[Solved] Curious

Chat about just about anything else
The Old Timer

[Solved] Curious

Post by The Old Timer »

Hey All,

Why is it on most Linux forums I visit that when a poster uses or mentions Windows OS it is always if not most of the time intentionally misspelled as "windoze".

Personally I have nothing against MS Windows I use it for MS Flight Simulator X .

When I see it used used in this manner I have to question a few things about the poster and why a deliberate misspelling of this word.
We all know that a lot of Linux users don't care for MS Windows which is why Linux users are using Linux.

The Old Timer
Last edited by The Old Timer on Mon May 30, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Chrząszczyżewoszyce, powiat Łękołody

Re: Curious

Post by BigEasy »

Saying "windoze" you are became close to "elite".
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2776
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Curious

Post by Portreve »

Because Windows sucks? :lol:

I can't wait to see the schism start between Windows users and haters. In 3... 2... 1

Maybe if Microsoft wasn't a thief like Thomas Edison was, and didn't write sloppy code... this could be a different world.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

The Old Timer

Re: Curious

Post by The Old Timer »

Portreve wrote:Because Windows sucks? :lol:

I can't wait to see the schism start between Windows users and haters. In 3... 2... 1

Maybe if Microsoft wasn't a thief like Thomas Edison was, and didn't write sloppy code... this could be a different world.
How is MS a thief when an end-user made the decision to either purchase a copy of MS Windows or made the decision to purchase a computer with MS Windows installed on it.

And before it starts I'm not a MS Windows troll.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: Curious

Post by Cosmo. »

Windoze

BTW: I don't like this (or other similar) term. Windows does not get better by using its original name. The term tells more about its author than about the subject.

pacho37
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 am

Re: Curious

Post by pacho37 »

I don't like the 'term' either - reminds me of the typical ad hominem used in so many online discussions. We don't have to like the OS and surely Windows has a number of flaws which for many people are deal-breakers (for others not), but if one feels the need to criticise an operating system it can be done in a civilised and matter-of-fact way. Similarly abbreviating Microsoft to M$ instead of MS is not a very graceful stylistic device in my opinion.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64 Bit

The Old Timer

Re: Curious

Post by The Old Timer »

I agree if one feels the need to criticise than IMO it can be done in a civilised manner.
I also believe that any OS is going to have its flaws as none are perfect.

When I was working on peoples Windows based computers most problems I saw were caused by an end-users lack of knowledge as to what was trying to be done.
I am also guilty of this with my own Linux computers and due to my own lack of knowledge of Linux have created most of my own problems that I have experienced using Linux.
Fortunately by knowing what I did I was able to work backwards and restore what I screwed up.
At no point did I feel it was the fault of the Linux OS as it worked perfectly before I decided to start making any changes.

When I was using Windows OS I never experienced any problems other than some drivers for certain hardware failed to install and that was to be expected.
In every case that was easily solved by installing a driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Again at no point did I feel it was the fault of the Windows OS being used.

Even though I don't care for the way MS is going with their OS I can say that I have never hated it as there are IMO better alternatives for myself as to what my computer needs require and Linux is it.
I do like all of the freedom to choose whatever I want in Linux and one day I may choose to roll my own Linux OS with only what I want and need to use.

User avatar
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: SE Florida, USA

Re: Curious

Post by Reorx »

The Old Timer wrote:Personally I have nothing against MS Windows I use it for MS Flight Simulator X .
Personally, I (and probably one or 2 other members here) have a lot against MS in general and Windohs in particular. Windows is bloated, malware prone, spyware masquerading as an operating system (IMO). And it is costly on several different levels.

The first version of Win that I actually liked was WinXP. I used the pants off it for years and really liked the environment. Since XP, every time that MS came up with a new version, for some reason they felt compelled to make it look different and to an annoying degree behave differently. The commonly used features of Win haven't changed much over the last 15 or so years yet with every subsequent version MS reshuffles the deck - i.e. moves where specific features are located and sometimes what they are called. Not that anything is really any different just that specific things are harder to find. What a PITA!. They then stick a new label on the (basically) SOS and the sheeple think that the "new" version is bigger and better and have to have it... please...

And with the most recent incarnation of this infamous environment, there has been a paradigm shift that I just don't care for... It used to be that the user used the OS but now the OS uses the user. And they were kind enough to let current users volunteer to be used at no (out of pocket) cost (for a limited time only of course :!: :lol: ) Which reminds me, I have to image my wife's Win7 partition (which she rarely uses these days) before MS decides to change it to Win10.

