Software that you would like to have for Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by AZgl1800 »

If,

TurboTax would support Linux, my Gateway Desktop would suddenly turn green.
But until that time happens, it will stay Win7 to dooms day. :cry:

Don't mention the Cloud version of TurboTax, ain't going to happen.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:04 am If,

TurboTax would support Linux
This may not be up to your needs but to let others know it's available http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/index.html.

As for TurboTax, have you let them know you desire a Linux desktop version?
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

I would love to be able to run Android apps natively on linux, i.e. no VM or emulator. So much stuff comes as a mobile app only these days and I hate fiddling with a phone or tablet when it could be right on my desktop.
Mroptonix

Post by Mroptonix »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:44 am
Mroptonix wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 am OneNote or a software for note taking with online sync
This already exists: Next Notes app on Nextcloud.

"Nextcloud is an open source, self-hosted file share and communication platform. Access & sync your files, contacts, calendars & communicate and collaborate across your devices. You decide what happens with your data, where it is and who can access it." To learn more see: https://nextcloud.com/. It runs on your own server and you can access it through web, their desktop client and their iOS and Android apps. You could run it on a RaspberryPi at home for cheap or for a few bucks per month host it on a virtual server like https://www.vultr.com/ or DigitalOcean.

I have found nixnote that is the Linux version of Evernote, but it has not the same functionality and needs to develop to be better.
http://nixnote.org/NixNote-Home/
Last edited by Mroptonix on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mroptonix

Post by Mroptonix »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:16 am
Mroptonix wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 am 2.a software to transfer data with wifi with high speed! (to another pc and mobile) such as share it
Between PCs you can use NitroShare (available for Linux, macOS, Windows). NitroShare also has integration for several file managers, like Nemo (Cinnamon) and Caja (MATE). Install it through Software Manager on Linux Mint. For other OSes download from https://nitroshare.net/.

NitroShare also have an Android app https://nitroshare.net/android/. They are working on an iOS app but that's not ready yet.

If you're more looking for automatic syncing folders between devices, use Syncthing (also supports BSD and not yet iOS).
I installed that both on Mint19 and on my android cellphone but it seems not work. (my laptop and phone connected to same WiFi and they can not find each other while sending a file)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mroptonix wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 amI installed that both on Mint19 and on my android cellphone but it seems not work. (my laptop and phone connected to same WiFi and they can not find each other while sending a file)
Dangit. It looks (from the FAQ) that the Android version needs you to have NitroShare one version newer than is in Linux Mint 19 (0.3.4 instead of 0.3.3).

There is an official PPA that has the right version, but it doesn't support Linux Mint 19 (or actually Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic) yet. Possibly you can use the packages from Ubuntu 17.10 Artful by downloading them manually but I've not tested it: https://launchpad.net/~george-edison55/ ... ter=artful. Otherwise compiling from source.

Sorry. Debian/Ubuntu package bases can make things that should be easy very hard.
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Turtletronic »

- TotalCommander, once more
- MusicBee, the non-plus-ultra music library & player
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Turtletronic wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:58 am - TotalCommander, once more
May I suggest Double Commander https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/. It's a cross-platform alternative to TotalCommander, touted by others as being better. It even supports TotalCommander plugins.

You can install it through the developer's build service here https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... blecmd-gtk. Click on Ubuntu for Linux Mint 17.x/18.x/19 or on Debian for LMDE 2/3. For Linux Mint 19 follow the xUbuntu 18.04 instructions, for Linux Mint 18.x xUbuntu 16.04 and for 17.x follow 14.04. For LMDE 2 follow Debian 8.0 and for LMDE 3 follow Debian 9.0.
Turtletronic wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:58 am - MusicBee, the non-plus-ultra music library & player
I don't have as complete a replacement suggestion for that. The player interface reminds me of Lollypop https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Lollypop. You may like that one. On Linux Mint 18.3 and 19 you can install Lollypop through the Flatpak category of Software Manager.

For automatic tagging of music files I don't have a suggestions as where I buy music the files already are tagged. But looking at MusicBee it uses MusicBrainz for this and MusicBrainz have a cross-platform music tagger called Picard: https://picard.musicbrainz.org/. You can install that on Linux Mint directly from Software Manager, just search for picard.

So not an all in one solution but perhaps Lollypop combined with Picard can fit the bill.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am ...
I let them know too. :wink:
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

old_noob wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:32 pm I would love to be able to run Android apps natively on linux, i.e. no VM or emulator. So much stuff comes as a mobile app only these days and I hate fiddling with a phone or tablet when it could be right on my desktop.
This!

Would be very useful for those of us who haven't the money (or the desire) to purchase one of these expensive, fragile gadgets. One of my mates recently knocked his Galaxy off the coffee table & it landed on the only unprotected area on the casing edge, cracking the screen. Hundreds of pounds to buy & reduced to scrap value just like that.

