[Solved] Curious

Chat about just about anything else
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Curious

Post by Reorx »

sphyrth wrote:Should we appreciate people calling Mint a "Frankendebian" distro?
In a genre like Linux, the term "Franken-fill_in_the_blank" shows either stupidity, purist elitism, or a sense of humor. Depending on who is using it and how they are using it - you make the call... VERY FEW distros are not based on something else with some "modifications".

I would be tempted to reply to such a comment by saying that Mint is NOT FrankenDebian, it's FrankenUbuntu. Ubuntu is FrankenDebian! :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

Reorx wrote:
The first version of Win that I actually liked was WinXP. I used the pants off it for years and really liked the environment. Since XP, every time that MS came up with a new version, for some reason they felt compelled to make it look different and to an annoying degree behave differently. The commonly used features of Win haven't changed much over the last 15 or so years yet with every subsequent version MS reshuffles the deck - i.e. moves where specific features are located and sometimes what they are called. Not that anything is really any different just that specific things are harder to find. What a PITA!.
Yep, all of the above.

I was a very happy camper with XP and would have used it forever if MS would have kept releasing Service Packs :lol:
I actually like Win10, because of it I found my way to Linux Mint, an OS I like more than I liked XP :)
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

sphyrth wrote: Should we appreciate people calling Mint a "Frankendebian" distro?
I have rarely seen this term used like this. Generally it is used to say that several debian bases are mixed (stable with packages coming from testing or Sid) which is of course not advisable.

But I have rarely (never) seen someone saying that Mint is a FrankenDebian based on the fact that it's Debian + Linux Mint tools.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Rosko wrote:
Reorx wrote:
The first version of Win that I actually liked was WinXP. I used the pants off it for years and really liked the environment. Since XP, every time that MS came up with a new version, for some reason they felt compelled to make it look different and to an annoying degree behave differently. The commonly used features of Win haven't changed much over the last 15 or so years yet with every subsequent version MS reshuffles the deck - i.e. moves where specific features are located and sometimes what they are called. Not that anything is really any different just that specific things are harder to find. What a PITA!.
Yep, all of the above.

I was a very happy camper with XP and would have used it forever if MS would have kept releasing Service Packs :lol:
I actually like Win10, because of it I found my way to Linux Mint, an OS I like more than I liked XP :)
Windows XP is still hard to beat IMO. I don't know if they could have kept patching it with the needed security updates etc. We who used it became very spoiled and used to it. I got into computers late and Windows XP is what I cut my teeth on. Windows Vista / Windows 7 just never really seemed to cut it when compared to Windows XP.

We all thought and hoped Windows XP would be around forever and MS pulled it out from under us.

Never cared for Windows 8 and don't care for Windows 10.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

The Old Timer wrote:We all thought and hoped Windows XP would be around forever and MS pulled it out from under us.
That's not entirely fair. We all knew it would NOT be around forever, and it was not at all a surprise that support ended.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Moem wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:We all thought and hoped Windows XP would be around forever and MS pulled it out from under us.
That's not entirely fair. We all knew it would NOT be around forever, and it was not at all a surprise that support ended.
This was only said in passing "We all thought" Yes we all knew the demise of Windows XP.

Example:
We all thought it would be nice to go to the lake today.
not_Daniel

Post by not_Daniel »

Reorx wrote:Ubuntu is FrankenDebian!
Isn't there an old gag saying "Ubuntu" is actually South-African for "Can't install Debian"?
JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JusTertii »

not_Daniel wrote:
Reorx wrote:Ubuntu is FrankenDebian!
Isn't there an old gag saying "Ubuntu" is actually South-African for "Can't install Debian"?
Exactly. It's for all us country hicks that couldn't tell the difference between /usr and /sys. We may not know how to compile from source, nor give any fox to learn to do so. But we do know it's a darn near varmint proof, and we don't have to worry about them blasted city computer diseases out'a this way.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Wow!
Heavy Man!
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

Moem wrote:
The surprise to me was that MS supported it as long as they did.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Rosko wrote:
Moem wrote:
The surprise to me was that MS supported it as long as they did.
Exactly why (let me state this properly) I Thought it would be around forever.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

I don't know about you, Old-Timer, but I don't care for M$'s lackadaisical attitude about users of it's beholden Operating System which they change at the drop of a hat, and expect everyone that wants to be able to use it, to adapt to using it in whatever way they have it arranged, instead of it becoming easier to use by maintaining at least the status quo, which they refused to do. Instead, they use dirty, underhanded tricks to force people to 'upgrade' to the new prisoner status,(from Win7 or 8, 8.1 to winten) I say prisoner because with winten, they watch everything you do. You may not be physically imprisoned, but you, yourself cannot change anything about this status. You can offer to give them money of course, and that would make them undoubtedly very happy, but they can just watch your habits and take it from you anyway with or without your help. Isn't that scarey? Is 1984 here?
I know that I'm greatly relieved that I can use Linux at least in some small degree now without having to watch my back constantly if I were using winten. I'm not a fan of any corporation or it's practices of running ramshod over it's very consumers in order to insure it's profit from them. Just to give all of you some idea just exactly what M$ has been up to lately, and this. I just wish I could get it entirely out of my house!
Just calling in 'windoze' isn't nearly enough to show how I feel about this horrible excuse for an operating system.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
whiteEagle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whiteEagle »

Actually "we" didn't! I never liked Windows XP though I did appreciate the inclusion of device drivers.

