, read the descriptions and user comments. I have used a company called "Generic" on Amazon.com with good results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_ ... 1459527701

2.b.) You can re-fill them yourself, usually you can get 3-4 refills before a cartridge wears out.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... cartridges

2.c.) There are places that will re-fill HP printer cartridges for you at very reasonable prices, like some business office supply stores, and in the US certain drug stores, like Walgreens will too.

3.) There are other printer manufacturers that have lower cost per page printing (ex: Samsung, Epson, Brother, etc...), but read their descriptions, and the Linux supported printers websites first, before purchasing them, make sure there are good Linux drivers available.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

phd21 wrote:Hi "Condorman",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

First, I really love HP products because they work and work well, and they are totally compatible with Linux and Linux Mint, and have great Linux drivers. I especially love their multi-function printers. If you spend a little more on the printer, and get a printer with separate color inks and larger ink capacities, you will save money in the long run (This applies to all printers from any manufacturer).

Second, I do not like how incredibly expensive HP printer cartridges, and other printer manufacturer printer cartridges, are either.

2.a.) You can get re-manufactured ones from places like Amazon.com at pretty reasonable prices. I have had some issues with some of them, but the sellers always replaced them promptly, read the descriptions and user comments. I have used a company called "Generic" on Amazon.com with good results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_ ... 1459527701

2.b.) You can re-fill them yourself, usually you can get 3-4 refills before a cartridge wears out.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... cartridges

2.c.) There are places that will re-fill HP printer cartridges for you at very reasonable prices, like some business office supply stores, and in the US certain drug stores, like Walgreens will too.

3.) There are other printer manufacturers that have lower cost per page printing (ex: Samsung, Epson, Brother, etc...), but read their descriptions, and the Linux supported printers websites first, before purchasing them, make sure there are good Linux drivers available.

Hope this helps ...
Hmmm...

This, as it happens, is the whole problem. It doesn't matter where I get my cartridges from - unless they are HP's own they WILL NOT WORK. I've tried a number of different brands, and yes I have bought manual refills also, the same result every time -

It will print for one or two pages, but AS SOON AS THE HP TOOLBOX IS OPENED, the printer will display an error message that the cartridge has failed. You cannot remove this error, and printing, that may have worked fine a moment ago, will not proceed until the offending item is removed and replaced with an official product. I may have had maybe one or two work over the years, but mostly the thing just sits there and is unable to be used unless I throw down big money for tiny cartridges, which won't even have the decency of completely emptying before it prompts me to buy another.

This is entirely in keeping with these types of organisations and their attempts to lock you into their product. Well, guess what? Big failure there then, because I'm now looking into alternatives and also the possibility of not even bothering with another home printer at all, and just using professional services.

I am sick and tired of the thing dictating what I can and can't use.

So I completely destroyed it, blacklisted HP, then had a nice cup of tea.

:)

Return to “Open chat”