Windows vs LInux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
teak

Windows vs LInux

Post by teak »

Windows has some advantages over Linux. 1. Windows is easier to use. Being a Linux techie is fun, but many of us have other things to do. Downloading from the computer/flashdrive or other wise in windows is easy. Not everything is in the Repository of 14,000 + items. As a suggestion, making downloading, adding drivers, installing hardware should be brain surgery.

But we do love and have a passion for LInux. We don't regret leaving microsoft one bit. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Windows vs LInux

Post by Cosmo. »

teak wrote:Windows is easier to use.
Really? For those, who have never used anything than Windows this is surely true. But that is true for anything, what you are used to use for some years. I feel more comfortable with Linux.
teak wrote:Not everything is in the Repository of 14,000 + items.
I have never seen a Windows repository.

Summed up: 2:0 for Mint.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

teak wrote:Windows is easier to use.
How so? My mother disagrees: she finds Linux as easy to use as Windows. She has all the software she needs, so she does not need to install anything else.

I would argue that it's a very personal matter, and depends entirely on what kind of user one is, and what one uses the computer for. For many of us, Linux is actually easier.
As a suggestion, making downloading, adding drivers, installing hardware should be brain surgery.
You think that it needs to be harder?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dr G

Post by Dr G »

The only thing I've found easier in Windows is picking up malware. :lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, here's one thing that's easier about Windows: it's easier to use it in a business environment where everyone else uses Windows, and Windows-based software. And maybe it's easier if you want to play specific games? But that's the only thing I can think of: running specific Windows-software. Well, duh. :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

I like repeating this:
Windows is familiar != Windows is easy

Take Mint and Ubuntu's DEs, for example. I might be able to argue that Unity is easier than Cinnamon, but I prefer the latter because I'm more familiar with it.

But yeah. We're glad to be out of the monopoly. Let me share what I personally call it: MalwareSpy Winbloat 10 eXPired
deleted

Post by deleted »

Moem wrote:Well, here's one thing that's easier about Windows: it's easier to use it in a business environment where everyone else uses Windows, and Windows-based software. And maybe it's easier if you want to play specific games? But that's the only thing I can think of: running specific Windows-software. Well, duh. :roll:
No quite so. Only when I started developing Windows applications [instead of Java-based applications] was I required to use Windows in my Windows-centric company. LibreOffice, Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird got along just fine.
-H
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

"Windows is easier to use."

THis is what is known as the proverbial red herring :lol:
deleted

Post by deleted »

^ By someone who has not used Win8 or Win10 ;)
-H
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

Windows easier to use ? Oh yes I remember searching around for drivers, installing adware by accident, endless bsods on windows 10, not being able to easily find my programs on the windows 10 menu. Having settings in two different places. Not being able to turn off cortana or edge. Yes its a great system windows 10. If they had spent as much time getting the damn thing to work as spying on me, then I might be impressed. :evil:
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Windows xp (Pro) - Used this for years and found it easy to use, not much of a learning curve but must point out already had years of experience with previous Windows OSs (and DOS).

Win7 (Ultimate) - Bit of a learning curve from xp but much better once I'd gotten used to it; file management much improved. Would say this was the best M$ OS to date. Very stable, even if Firefox wasn't. :roll:

Win8.1 - what a horrible experience. Nothing familiar, non untuitive and had to install 3rd party software just to get the start menu back. Where's the vomit smiley?

Win10 - brief foray and quickly got rid of it. For many, many reasons. I advise very strongly against installing this Orwellian-based* bloatware. On Anything. Ever.

Linux Mint Cinnamon - very easy to pick up right from the start. Never used Linux before that. Much easier to install programs than Windows (any edition).

Linux Mint KDE - Likewise (for me) and really easy to customize everything the way I want it.

Linux Mint Xfce - Same. Great performer on less capable hardware, really intuitive and easy to use.

Haven't really tried MATE yet so not in a position to assess it.

Summary:
Linux has generally been much easier to use and more intuitive, once I'd turned OFF double-clicking (as I did with Windows OSs), which in itself isn't intuitive, especially on a desktop with no "file" menu!!

*Big Brother is watching you!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Win10 is crappy software from the same crappy software house that made 8 and 8.1
I installed it on my laptop over win7 (great OS) and I feel sorry I did it. I will get 7 back, that's for sure. I do need it from time to time when I do something for the office at home.
Somehow, and I have no idea how, I managed on 2 different laptops to make the start menu not appear when clicking the start button. Also when using the auto-hide taskbar it doesn't hide but open programs think it is hidden, so they are behind the taskbar making them impossible to use.
Win 10 delivers Defender as a safety program. Bad software. It should be able to find viruses and spyware but can't even find Win10 itself, which is the biggest spyware in the world.
No, I am a happy Linux user for 8 years now and I will never change again. Inspired my wife a year and a half ago to use it as well and also she is happy. This weekend, after a trial run on my laptop, I installed Linux on my neighbourette's laptop and also she is happy.
And so, one by one, we will conquer this world.
teak

Post by teak »

No doubt Windows is crap. I guess it is what a person is used to. My new computer may make everything better. Now I have an Dell and I had a HP and they both sucked. I am going back to bare bones. I must learn about device managers and stuff. MAybe there are instruction videos. I am also seeking Linux Command understanding.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

BG405 wrote:*Big Brother is watching you!
Yeah Windows being spyware is a pretty big turn off for me.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Hmmm, I find Linux easier to use than Windows, and everybody that I have got to switch to Linux finds it easier than Windows. But, different strokes for different folks, I guess.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I have used OSX, all the versions of Windows and Linux Mint/cinnamon. In terms of ease of use, my opinion is Linux>OSX>Windows.
Linux and OSX are very nice computing platforms, Windows is a minefield of hazards and should only ever be used by an expert, it is completely inappropriate for a casual, non-technical user.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

InkKnife wrote:Windows is a minefield of hazards and should only ever be used by an expert, it is completely inappropriate for a casual, non-technical user.
True, but the Metro interface itself is in my opinion only suitable for casual, non-technical users. I thought Blister was bad .. "Your PC .. Fisher-Priced"* but 8, 8.1, 10 are the icing on the cake for a software house who wants to hold everyones' hand and keep those scary configurations hidden, or inaccessible.

*Fisher Price being a maker of toys for the pre-school age group, in case they're not known elsewhere.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

I don't like the fact you can't uninstall the creepy cortana on windows 10, or the automatic updates, or edge browser or some of the apps. Talk about bloatware - you have almost no control over windows 10.

I'm having almost a bsod a day on my skylake rig on windows 10 - the same system dual booted on linux mint never crashes. Most of these problems are nvidia related - but microsoft supposedly validated the drivers for release. Windows 10 does not strike me as a stable OS - its more like windows 98. One BSOD and the whole thing goes down. Just to find programs I had to install classic shell, and it still looks ugly. I like the fact on mint you can choose between flat or classic xp type themes.

I don't trust the user agreement as regards privacy, and so my windows 10 partition is for stereoscopic gaming only now. Its a shame nvidia didn't write stereoscopic drivers for linux or I could ditch windows 10 completely.
digital-gain

Post by digital-gain »

Cosmo. wrote: I have never seen a Windows repository.
Sorry, I couldn't resist :)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _16s06.jpg
noelw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noelw »

What is Windows ?

Return to “Open Chat”