I guess I am the "real" old-timer, as I started with Windows 3.1x, which was DOS with a gui (borrowed from a Xerox demo called Visi On)

I cut my teeth on Windows NT 4.0 (after a brief stint with NT 3.5) (Loved it!), and when Windows 95 debuted, I shunned it for OS/2 Warp. Windows 95 was DOS 6.22 with a newly-designed gui which was later adapted for Windows XP Windows XP was Windows NT with the 95 gui

I was an early adopter of Windows 2000 (again, NT 4.0 with device drivers), so when they added the 95 gui, Windows XP became very popular Windows XP also included a vast array of device drivers which were the bane of Windows NT (you always had to seek a video or network driver)

I run Windows 7 in a virtual machine (and support Windows Server 2008 in another) (both very stable Windows versions)

So, anyway, I started experimenting with Linux (more distros than I care to remember) but settled on Linux Mint Maya in 2012 I've been using Linux Mint Cinnamon exclusively since the summer of 2012 and look forward to the next updates (love the "rolling release" concept)

Windows 8, and now Windows 10, are HUGE disappointments to me, and I'm glad to see they've caused more users to try Linux Mint.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Personally I dislike the direction that MS has taken with Windows OS after Windows XP and I wasn't a big fan of Windows Vista / Windows 7 etc. Every time an end-user enters into the world online there will always be information leaching of what an end-user is doing. Apple / Google / Microsoft and everyone else that is cloud base.
I sure don't agree with it but unfortunately the only way to stop it is to disconnect from the WWW and then stay disconnected. Myself I have nothing to hide as my rich Uncle Sam already knows more about me than I know about me so what is to hide.
Be careful what you put out over the WWW as all OS and websites regardless of what they preach will always be information leaching of what an end-user is doing.

Most corporations and big business use dirty, underhanded tricks. [It's the way the world is]
They watch everything you do. [So does the government]
You may not be physically imprisoned, but you, yourself cannot change anything about this status.[Sure you can stop using it]
They can just watch your habits and take it from you anyway with or without your help. [Yes they can and they are]
Isn't that scary? [Yes it is scary]
Is 1984 here? [Yes Big Brother is here]

I don't hate MS as they have never done anything to me personally. To be fair I have never had to pay for any Windows OS as they have always been available from my employer for my personal use on my personal computers. When using MS Windows I never experienced any problems other than driver issues for hardware which was easily solved. Can't complain as I decided to use it and still use it for "Flight Simulator X" my only real complaint with Linux is no decent Flight Simulator.

I don't let it get to me as it is just an OS and all OSs / websites / browsers retrieve information and whatever I don't care what anyone preaches it has been this way for years and isn't going to get any better.

And NO I'm not a MS TROLL just a REALIST.
whiteEagle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whiteEagle »

by the way . . .

I run Windows 7 in VirtualBox on my Cinnamon laptop with no antiviral or malware software. I also do not apply Windows updates beyond SP1 My use of Windows is on an "as needed" basis, such as using GoToWebinar or testing some Windows-specific software. I severely limit my use.

We also run Windows Server 2008R2 in VMware on an HP Proliant Server with no antiviral or malware software. We scan the e-mail of 7 users and the server discs about once a month with ClamAV running from my Ubuntu 14.04 mail server. We never have a virus or malware problem.

That's not to say there are never any viruses, as there are, but my users are trained in how not to open questionable attachments, etc.

Also, my aversion to Microsoft Windows stems from the fact they've "borrowed" intellectual property over the years, charged a hefty price for their products and returned little to the software community. They've also tried to embrace, extend and extinguish everywhere they can using FUD

I much prefer open source computing and shun Microsoft everywhere I can. I do not, and cannot, trust Microsoft! though I too am a realist.
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

Amii_Leigh wrote:...Just to give all of you some idea just exactly what M$ has been up to lately, and this....
Read the comments on those articles. Even Windows 10 Lovers loathed what Microsoft is doing to its users with those Upgrade Nags. Much like what Canonical did to its Ubuntu users, only far, far, far worse (and yeah, that's a very heavy understatement).
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

The Old Timer wrote:Every time an end-user enters into the world online there will always be information leaching of what an end-user is doing. Apple / Google / Microsoft and everyone else that is cloud base.
I sure don't agree with it but unfortunately the only way to stop it is to disconnect from the WWW and then stay disconnected.
Well, it's not as if we can't make choices that affect who gets our data, and which/how much they're getting. Personally, I avoid all things Google, Facebook, and Apple, anything cloudbased, and now Microsoft too. I'm convinced that it makes a difference.
The Old Timer wrote:Myself I have nothing to hide as my rich Uncle Sam already knows more about me than I know about me so what is to hide.
Funny how many people say that, and still close the door when they go to the loo. :wink: We all have something to hide. And that is a basic human right.
But to me, a big part of the problem is foreign governments, like your rich uncle Sam, spying on me. They operate under different laws, they should keep their grubby paws off my data, I'm no citizen of theirs.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

I love this guy, and I love this talk.
https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwa ... cy_matters
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

That is indeed a great talk. I wonder why I have to allow Google Analytics to execute javascript in order to watch it though... :?

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

killer de bug wrote:I love this guy, and I love this talk.
https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwa ... cy_matters
Great TED Talk!... the follow up by Mikko Hypponen is very good as well! :mrgreen:

Favorite quotes >
(@ 1:37) "George Orwell was an optomist!"
- and -
(@ 18:20) "...The solution is open source..."
Last edited by Reorx on Sat May 28, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image

Return to “Open chat”