Tea - questing for a good cup

Chat about just about anything else
astroannie
Level 2
Level 2

Tea - questing for a good cup

Post by astroannie »

So, I'm in Texas and I don't like coffee so I drink tea hot or iced. I'm ready to progress to buying the basic tea and steeping it instead of buying bags of tea leaf dust. I figure if it's dust, it's probably suboptimal or a byproduct.

Anyone have any tips/advice/etc. for me on this adventure? Like, what's the best steeping device? Where's the best place to get good advice about how to go about this (the Internet is huge, folks and ...)?

Any and all help appreciated.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Tea - questing for a good cup

Post by Moem »

I like this device:
theeknijper.jpg
As for teas, what do you like? Earthy, smokey, flowery... fruity perhaps?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

astroannie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by astroannie »

That's a good question. Maybe I should look for a sampler.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "astroannie",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You can check "Amazon.com" for "Tea" and "brew tea", and read the many customer reviews.

And, believe it or not, there are some "tea timers" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have two infusers - a jobber-do like what Moem suggested and a basket thingy designed to fit inside a cup or teapot. I use both, but I prefer the basket because it is easier to clean and it holds enough tea to make a full pot.

When I lived in the D-FW area Teavana was one of my guilty pleasures. I think they have expanded to most of the larger cities in Texas. It is worth a look-see. Be prepared to pay boutique prices, and if you are a sucker for impulse purchases I suggest taking a sane person with you.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

Astroannie;

My daughter is into tea. There is a mall close to home that has a store called "Teavana" that specializes in all things tea. If you have never been to one, you might consider a visit... Their website can be found HERE. In the upper right corner, there is a store locator... They have 18 stores in TX (Arlington, Austin, Dallas (2), Friendswood, Frisco, Ft. Worth, Huston (3), Humble, Hurst, Katy, McAllen, Plano, San Antonio (2), & Woodlands) - mostly in malls.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

P.S.: This is the one that gets the most use at mi casa >>>

Last edited by Reorx on Fri May 27, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

not_Daniel

Post by not_Daniel »

astroannie wrote:So, I'm in Texas and I don't like coffee so I drink tea hot or iced. I'm ready to progress to buying the basic tea and steeping it instead of buying bags of tea leaf dust. I figure if it's dust, it's probably suboptimal or a byproduct.

Anyone have any tips/advice/etc. for me on this adventure? Like, what's the best steeping device? Where's the best place to get good advice about how to go about this (the Internet is huge, folks and ...)?

Any and all help appreciated.
Your figure is optimal. #notAPun
You want full loose-leaf teas and many good varieties are often imported. I usually order from Adagio, they've been offering teas for a long time and I've been mostly pleased with their selection as it easily beats any typical store bag variety. You can get some of the highest antioxidant benefits possible from white tea which surpasses green. I usually drink Irish Breakfast and Ginger with a small amount of honey. They also offer large infusers -- which is what you want for steeping loose-leaf tea over teabags and teaballs.

Btw, if you decide to order from there, PM me for a coupon code, I think there might be $5-$10 available.
Last edited by not_Daniel on Fri May 27, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

I bought one of these at a thrift store for less than $1.00 and it appears to be stainless steel and works with my 1950s old metal coffee pot very well.

I try a lot of different tea but OEM standard tea is awfully hard to beat.
Sometimes a full shot of Wild Turkey 101 in my tea after 5pm / 6 pm evenings.

http://www.amazon.com/Acorn-Stainless-S ... B00HRHE730

more tea links.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/tea- ... ryone.html

this one might be entertaining.
http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_ ... uette.html
Last edited by The Old Timer on Fri May 27, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "astroannie",

Been reading the good replies ...

Obviously, going to a store that specializes in fine Tea would be best, because you can try them before you buy them, and get expert advice on brewing them.

But, in case you do not have a local store, you can also use on-line options as well.