Win does have some saving graces but they are few and far between AFAIC. I think WinXP and Win7 are (still) reasonable OSs as long as you don't connect them to the internet. I have a copy of WinXP that has never been connected to the internet that I like but only use a few times a year for specific tasks that I either can't do on Linux or that I like the Win tools better that the Linux tools for a specific task. I think of Win as a (barely) necessary evil in certain specific cases. Having said that, I have no interest in owning or using any version of Win beyond WIn7 and I look forward to the day that I will be 100% MS-free.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Chrząszczyżewoszyce, powiat Łękołody

Re: Curious

Post by BigEasy »

Reorx wrote:I think WinXP and Win7 are (still) reasonable OSs as long as you don't connect them to the internet
You think? I have Win 7 connected to internet for 5 years, 9 hours per day, 5 days per week. I think it is great OS. Same OS as your.
Differences exists between users of OS.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

The Old Timer

Re: Curious

Post by The Old Timer »

Postby Reorx
Personally, I (and probably one or 2 other members here) have a lot against MS in general and Windohs in particular. Windows is bloated, malware prone, spyware masquerading as an operating system (IMP).
The Old Timer
I would say more than 1 or 2 members that hate and have a lot against MS in general and Windows in particular.
Can't argue with the fact Windows is bloated and malware prone.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Postby Reorx
The first version of Win that I actually liked was WinXP. I used the pants off it for years and really liked the environment. Since XP, every time that MS came up with a new version, for some reason they felt compelled to make it look different and to an annoying degree behave differently. The commonly used features of Win haven't changed much over the last 15 or so years yet with every subsequent version MS reshuffles the deck - i.e. moves where specific features are located and sometimes what they are called. Not that anything is really any different just that specific things are harder to find. What a PITA!. They then stick a new label on the (basically) SOS and the sheeple think that the "new" version is bigger and better and have to have it... please...
The Old Timer
Can't argue with this either and I agree.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Postby Reorx
And with the most recent incarnation of this infamous environment, there has been a paradigm shift that I just don't care for... It used to be that the user used the OS but now the OS uses the user. And they were kind enough to let current users volunteer to be used at no (out of pocket) cost (for a limited time only of course :!: :lol: ) Which reminds me, I have to image my wife's Win7 partition (which she rarely uses these days) before MS decides to change it to Win10.
The Old Timer
This is why Windows 7 is where I stopped using Windows as my daily driver and moved to Linux as my daily driver.
I did catch a couple of free copies of Windows 10 but doubt it will ever get connected to the internet again.
Don't have to image my wife's computer as it is a Linux computer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Postby Reorx
Win does have some saving graces but they are few and far between AFAIC. I think WinXP and Win7 are (still) reasonable OSs as long as you don't connect them to the internet. I have a copy of WinXP that has never been connected to the internet that I like but only use a few times a year for specific tasks that I either can't do on Linux or that I like the Win tools better that the Linux tools for a specific task. I think of Win as a (barely) necessary evil in certain specific cases. Having said that, I have no interest in owning or using any version of Win beyond WIn7 and I look forward to the day that I will be 100% MS-free.
The Old Timer
Windows Xp is hard to beat and I to have all sorts of engineering software on a desktop computer that if needed can be used I to keep it offline.
Windows 7 I use for Flight Simulator X and one day I will buy X-Plane and no longer have a need to use Widows as X-Plane does run on Linux.
As of present day I don't perform any tasks or do anything that can't be done using Linux out of the box other than what I have already mentioned above "FSX".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Old Timer writes
I guess to be fair in saying the reason that I can't hate MS Windows OS is the fact that I have never had to pay for an OS.
OSs have always been available through my job at no cost only for personal use on my own personal computers or they came installed on someone else's discarded computer which they no longer needed.

I like you analogy of MS Windows.

The Old Timer
Last edited by The Old Timer on Thu May 19, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: SE Florida, USA

Re: Curious

Post by Reorx »

BigEasy wrote:Differences exists between users of OS.
Without a doubt. And I understand that my point of view is not shared by all. That is why I use phrases like "I think", or "in my opinion", etc.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

The Old Timer

Re: Curious

Post by The Old Timer »

Reorx wrote:
BigEasy wrote:Differences exists between users of OS.
Without a doubt. And I understand that my point of view is not shared by all. That is why I use phrases like "I think", or "in my opinion", etc.
A very reasonable point of view thought out and well stated.

