Software that you would like to have for Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by phd21 »

Hi "deepakdeshp",
deepakdeshp wrote:A nice but simple to use c and c++ ide which gives context sensitive help. Meaning if I hover my mouse over printf it gives me syntax and a simple working code with printf
Have you looked at "QT"?
https://www.qt.io/

Get Started with Qt - Determine which option is best for you.
https://www.qt.io/download/
Charge for commercial development (but so very worth it)
Commercial deployment

Free for:
In-house deployment, private use, or student use

Open source distribution under an LGPL or GPL license

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Flemur",

Video editing:

Have you tried ""Kdenlive", new "OpenShot", Flowblade, Lives, Cinelerra-cv, Lightworks, etc... I have used Kdenlive many times and have not had issues with video and audio syncing, even on my ancient computer.

For easy Movies and slideshows: FFdiaporama v2.1 (& Kdenlive).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Night Wing",
Night Wing wrote:I would like to see genuine linux versions for the accounting programs Turbo Tax and Quicken which my sister in law uses. Now, I think one of these programs runs in either Wine or Crossover, but she doesn't want to go that route. She's tried Gnucash and doesn't care for it.
If I am not mistaken, don't you have web versions of Turbo Tax and Quicken / QuickBooks that can work through your browser(s) on any operating system including Linux?

You might also try "KMyMoney", or "Scrooge", etc... There are other detailed posts in this forum on available accounting options.

Hope this helps ...
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

phd21 wrote:Hi "deepakdeshp",
deepakdeshp wrote:A nice but simple to use c and c++ ide which gives context sensitive help. Meaning if I hover my mouse over printf it gives me syntax and a simple working code with printf
Have you looked at "QT"?
https://www.qt.io/

Get Started with Qt - Determine which option is best for you.
https://www.qt.io/download/
Charge for commercial development (but so very worth it)
Commercial deployment

Free for:
In-house deployment, private use, or student use

Open source distribution under an LGPL or GPL license

Hope this helps ...
Thank you. I yried the download for ipen source, but itvus quite big and the download hanged after 30%.There was no problem with the network. There is no torrent download for the same.
I will try again.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Fred Barclay wrote:No, tsunami was/is a backdoor program, not a virus (it's deprecated and I'm rather surprised the hackers chose to use it). http://malware.wikia.com/wiki/Tsunami
A "virus" has to be self-replicating and able to embed itself into other programmes. Tsunami did neither.
I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification Fred. Still seems like a dangerous bit of software though. :wink:
Fred Barclay wrote:But that info then leads newbies who don't know any better to install anything and everything on their systems because "Linux is secure!"
Why not give them the ability to do so safely?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Oh, it definitely is dangerous. You won't be able to apt-get install tsunami. ;)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by giving newbies an opportunity to do ??? safely. :?
If you mean installing software securely, there is a way - the repositories. They're as safe and secure as we can make 'em.
More advanced users can install software from source code, and if they're read the code and checked that it is good, that's also quite safe (though not as easy as using the repos).

I do want to point out that Linux is secure, though not bulletproof - for example, there aren't any outstanding Linux viruses. What I meant in my earlier comment was that it is possible to break Linux, or to get a malware infection, by bad computing practices. Running as root or downloading and installing stuff from dodgy websites can easily lead to someone gaining control of your (Linux) computer.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Fred Barclay wrote:You won't be able to apt-get install tsunami.
Indeed, I can't even apt-get install tsunami-detector. :wink:
Fred Barclay wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean by giving newbies an opportunity to do ??? safely.
Install any (not just that which is in the repository) software they might choose safely.
Fred Barclay wrote:More advanced users can install software from source code, and if they're read the code and checked that it is good, that's also quite safe (though not as easy as using the repos).
Unfortunately I doubt I'll ever be this 'advanced'. It maybe bad computing practice but I use some software that isn't in the repository. Just wish I could check it out first. Should I build another machine to test software on?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I don't believe it would be possible to create an OS that it would be safe to install anything on (including malware).