Here are examples of "Best Tea Samplers" from Amazon.com. I recommend reading the descriptions and the customer reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ea+sampler

"Best Tea Brewers"
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ting%2C361

These Look Interesting. There are various manufacturers:

UEndure Tea Infuser, Tumbler Style Travel Mug with Loose Leaf Tea Strainer, Tea Cup with Stainless Steel Steeper, Portable Teapot with Mesh Filter Basket, Glass Water Bottle for Ice Tea and Essential Oils - Best Tea Infuser for Green Tea. $26.95
http://www.amazon.com/UEndure-Strainer- ... tea+brewer

Pijio Tea Infuser (Loose), Fruit Infusion, Cold Brew Coffee Maker, Infused Borosilicate Glass Bottle Mug. Best Travel Sports Water Bottle with Neoprene Sleeve, BPA Free (500ml 17oz) - see the buy together with Tea sampler option.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017Y06AOI/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps ...
Tea_Infuser
Tea_Infuser
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

astroannie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by astroannie »

Wow! Thank you all!

Both Teavana and Adagio are on EBates so I get cash back to shop there. I will check them both out.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

astroannie wrote:Wow! Thank you all!

Both Teavana and Adagio are on EBates so I get cash back to shop there. I will check them both out.
It isn't clear if you plan on shopping on-line or in person. I would suggest that the "in person" experience can not be duplicated on-line... I think you owe it to yourself to walk in (if geographically possible) to the store. The olfactory experience alone is worth the trip! :mrgreen:

Image Image

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

Bit spoilt for choice here in the UK. You can get decent tea from tea bags, buy a reputable/upmarket brand. Looking in my cupboard, it's Twining's Assam. Like lapsang souchong occasionally. The purists would say want decent tea, buy a teapot and loose leaf.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I agree that making tasty tea from bags is possible if the bags are of sufficient quality, and Twinings makes decent tea in bags... but it's not unthinkable that the version they ship to the US could be different in quality.

I like Yorkshire, as well. I have a big tin box of Gold sitting next to my Teasmade, for special occasions. I feel a special occasion coming up... :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

astroannie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by astroannie »

Reorx wrote:

It isn't clear if you plan on shopping on-line or in person. I would suggest that the "in person" experience can not be duplicated on-line... I think you owe it to yourself to walk in (if geographically possible) to the store. The olfactory experience alone is worth the trip! :mrgreen:
I plan both. There is a Teavana at the mall near me. But I don't intend to run to the mall on a regular basis. I'm driving impaired and so going to the mall can be problematic. This is a long weekend...we shall see if astroandy can take me.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Once you know what you like, online shopping is a very practical way to get it into your paws.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

in the pantry, there is currently a box of 'Lipton Quality Black Tea'.
- packed in the UAE by Unilever :(
but that's quite typical of the local supermarket.

if you were a real tea connoisseur, you would't buy that .. ..
- I'd still prefer that to coffee, though.
== Nescafe - again, from the local supermarket.

a real coffee would have to come from Dome -- local version of Starbucks,
which, fortunately doesn't exist here.
:)

anyway Moem - got one of those things in the kitchen drawer. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

astroannie wrote:
Reorx wrote:

I plan both. There is a Teavana at the mall near me. But I don't intend to run to the mall on a regular basis. I'm driving impaired and so going to the mall can be problematic. This is a long weekend...we shall see if astroandy can take me.
I think the first time it is advisable to plan a reconnaissance mission to a local store in order to discover what you like and to put "hands on" various items. Once you know the "lay of the land", online ordering is much more convenient. And the long weekend is the perfect opportunity for a recon mission. If possible report back with your "findings"...

...and OBTW, I think you will be surprised how "Linuxy" the store is - You will encounter Mint tea, Cinnamon tea, and Mate tea... :lol:

Enjoy the trip!

Image Image

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

If you're anywhere near Austin, this may interest you . . .

https://www.naturalgrocers.com/nutritio ... taste-tea/

astroannie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by astroannie »

OMG. I am not going back. They had samples...I only tried the "cherry limeade" which sounded interesting.

It reminded me of cough syrup, it was so sickeningly sweet. The card said it was "lightly sweetened" or I wouldn't have tried it. I"m glad I'm not diabetic.

The store was itty-bitty and crowded so I couldn't interact with staff unless I was willing to hang out a good long while.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

Annie;

Sorry for your bad luck! Well, on the bright side, it was a learning experience. You have found at least 1 tea that you shouldn't waste your time ordering on-line... but did you find anything you liked? They have a wide variety of teas in-store - surely there was something that would tickle your fancy! Perhaps returning at noon on a week day when the store is (far) less crowded might be a better idea?

Image Image

Return to “Open chat”