User avatar
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: SE Florida, USA

Re: Curious

Post by Reorx »

The Old Timer wrote:Don't have to image my wife's computer as it is a Linux computer.
Yeah, the Mrs. dual boots LM17 and Win7. She almost never uses Win7.
The Old Timer wrote:I guess to be fair in saying the reason that I can't hate MS Windows...
Yeah, I don't "hate" it either. I just have no use for it about 99.999% of the time! :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11014
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Curious

Post by Moem »

'Windoze' (or other similar terms): just a bit of childish fun. Too childish for my liking, but hey... whatever spins your beanie.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2776
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Curious

Post by Portreve »

The Old Timer wrote:How is MS a thief when an end-user made the decision to either purchase a copy of MS Windows or made the decision to purchase a computer with MS Windows installed on it.
And this has exactly what to do with what said?

Interestingly, you didn't challenge me on the Edison comment.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

The Old Timer

Re: Curious

Post by The Old Timer »

Portreve wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:How is MS a thief when an end-user made the decision to either purchase a copy of MS Windows or made the decision to purchase a computer with MS Windows installed on it.
And this has exactly what to do with what said?

Interestingly, you didn't challenge me on the Edison comment.
As far as Edison I wasn't around but I know what happened.

User avatar
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Curious

Post by samriggs »

WOW political correctness on the use of the word “windows” on linux forum, who would ever think this would ever happen?
I was at work when I read this and couldn't believe it, I showed a few others around me who use windows and know I use linux and got a good laugh over it and couldn't believe it themselves.
You know this whole political correctness thing has gotten way out of hand when......
My reason for calling it windoze.
Losing hours of pay because of system crashes at work.
Company loosing hours of money because waiting for windows to load stuff or updates etc....
Anti viruses and firewalls slowing systems down
One friend of mine fell asleep on the keyboard waiting for an update once leaving keyboard impressions on his head.
Oops maleware popping up at work on systems, “ok who looked up a site they shouldn't of”?
More time to clean the systems out again.
Dang another days wages gone because the company uses windows servers which again crashed.
Plus a lot more as your all aware of so it was rightfully dubbed for my purpose and past experience “windoze” because no other word fits better to explain my experience with it.
But political correctness over it “Really?”
That political correctness of things that we can say is getting shorter and shorter.
Should be down to one page by now. :roll:
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

The Old Timer

Re: Curious

Post by The Old Timer »

samriggs wrote:WOW political correctness on the use of the word “windows” on linux forum, who would ever think this would ever happen?
I was at work when I read this and couldn't believe it, I showed a few others around me who use windows and know I use linux and got a good laugh over it and couldn't believe it themselves.
You know this whole political correctness thing has gotten way out of hand when......
My reason for calling it windoze.
Losing hours of pay because of system crashes at work.
Company loosing hours of money because waiting for windows to load stuff or updates etc....
Anti viruses and firewalls slowing systems down
One friend of mine fell asleep on the keyboard waiting for an update once leaving keyboard impressions on his head.
Oops maleware popping up at work on systems, “ok who looked up a site they shouldn't of”?
More time to clean the systems out again.
Dang another days wages gone because the company uses windows servers which again crashed.
Plus a lot more as your all aware of so it was rightfully dubbed for my purpose and past experience “windoze” because no other word fits better to explain my experience with it.
But political correctness over it “Really?”
That political correctness of things that we can say is getting shorter and shorter.
Should be down to one page by now. :roll:
First person to show a valid reason of why they spelled Windows as “windoze” and complete with explanation.

User avatar
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:14 am

Re: Curious

Post by sphyrth »

To his own, right?
Here's why I'm staying to call it "Microsoft" and "Windows":

I don't want people *purposefully saying the word "Lienucks" or something similar. I don't usually make generalizations, but I have an instant assumption that the people who say that won't listen to you no matter what you say. And I don't like people having that kind of impression towards me.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

User avatar
Destry
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Curious

Post by Destry »

Biggest beef I have is "Microsux" that's what I call it, is out for profit! I have issues with product keys, activations, and other costs involved where I do not experience that with open source software.
I do not like being susceptible to malware in an environment where .exe files can be executed without your approval and knowledge altering the behaviour of your OS.
I also do not like 3rd party interests tracking me for advertising or surveillance.
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”