There are some exceptions to the rule of "install from the repo", though. Software from vendors like Google (for Google Chrome) is safe. I wouldn't worry about building a test machine if you are sure you can trust the vendor.
On the other hand, if your computer can handle virtualisation, then you might want to install VirtualBox and make a few Mint virtual machines, just in case you want to play around or test.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Internet Cafe Timer - an up-to-date one. Software like Mkhawa seem to be dead.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Software to defeat UEFI when dual booting Mint with Windows 10. I have found some links but all the steps require quite a few steps and I know I will mess it up.

I just did an older W7 laptop with a USB stick and Mint takes care of setting up the partitions. No big deal. Have done this a few times since 2003.

L
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

Total Commander!
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

Clam is dangerous as far as I am concerned because it does not scan for potential threats to linux systems. It only scans for stuff that affects windows. Yet the package manager states:
Synaptic Package Manager wrote:Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix.
Seems to me like this could lead one to believe that software scanned with clam is safe to install on their linux system even though it might not be

I did not know it was just for window programs
Alexiy wrote:And I suppose that writing viruses for Linux is harder than for Windows and not "profitable" or rewarding from a cracker's view point.
So why do you suppose mint was cracked in February?

good point
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

rc_racer wrote:Clam is dangerous as far as I am concerned because it does not scan for potential threats to linux systems. It only scans for stuff that affects windows. Yet the package manager states:
Synaptic Package Manager wrote:Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix.
Seems to me like this could lead one to believe that software scanned with clam is safe to install on their linux system even though it might not be

I did not know it was just for window programs
Alexiy wrote:And I suppose that writing viruses for Linux is harder than for Windows and not "profitable" or rewarding from a cracker's view point.
So why do you suppose mint was cracked in February?

good point
...No one's OS was cracked directly - the ISO images were modified. There's a difference. Read the blog first - http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994.
TwoLeftThumbs

Post by TwoLeftThumbs »

In Windows they have a very simple program that almost no one knows about called "Snip"

It is fantastic because you open the program and then you drag a rectangle on the screen whatever size
you'd like then it captures that section of the screen.

I'm able to do the same thing in Linux but I have to do a screen copy then I have to cut the area.

It would be nice to have that simple utility.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Depending on your desktop environment, you can do the same on Linux Mint. At least on Cinnamon and MATE this should work I think. Hold down the Shift key and tap the PrintScreen button. Your mouse cursor changes and you can select an area to capture.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

xenopeek wrote:Hold down the Shift key and tap the PrintScreen button. Your mouse cursor changes and you can select an area to capture.
No such thing is happening for me (17.3 Cinn).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

See this issue https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/3981. Basically, you have to hold down Shift and quickly tap PrintScreen. In some programs if you press the PrintScreen key for too long it doesn't work. There are several other workarounds and temporary fixes noted on that issue.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Moem wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Hold down the Shift key and tap the PrintScreen button. Your mouse cursor changes and you can select an area to capture.
No such thing is happening for me (17.3 Cinn).
xenopeek is right, it does work, but you have to only tap - just right. My previous comment on this in another thread was "You have to hold your tongue just right, squint with one eye, and tilt your head at a 45 degree angle."

Seriously, install gnome-screenshot.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-screenshot
It will be in Menu > Accessories > Screenshot (It is in my Favorites list, currently.)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

If you use xfce as your DE, xfce4-screenshooter will do that as well. I don't know if it works in other DEs such as mate or cinnamon, but I use it a lot in my Xubuntu-14.04.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

austin.texas wrote: xenopeek is right, it does work, but you have to only tap - just right.
Oh! I see. It does work. That's convenient. Thanks!
austin.texas wrote: Seriously, install gnome-screenshot.
Seriously, why? I can't remember reporting any probloems with the default screenshot application.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”