Software that you would like to have for Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by xenopeek »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 amI'd also love to see more business software. So, replacements for PeachTree and Great Plains (now Microsoft Dynamics GP), for FileMaker Pro and another database program which for some reason I just can't remember the name of (here, it may be more plausible to build software that just uses SQL in the background)
I think there's quite a bit of ERP and CRM software for Linux. Some fully open source, some have a free open source community edition and a closed source paid edition with more features and support. It will take some exploring to find the one that best meets needs. Do an Internet search for "linux erp" and you'll quickly come across top 10 lists of ERP and CRM offerings to get started.

For FileMaker Pro I'd suggest to take a look at Kexi: https://www.calligra.org/kexi/
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:33 am
Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am ...for FileMaker Pro and another database program which for some reason I just can't remember the name of (here, it may be more plausible to build software that just uses SQL in the background), ...
Would that be Access from Microsoft that you can't remember?
No. It's not a Microsoft product. A friend of mine absolutely swears by it, and for the life of me, the name escapes my memory.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

form.Z - a CAD/3-D modeling program. Called unusable by many, I find it absolutely logical and reminds me of the work at the classical drawing table.
Continue to use it under Mac OS 9... - Computer Stone Age so to speak - but what the hell - it works.
Blender? I have great respect for this work and it is certainly a good project, but I personally can't cope with it.

form.Z on Linux - I would buy immediately...
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

So many serious requests... I'm afraid I won't able to help with most of these XD.
Turtletronic wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:58 am - TotalCommander, once more
- MusicBee, the non-plus-ultra music library & player
I never used total commander, but I'm curious what features of it you lack in linux managers...
absque fenestris wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 pm form.Z - a CAD/3-D modeling program. Called unusable by many, I find it absolutely logical and reminds me of the work at the classical drawing table.
Continue to use it under Mac OS 9... - Computer Stone Age so to speak - but what the hell - it works.
Blender? I have great respect for this work and it is certainly a good project, but I personally can't cope with it.
form.Z on Linux - I would buy immediately...
I don't like Blender as well, seems counter-intuitive program for me.
Marziano wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:44 am
BG405 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:57 am
old_noob wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:32 pm I would love to be able to run Android apps natively on linux, i.e. no VM or emulator. So much stuff comes as a mobile app only these days and I hate fiddling with a phone or tablet when it could be right on my desktop.
This!
YES!
:D
Native run is not possible because android has a non-standard JVM implementation. That said, what android apps you want for desktop? Games aside...
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Alexiy wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:46 am That said, what android apps you want for desktop? Games aside...
An infra-red remote control program would be rather handy. I mean one where the computer is used to control other devices, NOT the other way round which always seems to be the case with everything I've found. Such software could be used for equipment with a lost or broken remote, or unlocking the region restrictions on DVD recorders, for example.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm
JerryF wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:33 am
Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am ...for FileMaker Pro and another database program which for some reason I just can't remember the name of (here, it may be more plausible to build software that just uses SQL in the background), ...
Would that be Access from Microsoft that you can't remember?
No. It's not a Microsoft product. A friend of mine absolutely swears by it, and for the life of me, the name escapes my memory.
Ok, I was just on the phone with that friend, and the name of the database program is Panorama.

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Portreve wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:29 amOk, I was just on the phone with that friend, and the name of the database program is Panorama.
It's a RAM based database and spreadsheet program? There are plenty of RAM based database available for Linux but not standalone with a spreadsheet front-end that I know of. But, you can just run LibreOffice Base or Calc or similar with its files stored on a RAM disk. It's trivial to set up a RAM disk on Linux and there are tools for automatically syncing the RAM disk with a directory on your hard disk. But this quickly goes into the "scratch your own itch" territory and it depends on how badly you want it whether going that route is worth your time :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hey xenopeek!
xenopeek wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pmIt's a RAM based database and spreadsheet program?
When I first read this, I was like “Huh? What?” Honestly, I hadn't read any of ProVue's description about Panorama. I don't use it myself, so I honestly don't know anything about it, just that it's supposedly a pretty good database program that a friend of mine and evidently a ton of people he hangs out with use.
There are plenty of RAM based database available for Linux but not standalone with a spreadsheet front-end that I know of. But, you can just run LibreOffice Base or Calc or similar with its files stored on a RAM disk.
Honestly, I doubt that aspect of Panorama is particularly important. It wouldn't be to my friend, and I don't think it would be to me either.

My primary background in using databases is FileMaker Pro. I remember when it was still essentially owned by Apple by way of a division which was subsequently spun off. In my own personal life, I've just never really needed one; my main concern here is that there are some really good choices available for normal people so that when the conversation comes up about basically pulling someone away from FMP (which I think would be more likely with Mac OS X users than Windows ones) it is an area that's also covered.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:59 am
InkKnife wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:27 amThe only application I miss from OSX is called GraphicConverter.
Wow! I haven't thought about GraphicConverter in years! However, in the age of GIMP, I think it would probably be superfluous.

