NSA classifies linux journal readers tor and tails linux users as "extremists"

Chat about just about anything else
Greenbike
Level 1
Level 1

NSA classifies linux journal readers tor and tails linux users as "extremists"

Post by Greenbike »

I was wondering what people thought of this...

"Are you a Linux Journal reader or use software such as Tor and Tails Linux? If so, you've probably been flagged as an "extremist" by the NSA. Leaked documents ... reveal that the agency is targeting anyone who is interested in online privacy, specifically those who use the aforementioned software and visit the Linux user community website."

http://www.in.techspot.com/news/securit ... 743699.cms
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: NSA classifies linux journal readers tor and tails linux users as "extremists"

Post by jimallyn »

I believe that the U.S. government will collect every bit of information they can about every human being on the planet. It's illegal, but they don't care, and there's hardly anybody in "our" current government that will take any action to hold them responsible. I also believe that two of the three U.S. presidential candidates will make this situation worse.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Re: NSA classifies linux journal readers tor and tails linux users as "extremists"

Post by Chiefahol »

Extreme!! *Wails on air guitar*

:mrgreen:
Donate to your favourite distros!
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

Humm,

I find Linux Journal to be pretty tame. I first started reading it via ACM (http://www.acm.org), which offers a subscription to members. As I see it, any journal or magazine offered by ACM is, by association, legitimate reading material for computer scientists.

On privacy, folks often interpret privacy concerns as the paranoia of miscreants. If you don't want to say it on Facebook, then you must be doing something bad. But... ask a parent how they feel about having a conversation that their 6 year old has with their doll recorded, analysed, and stored permanently in a toy manufacturer's database. If they are OK with that (they clicked accept when the doll was activated), then how do they feel about having that data shared with 3rd parties? (As twisted as it sounds, this is actually happening... today.)

It's not that privacy advocates fear Amazon, Facebook, Google, MS, NSA, etc. as organizations (although some do). The trouble is, how much do we trust the least ethical persons within these organizations or their partner organizations. Often people who are suspicious of privacy advocates ironically don't like the idea of Snowden having had access to their data. Any reasonable, objective person will agree that they don't like the idea of transaction-oriented creeps monitoring their lives and habits, even if the riskiest thing they do is play shuffleboard.
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

trapperjohn wrote: It's not that privacy advocates fear Amazon, Facebook, Google, MS, NSA, etc. as organizations (although some do). The trouble is, how much do we trust the least ethical persons within these organizations or their partner organizations.
That's one of the problems, for sure. And for many of us, another problem is that these organizations operate under a foreign government that is entirely outside of our control.

Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Apple are businesses. I have no inherent reason to trust any of them. They're in it to make money, as businesses do; they have no obligation or incentive to care about my wellbeing. And the government they operate under doesn't care either, since I'm not one of their citizens. I deeply distrust the whole lot of them.

And an extra problem with Google is that they have so many different kinds of information from different sources, making it possible for them to build up a very detailed profile. No one needs to have that much information about me, certainly not a business, and a foreign one at that. Even if they themselves do not misuse* my data, who says it won't get stolen or handed on to the US government?

*and we would need to define that word, too

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you were to use a laptop in a public wifi hotspot and used a VPN because you wanted to do something that would access your bank account e.g. (which I would consider basic security you'd be nuts not to do), NSA et al types would consider that grounds to suspect you of terrorism.

So why the frak should this be a surprise?
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

They think they can list me?! I will list them!

People who are probably spying on us:

1) The NSA

There we go, i just did it, i just listed them back so hard. Don't worry guys, we're all safe now. :mrgreen:
Donate to your favourite distros!
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

The very first time I heard of Tor, the very first thought that came to my mind was "What a perfect way for THEM to identify/track anyone that is concerned with their own privacy enough to attempt to mask/hide their tracks!" Same goes for VPN's too; Do you really think that they CAN'T track your VPN ?

Was I right ?
TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime »

I believe that the U.S. government will collect every bit of information they can about every human being on the planet.
In the 1980s it came to light via the Freedom of Information Act that the Federal Gestapo (IRS) shared your personal information with about 15-20 foreign countries. I remember Singapore being one of the countries. Some brain-dead scummy tax lawyer, when questioned on talk radio, blurted out that it didn't matter because the gov't can share your personal information with anyone so stop crying about it. There isn't a corner of hell cold enough for scumbags like him.

The Gestapo claimed happily that if there was a nuclear war, they would be collecting taxes within 30 days. :shock: I kid you not. I remember the press release. Then a few of us started putting it all together. They weren't "sharing" data with Singapore, et.al., they were hoarding data all over the world so they could recall all of the lost data due to DC being reduced to glass and start kicking down doors, stealing property, and violating rights within 30 days of a nuclear exchange.

Nothing has changed. They have your privacy scattered all over the world because they believe your property and your rights are less than secondary to them collecting taxes. To the gov't, since the 16th amendment was ratified after the Bill of Rights, taxes come first.
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Humans trying to play God yet once again, same old story and same old scenario that played out all through history, nothing new here except in the last 100 years they can do it a lot easier through technology and as usual it's for the almighty buck and power.
You get a group of humans together and this always happens.
For some strange reason humans have trouble just being human.
This is what happens when you give someone a wee bit of knowledge
Obama uses ubuntu he admitted to it so he is an extremist also I guess :roll:
nasa spacestation usues linux I guess nasa is on that list also :lol:
the animals must be shaking their heads wondering what's wrong with us all
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Greenbike wrote:I was wondering what people thought of this...
Seeing as you linked to a 2 year old article you can already find online (also on our forum) what people thought of it at the time.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

samriggs wrote: Obama uses ubuntu he admitted to it so he is an extremist also I guess :roll:
Wait... he does what? :shock:
That's fascinating if so. The closest I could find online is where his campain IT team (in '08 IIRC) used Ubuntu.
nasa spacestation usues linux I guess nasa is on that list also :lol: l
Yup! Debian Stable on the ISS.
(I'm a space nut if it's not obvious.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Hey Fred
Yup his campaign team used it and I read somewhere that he used it to for some things although for the life of me I can't find it now, I tried to find the link for you, maybe it was during his campaign times I can't remember now it was awhile ago.
If you want to find more check this out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

Looks like the whole planet is extremist now and on that special list :lol:

For those who always wanted to be a somebody get linux and join a linux group and download it through tor, you get on the special list and be a somebody :lol:
I think the folks that aren't on that special list is a lot smaller then those that are on it, so maybe you won't be so special after all :lol:

Everyone uses it nowadays in one format or another and most don't even know it just like tons of stuff uses java and most don't have a clue what they are.
You breathe wrong nowadays and they shove you on the list, no biggy they're just playing God like humankind has done all through history, ain't the first time, won't be the last time.
There is usually two outcomes for this nonsense, dictatorship with the illusion of freedom or folks get tired of it and change, then it just starts all over again :roll:

Meanwhile us small potatoes just keep chugging along hoping for a small portion of happiness without all the nonsense other folks create :D

Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

jimallyn wrote:I believe that the U.S. government will collect every bit of information they can about every human being on the planet. It's illegal, but they don't care, and there's hardly anybody in "our" current government that will take any action to hold them responsible. I also believe that two of the three U.S. presidential candidates will make this situation worse.
Suggested Reading: Astro Noise ( Laura Poitras ) .

check for it on Amazon
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open chat”