Software that you would like to have for Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by WiltshireJon »

Alexiy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm What software would you like to be available for Linux? Not only alternatives to Windows soft, but also specially for Linux?
Lightweight Amazon Kindle app. Which can read the stuff I bought off Amazon. Sorry if someone's mentioned this before...or if it is available. The cloud reader works but is a bit clunky.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

WiltshireJon wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm
Alexiy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm What software would you like to be available for Linux? Not only alternatives to Windows soft, but also specially for Linux?
Lightweight Amazon Kindle app. Which can read the stuff I bought off Amazon. Sorry if someone's mentioned this before...or if it is available. The cloud reader works but is a bit clunky.
Caliber works fairly well. It can also load books on the Kindle and apply the updates as well.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

• Garmin for Linux to update my GPS.
  • TurboTax for Linux would be nice.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Rufus equivalent would be a good one if practical.

Post by BG405 »

A very useful program would be a functional Linux replacement for Rufus. Doesn't need a GUI as long as it allows creation of custom USB installation media, which is needed for fixing certain Windows tablets & would avoid the need to run an instance of Windows to do so. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Onenote -- full desktop, not the browser version (which does work).
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

Way back when this thread started, I would have wished for a native version of Cakewalk Sonar (the music software). I don't need that now, thanks to Bitwig Studio; it's not free, but for me it's worth the money, is developed by some former Ableton Live programmers, and it runs on Mint 18 (or almost any Ubuntu flavor or Ubuntu-based distro) natively as well as macOS or Windows. I have it on my iMac and the Dell Inspiron in my sig; the license allows three concurrent installs, one on each OS platform.

The only other thing I could wish for now is iTunes so I can sync music to my iPhone.

Other than that, I'm good with Linux.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Mroptonix

Post by Mroptonix »

OneNote or a software for note taking with online sync
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mroptonix wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 am OneNote or a software for note taking with online sync
This already exists: Next Notes app on Nextcloud.

"Nextcloud is an open source, self-hosted file share and communication platform. Access & sync your files, contacts, calendars & communicate and collaborate across your devices. You decide what happens with your data, where it is and who can access it." To learn more see: https://nextcloud.com/. It runs on your own server and you can access it through web, their desktop client and their iOS and Android apps. You could run it on a RaspberryPi at home for cheap or for a few bucks per month host it on a virtual server like https://www.vultr.com/ or DigitalOcean.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

What software?

Drivers, drivers, drivers!!!
Don't stop where the ink does.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

shawnhcorey wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:04 am What software?

You mean those software that fully utilize the hardware capabilities? The day it happens would be the day Windows $$$ dies.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

The software I would like to have for Linux is an equivalent to Visual FoxPro (VFP). It's the all-purpose RAD tool which M$ decided to kill because it kept the small to medium size (and some large) businesses from buying their more expensive MS SQL + C# / VB tool combination.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mediclaser wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 pm The software I would like to have for Linux is an equivalent to Visual FoxPro (VFP). It's the all-purpose RAD tool which M$ decided to kill because it kept the small to medium size (and some large) businesses from buying their more expensive MS SQL + C# / VB tool combination.
What about Harbour https://harbour.github.io/ or Flagship http://www.fship.com/

Both can read FoxPro's xBase dialect.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

mediclaser wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 pm
shawnhcorey wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:04 am What software?

You mean those software that fully utilize the hardware capabilities? The day it happens would be the day Windows $$$ dies.
Bonus.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

InkKnife wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:27 amThe only application I miss from OSX is called GraphicConverter.
Wow! I haven't thought about GraphicConverter in years! However, in the age of GIMP, I think it would probably be superfluous.
JerryF wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:30 pm
My phone is my GPS. It's hard to find a reason for a dedicated GPS device any longer, from what I see. As far as TurboTax, I use Intuit's web based products for all my tax prep needs. I haven't paid a nickel for tax software in a decade.
shawnhcorey wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:04 amWhat software?

Yep. But just as importantly, we need to disincentivize hardware manufacturers deliberately hardware-level restricting their products. There's so much bad behavior going on in the business world, and we as consumers need to put a stop to it.
shawnhcorey wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:04 amYou mean those software that fully utilize the hardware capabilities? The day it happens would be the day Windows $$$ dies.
I'd pay $5 to see that happen.

I'd like to see more media software, including replacements for Apple's GarageBand, et al, and other companies' business software. I'd also really like to see more development put into Scribus so that it didn't feel like someone's hobby project.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:59 am It's hard to find a reason for a dedicated GPS device any longer, from what I see.
True enough, but on the other hand, if you have one and it still works fine, why not?
We have a Garmin Nüvi and load it with OpenStreetmaps map material, which means we can update it without running Windows. It's not an option for all Garmin navis, I don't think, but it works for ours.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:59 am ...
JerryF wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:30 pm
My phone is my GPS. It's hard to find a reason for a dedicated GPS device any longer, from what I see. As far as TurboTax, I use Intuit's web based products for all my tax prep needs. I haven't paid a nickel for tax software in a decade.
Not so hard to find a reason---I don't have a smart phone. :wink:

My tax needs are a little more complicated than what the web-based product can offer. :)
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I've got by with almost all software I needed except Photoshop. I miss it
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I thought I'd already replied tot this thread. The major things that kept me away from Linux were a lack of M$ Access compatible alternative (which I have finally replaced with another incompatible app) and Sketchup. Nothing that I have found, yet, comes close to Sketchup for ease of use and performance. I've managed to convince sketchup to work using PlayOnLinux so the need for a M$ product is no longer critical.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Mroptonix

Post by Mroptonix »

1. Corel and SketchUp!
2.a software to transfer data with wifi with high speed! (to another pc and mobile) such as share it
3.optical design program like Zemax opticstudio and code V
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mroptonix wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 am 2.a software to transfer data with wifi with high speed! (to another pc and mobile) such as share it
Between PCs you can use NitroShare (available for Linux, macOS, Windows). NitroShare also has integration for several file managers, like Nemo (Cinnamon) and Caja (MATE). Install it through Software Manager on Linux Mint. For other OSes download from https://nitroshare.net/.

NitroShare also have an Android app https://nitroshare.net/android/. They are working on an iOS app but that's not ready yet.

If you're more looking for automatic syncing folders between devices, use Syncthing (also supports BSD and not yet iOS).

Return to “Open Chat”