I find it very frustrating that so much stuff is now available as a smartphone app but not for a proper smart device i.e. a PC. :x It's what computers are for, after all, not something a telephone was originally intended to do .. and they could be so much better as a result.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't follow the "I want Android apps on Linux". Most apps on Android show ads in the program — while you're using it. It's bad enough I have to have such tripe on my phone but why would I want to have adware & spyware laden programs on my computer. I just want to run Linux on my phone :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am I just want to run Linux on my phone :)
That's not impossible... https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am
Just to let others know:
This is the email I got with my question to Intuit (TurboTax).
Carl answered your question: Do you plan on having TurboTax for the Linux operating system platform?

This is a public user-to-user forum. TurboTax does not frequent this forum at this time of year, like they do at tax filing time. But I can tell you that there are absolutely no plans at this time to port the program to Linux. Why? Simple business decision. No profit in it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

JerryF wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:16 pm
No profit in it.
Let's take a look at that. Linux desktop marketshare is about 2% in the USA. Likely a bit higher among self-employed and small business owners.

If I understand the pricing for the desktop version correctly, TurboTax costs between $50 and $120. Let's assume the average plan people pick is the $80 package. According to Intuit's factsheet they have 5.3 million TurboTax desktop users in the USA. So that's a yearly revenue of $424 million (about 8% of their total yearly revenue). Given, it pales in comparison with the 28.5 million TurboTax online users in the USA, even if that version is a bit cheaper than the desktop version.

Anyway, 2% of that is $8.5 million a year. So it would really depend on what frameworks and libraries they used to develop their Windows and macOS desktop programs. If either of those uses something cross-platform or that is easily converted to Linux, it might be worth the effort. But it wouldn't surprise me, given the huge preference of users for their online version, that all their development effort and business planning goes towards that.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:01 pm
JerryF wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:16 pm
No profit in it.
Let's take a look at that. Linux desktop marketshare is about 2% in the USA. Likely a bit higher among self-employed and small business owners.

If I understand the pricing for the desktop version correctly, TurboTax costs between $50 and $120. Let's assume the average plan people pick is the $80 package. According to Intuit's factsheet they have 5.3 million TurboTax desktop users in the USA. So that's a yearly revenue of $424 million (about 8% of their total yearly revenue). Given, it pales in comparison with the 28.5 million TurboTax online users in the USA, even if that version is a bit cheaper than the desktop version.

Anyway, 2% of that is $8.5 million a year. So it would really depend on what frameworks and libraries they used to develop their Windows and macOS desktop programs. If either of those uses something cross-platform or that is easily converted to Linux, it might be worth the effort. But it wouldn't surprise me, given the huge preference of users for their online version, that all their development effort and business planning goes towards that.
I can see their point. As you said, a larger percentage are online users, so they probably won't switch to desktop of Linux. Then there are users like I am, they'll be switching from the desktop version of Windows to Linux, so no new customers.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I used to do my taxes with those online tax services until I noticed I've been shortchanged on refunds due to logic bugs in the online software. From then on I've been doing the preparation myself and it's way faster because I don't have to go through those lengthy questionnaires. I just make sure I read the "What's new" section each year before doing the computations.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

The only reason I use Wine is to play vintage RPG games made by people from all over the world, due to the developers making their codebase restricted. Therefore, I'll need to keep using this "emulator" to be able to enjoy gaming without a Windows installation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I know he's considered an extremist, even among the GNU+Linux community, but the older I've gotten, the more I've seen on my own of business behavior generally and tech sector businesses in particular, and what has come to light through various whistleblowers and other sources in this last decade, I find myself totally agreeing with Richard Stallman.

Now, to be fair, there's a bunch of things he will not do or own or tolerate on his box which I do, own, and tolerate on mine, but that said, I will not keep or use anything proprietary on my computer. I only tolerate the MP3 format for use on the head unit of my car because it neither supports FLAC nor OGG. I create and modify M$ Office files, strictly for the benefit of my company, but I do so using LibreOffice.

Now, going back to the question of what software I'd love to see in GNU+Linux, I'd also love to see more business software. So, replacements for PeachTree and Great Plains (now Microsoft Dynamics GP), for FileMaker Pro and another database program which for some reason I just can't remember the name of (here, it may be more plausible to build software that just uses SQL in the background), and as I've said above, Apple's suite of software. Being able to fully replace Adobe's suite, and QuarkXPress, etc., would be great as well.

What we're really talking about here is increasing the number of case uses for desktop GNU+Linux that individuals and businesses alike can switch.

We also have to do something about school level indoctrination of Microsoft's products.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am ...for FileMaker Pro and another database program which for some reason I just can't remember the name of (here, it may be more plausible to build software that just uses SQL in the background), ...
Would that be Access from Microsoft that you can't remember?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

BG405 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:57 am
old_noob wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:32 pm I would love to be able to run Android apps natively on linux, i.e. no VM or emulator. So much stuff comes as a mobile app only these days and I hate fiddling with a phone or tablet when it could be right on my desktop.
This!
YES!
:D

Return to “Open Chat”