Some reasons to avoid Windows 10

Chat about just about anything else
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Some reasons to avoid Windows 10

Post by Alexiy »

I've been browsing the Superuser today and found this problem. In short, Microsoft plans to update Win10 with a "compression store", which "compresses unused pages" in RAM instead of writing them to hard drive. They assert that it will allow to maintain more programs in RAM at a time. In practice, users of new Win10 build experience system slowdown.
Damn, I regret upgrading to Windows 10. If only I reverted it earlier. If this "feature" will come, I fear that my computer with 4 GB RAM will work even slower (I do have Xubuntu, though).

For details read the second answer.
Last edited by Alexiy on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: One more reason to avoid Windows 10

Post by Pierre »

I've been under the impression that this "feature" was always available in win-10.
ie: at the expense of slowing down some software, but saves on writing to the HDD.
& which also helps provide better responsiveness across Windows 10, supposedly ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Hands away from Windows HDD swap file! And long live for it.
Sorry, when I read some thread starters, my first wish is to laugh.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Only one?
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

Alexiy wrote:I've been browsing the Superuser today and found this problem. In short, Microsoft plans to update Win10 with a "compression store", which "compresses unused pages" in RAM instead of writing them to hard drive. They assert that it will allow to maintain more programs in RAM at a time. In practice, users of new Win10 build experience system slowdown.
Damn, I regret upgrading to Windows 10. If only I reverted it earlier. If this "feature" will come, I fear that my computer with 4 GB RAM will work even slower (I do have Xubuntu, though).

For details read the second answer.
Sounds weird, I know, but I'll guess MS will tune the compression store depending on the amount of available RAM. The hard drive is the #1 or #2 bottleneck on many systems, depending on the amount of network bandwidth, another bottleneck that competes for #1. Putting things in RAM, lightly compressed or not, spares writes on the SSD, resulting in better longevity over many years, but mainly the user does notice some speed increase. If I recall correctly, the specs for Win10 did not increase over Win7, because MS wants to include Win10 on mobiles and other gadgets. In fact, many users have more RAM than they need. So MS feels like here is this goldmine of resources going untapped.

I have Windows 10 on my machine and boot into it maybe once a month. The rest of the time, I'm in Linux Mint.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

amethyst_igor wrote:
Sounds weird, I know, but I'll guess MS will tune the compression store depending on the amount of available RAM. The hard drive is the #1 or #2 bottleneck on many systems, depending on the amount of network bandwidth, another bottleneck that competes for #1. Putting things in RAM, lightly compressed or not, spares writes on the SSD, resulting in better longevity over many years, but mainly the user does notice some speed increase. If I recall correctly, the specs for Win10 did not increase over Win7, because MS wants to include Win10 on mobiles and other gadgets. In fact, many users have more RAM than they need. So MS feels like here is this goldmine of resources going untapped.

I have Windows 10 on my machine and boot into it maybe once a month. The rest of the time, I'm in Linux Mint.
Yeah, maybe my concern is vain.
amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

Alexiy wrote:
amethyst_igor wrote:

Yeah, maybe my concern is vain.
That would describe a good many of the posts in these forums :lol:
That's what forums are for, in my opinion. Concerns, thoughts, ruminations and opinions.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Australian resellers have been inundated with service requests,
- from frustrated customers due to Windows 10 automatically installing on their PCs:
http://www.crn.com.au/news/forced-windo ... ers-419879

not everyone, it seems, wants win-10
:roll:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Pierre wrote:Australian resellers have been inundated with service requests,
- from frustrated customers due to Windows 10 automatically installing on their PCs:
http://www.crn.com.au/news/forced-windo ... ers-419879

not everyone, it seems, wants win-10
:roll:
Yeah, that's pretty shameful for Microsoft. My mother also has to deal with Win10 aggressive nag. I should install that blocker when I'll get to her computer.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The only way to guarantee avoidance of Win10 if you are running Win7 is to block all WAN access on Windows. Just let it see the IPs of other computers on your network (or the range of IPs if you're using DHCP which is often the case) and use Linux for all your Web access, which is what I'm doing now. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Alexiy wrote:My mother also has to deal with Win10 aggressive nag. I should install that blocker when I'll get to her computer.
Mine had the same problem... so we installed Mint on it and she likes it!