GraphicConverter is not like Gimp or Photoshop.It has a set of solid quick edit tools but also has a very powerful and easy to configure batching system: Batch renaming, orientation sensitive resizing, watermarking and on and on.It can edit EXIF or strip it out completely.
Basically any conversion can be done in GC.
In addition to that it is a powerful organizing utility with a full range of tags and does all this using the native file system instead of obfuscating things in a library.
A nice GIF builder, optimize for the web...I could go on and on.
GraphicConverter is the best graphics utility on any platform.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:39 pm
mediclaser wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 pm The software I would like to have for Linux is an equivalent to Visual FoxPro (VFP). It's the all-purpose RAD tool which M$ decided to kill because it kept the small to medium size (and some large) businesses from buying their more expensive MS SQL + C# / VB tool combination.
What about Harbour https://harbour.github.io/ or Flagship http://www.fship.com/

Both can read FoxPro's xBase dialect.
Sorry for taking too long to reply. Apparently, those two are not designed for rapid application development (RAD), but are rather alternatives for Clipper which was my favorite xbase tool before switching to FoxPro.
Anyways, thanks for sharing the links.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Someone requested a TotalCommander clone, so I started developing a file manager. It is in early stage, but if anyone wants to try it, here is the download - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a-Gpb ... vcePiKY9m7.
It requires Java 8 to work.
Usage: after extracting downloaded Zip, use the shell script appropriate for your system to launch the file manager. On start it opens all root directories; text labels represent files, and buttons - directories.
Its code can be viewed here - https://github.com/AlexiyOrlov/FileManager.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

While I have sorta have to agree on Blender, to be fair it isn't a CAD program. CAD has some different needs then general 3d modeling and animation software. For general 3d stuff, that's one area where Linux isn't shorthanded. Some of the biggest apps like Maya and Houdini are fully supported under Linux.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

JosephM wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:14 pm
While I have sorta have to agree on Blender, to be fair it isn't a CAD program. CAD has some different needs then general 3d modeling and animation software. For general 3d stuff, that's one area where Linux isn't shorthanded. Some of the biggest apps like Maya and Houdini are fully supported under Linux.
It may be that these programs run on Linux (Red Hat...).
But it is not the programme that would be decisive for me. I mentioned form.Z explicitly - and not Maya...
Not to mention the price.

MAYA $1,505.00 / YEAR
Houdini 16.5 2017-NOV-07 $6,995
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

Haven't used it long but these are the ones that hit me right away.

Microsoft Office (although I'd be happy with just Excel)
Notepad++ (this one's not playing fully nicely with WINE)
iTunes (need it for offline iPhone/iPad backups)
PortableApps
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rui no onna wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 pm Notepad++ (this one's not playing fully nicely with WINE)

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:notepadqq-team/notepadqq
sudo apt update
sudo apt install notepadqq
It's not notepad++ but it is close.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

interesting that you said "Microsoft Office (although I'd be happy with just Excel), Notepad++ (this one's not playing fully nicely with WINE)"

in the newest peppermint 9 release the following are included in "online" versions...DAMIEN

microsoft excel
microsoft one note
microsoft powerpoint
microsoft word
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:19 pm in the newest peppermint 9 release the following are included in "online" versions...DAMIEN

microsoft excel
microsoft one note
microsoft powerpoint
microsoft word
I think anyone can get those by signing up for a free Office 365 account. The problem with them is that they are nowhere near as comprehensively kitted out as the full versions so they're somewhat limited.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:17 pm
rui no onna wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 pm Notepad++ (this one's not playing fully nicely with WINE)

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:notepadqq-team/notepadqq
sudo apt update
sudo apt install notepadqq
It's not notepad++ but it is close.
Wow!
Thanks for that tidbit....
I am a NotePad aficionado
Ted just don't quite cut it when you are used to Notepad.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:19 pm interesting that you said "Microsoft Office (although I'd be happy with just Excel), Notepad++ (this one's not playing fully nicely with WINE)"

in the newest peppermint 9 release the following are included in "online" versions...DAMIEN

microsoft excel
microsoft one note
microsoft powerpoint
microsoft word
Noticed that in Manjaro. Iirc, my Office 365 subscription (used with iPad) is currently lapsed so gonna have to renew first. Based on the limitations of the iOS versions, though, I don't believe the online versions would be fully featured, either.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

It would never happen in a million years, but HyperCard would be fun to have.

And from HyperCard we would get AppleScript.

Now, I know most of you folks are pretty much anathema to anything that comes from Cupertino, and believe me, I understand fully, but AppleScript is still a pretty user-friendly scripting language.

(And for the umteenth time in this thread, Automator (which both lets you grab building blocks plus you can also write your own AppleScript bits, too.)

Return to “Open Chat”