Microsoft concerned about government snooping?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Microsoft concerned about government snooping?

Post by Destry »

https://mscorpmedia.azureedge.net/mscor ... plaint.pdf

On Thursday 14th April 2016, Brad Smith, the President and Chief Legal Officer of Microsoft, wrote a blog entitled Keeping secrecy the exception, not the rule: An issue for both consumers and businesses.

He addressed various issues central to the current debate about US surveillance and privacy:

(1) Microsoft has filed a new lawsuit in a federal court in Seattle against the United States government, in order to stand up for what it believes are its customers’ constitutional and fundamental rights; rights which help protect privacy and promote free expression. The full text of that Microsoft Complaint can be found here (pdf; 17pp).

(2) Microsoft believes that with rare exceptions, consumers and businesses have a right to know when the government accesses their emails or records.

(3) It is becoming routine for the US government to issue orders that require email providers to keep these types of legal demands secret. Microsoft believes that this goes too far. It is asking the courts to address the situation.

(4) There are times when secrecy around a government warrant is needed. This is the case, for example, when disclosure of the government’s warrant would create a real risk of harm to another individual, or when disclosure would allow people to destroy evidence and thwart an investigation.

Their whole system is designed to inform governments on all your activity! Is this a joke???
~Destry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Microsoft concerned about government snooping?

Post by MartyMint »

Sorry Microsoft, I ain't buying it.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

This kinda made me think "Hindenburg". Microsux is on it's way down.....
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

does msft maintain a presence on "K" Street?

methinks they have been facilitating electronic surveillance since,--- mostly around 95, with the advent of IE 1.0

of course America/Online was around before that -- remember the massive mailings of free install disks ? why did AOL want everyone to use their program ? or FB ?

ok ok ok / I'm preachn' the the Choir -- again -- sorry guys
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Unka Sam has his fingers in just about everything. That's yet another problem with closed-source, proprietary software: even if it's completely free of anything malicious, there is no objective, independent way to prove it.

If Debian, Fedora, or others were to produce a 100% drop-in replacement for Android, I would switch in a second. Short of that, Android and GNU+Linux are the only non-imbedded OSs I'll use.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”