Win 10 Anniversary update

Chat about just about anything else
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Win 10 Anniversary update

Post by darco »

I was reading some horror stories already about this update for dual boot linux machines....since the update is unavoidable I was a little nervous.
Having to install LMDE on UEFI was a chore in itself so I was thinking the worse with this update...
Surprisingly all went smooth and it took less than 15 mins!
good luck to all

d
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Win 10 Anniversary update

Post by Pierre »

that's a little different to some stories that abound,
- large download < again >
- several re-boots ( same as v1511 was )

will update this laptop, sometime this month,
when a better 'net connection is available .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime »

I had a Win7/Mint 17.3 dual boot and when I "upgraded" to Win10, goodbye dual boot. Win10 was also screwed up - big time. I spoke with MS tech support and they said to reinstall Win7 then upgrade to Win10 again. :roll: I did that and then setup the Mint dual boot. All went well. It's a good thing the Mint partition was fairly new and just a sort of test at that point.

Maybe MS fixed the problem in a later Win10 download/update. All I know is that the original update to Win10 destroyed my dual boot and Win10 was unusable anyway.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly is screwed up by this update?

There are lots of horror stories around on the web about the effects on dual boot systems, "It has deleted my Linux partition", or "It has screwed up GRUB2", or "It has overwritten the MBR". Some say it's OK with a UEFI system some say it's not!

I have an old MBR laptop dual booting with Windows 10 Pro and Mint Cinnamon 17.3 and have for now told Windows to defer the upgrade but I guess at some point I will have to allow it. I need Windows occasionally for programs that are not available for Linux so need to keep it going but before allowing the update I would like to understand how to repair the damage it does to my system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 18.3
Desktop: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce 210, AMD Phenom II Quad Core Processor 3GHz, 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD. Mint Cinnamon 18.2
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

this machine is now running win-10-AV and there was no serious issues.
but, as always, YMMV when dealing with That Operating System.

it's mainly to know something about win-10, was the principle reason to even install it,
as I've been asked by several people, who had issues when running it.
so I'd figured, that I'd better know something about it :lol:

even after using it for around Fourteen Months, I'd still not recommend it to anyone.
:o

so russellz, just go ahead with the update, if you do have access to a decent 'net connection.
- see what happens, if anything, and post back here,
should you need any help - - it doesn't seem to write to the MBR or anything crazy,
and so you should be alright. :|
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
shuphi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shuphi »

The anniversary update most likely will destroy your linux partitions, if you're lucky, swap will still be there, after all.

Has anyone ever heard of something like an "update" that's messing with your partitions? They should name it "system replacement" and mark it with a full screen warning in the first place. It's a disgrace.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

shuphi wrote: It's a disgrace.
That's putting it mildly
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.

Return to “Open chat”