Her first three remarks were:
- I thought this would be more difficult to use.
- Gee, it looks pretty, doesn't it.
- Hmm, my computer seems faster now!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Alexiy wrote: Yeah, maybe my concern is vain.
Linux evangelists will make even a useful feature sound like it's another conspiracy only because it's from Microsoft. :wink:
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Moem wrote:
Alexiy wrote:My mother also has to deal with Win10 aggressive nag. I should install that blocker when I'll get to her computer.
Mine had the same problem... so we installed Mint on it and she likes it!

Her first three remarks were:
- I thought this would be more difficult to use.
- Gee, it looks pretty, doesn't it.
- Hmm, my computer seems faster now!
That's good. I'm not going to install Linux on her computer, though, because it has UEFI (I don't have much experience with it) and she has Office files used for accounting - so I'm afraid to mess the system up.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You know if this didn't adversely affect so many people it would be funny but ............. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221
Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.
Looks like some kind of dirty tricks of many "unwanted programs" distributors. Sorrow.
However, trick has a clear logic - upgrate is already sheduled! And dialogue offers a chance to change. Any "close" and "OK" leave shedule unchanged.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

z31fanatic wrote:
Alexiy wrote: Yeah, maybe my concern is vain.
Linux evangelists will make even a useful feature sound like it's another conspiracy only because it's from Microsoft. :wink:
Microsoft is not the mean megalith of the PC world that it once was - the company is on the defensive, constantly playing catchup to innovation from Apple, Android, and yes, even Linux. IBM was once the invincible Big Blue, dominating the mainframe world and hardware innovation. Then came minicomputers and workstations, dominated by DEC and Sun (neither of which now exist). Microsoft gained dominant market share of the PC software world, after shoving out ... Big Blue. Apple, too, I think has reached its peak as an innovative corporation - Microsoft was Bill Gates; Apple was Steve Jobs. They are both out of the picture. The biggest threats I see to Linux come from within - corporate invasion of the "free" software world by the likes of Canonical, Red Hat, and one-offs like Google's Android and Chrome. The systemd wars, etc., are rooted in this. Don't know how it will end up, but Microsoft is no longer the main threat to free software.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

reddot

Post by reddot »

this is old news since vista came out. ram requirements skyrocket after win7.... win10 needs more ram, hahaha, thats good ram prices should drop since we need more...

well look in wiki there is NO RECOMMENDED ram size for win10... :lol: :lol: :lol:

windows system requirements
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... s_versions
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Well, I hate the values they put in the 'minimum requirements'. 1 GHz proc. and 2 GB of RAM? What bulls**t is that? That's minimum requirements for Linux, not for Windows. My Athlon II X3 and 4 GB RAM system takes a lot of minutes to load Windows 10, and when it is finally ready, 50% of RAM is already occupied. Linux loads fast and I can have PHPstorm, Apache 2, Mysql database, Firefox running simultaneously. Windows will crawl if I try running running all that in it.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it was a 1Gb cpu & 1Gb of ram for win-6 -- 10
but try using it with those small spec's.
:lol:
now, try again with 2Gb cpu & 2Gb of ram for win6 -- 10
for even those spec's are woeful, as well.
:?
now, try it yet again, with 2Gb cpu & 4Gb of ram,
sure it now works -- but only if you don't add too much extra software,
to how it was supplied by the retailer -- like adding M$ office into the mix.
and then chrome browser, then iTunes & an A/V as well.
- now it has really slowed down
:(
that's a typical laptop, now, & they seem to complain about 'how slow it is'.
- and want ME to fix it -- sheesh
:cry:

now, I've got -- win-5,, win-7,, win-10
all running in a VB for demo puposes
:D
they all have the same 2Gb cpu,
- win_xp has 1Gb ram
- win-7 & win-10 both have 2Gb ram
and win-7 is alright - maybe,, but win-10 sure is slow.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Alexiy wrote:My Athlon II X3 and 4 GB RAM system takes a lot of minutes to load Windows 10, and when it is finally ready, 50% of RAM is already occupied.
At work I have an i7 and 4Gb of RAM. When I finish loading W7, 2Gb are occupied.

On my personal laptop, I have a core2Duo with 4Gb of RAM. LMDE2 Cinnamon takes less than 500Mb after the boot. :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Return to “Open chat”