Software that you would like to have for Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by InkKnife »

The only application I miss from OSX is called GraphicConverter. The best, most powerful and easiest to use graphics utility on any platform.
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

To user "TwoLeftThumbs", regarding capturing an area of the screen: Almost all of the good screen capture programs can capture an "area" of the screen (usually rectangular) without having to first capture the entire desktop and editing that. You might first have to hit the print screen key, then select the capture option like "Rectangular Region", or if that screenshot application has a shortcut key combo for capturing a screen area then use that. "Shutter" is probably the best screenshot application available, and it can easily do that. "Shutter" is in the Software manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). In my Linux Mint KDE 17.3 system the "Ksnapshot" program does this, and the new very nice Linux Mint 18 KDE screenshot application "Spectacle" also does this.

Tip: if you are trying to capture a screenshot of a "pop-up", "Fly-out", or right click menu, mouse over message, then you can use the "Delay" option that most good screen capture application programs have. Set the "Delay" to something like 7 seconds, click take new screenshot, then go to or bring up the menu, pop-up, mouse over, fly-out, or right click menu, that you are interested in capturing, and just wait for the screen capture timer to take the screen shot. "Shutter" also has an option to capture menu items. Obviously, you cannot use the select an area option to capture these type of screenshots because if you move your mouse, then these disappear or change, so you have to capture the entire desktop (usually), then edit it if you only want a portion of it.

Tip2: There are some excellent easy to use image editors for cropping portions of images, and many other image editing tasks, like "Kolourpaint", Pinta, gpaint, mypaint, etc...

To user "InkKnife":
InkKnife wrote:The only application I miss from OSX is called GraphicConverter. The best, most powerful and easiest to use graphics utility on any platform.
That looks like a really nice paid for application. But, there are numerous excellent Linux graphics tools available that can do the same things. You might have to use more than one tool to accomplish your final results, but it can certainly be done.

"Converseen" in the Software manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) is an excellent tool for easily and quickly converting images into other image formats. It can also be used to easily shrink (scale down) images and save them into a smaller compressed image format like ".jpg (jpeg)" for uploading into this forum's currently and extremely limited image size of less than 98kb.
http://converseen.fasterland.net/

There are also multi-functional graphics browsers and editors like "Gwenview", "XnViewMP, DigiKam, showFoto, Pix, gThumb, gnome-photos, Phatch, PhotoQT, Shotwell, gPhoto or gPhoto2, KPhotoAlbum, gtkRawGallery, Gallery-App (gallery-uploader), Photofloat, etc.... Gimp (of course and all the plugins), Photivo, DigiKam, etc...PhotoPrint. (more web stuff: album, FGallery, imageIndex, Jigl, PhotoFloat, etc...). These are certainly worth trying and using.

Photivo (can be installed using PPA below)
http://photivo.org/

Dariusz Duma - Every photographer needs some tools... Adding this PPA to your system
VIP Note: Below is a great PPA for many great photography and image applications, but I have had issues with this PPA trying to install a version of FFmpeg that wanted to remove many other programs that I wanted to keep; in Mint versions 17.3 or less, have not been using version 18 long enough to know if this is still an issue. So, after installing all the applications you want from this PPA (see the link below for all the available software in this PPA and their names), making sure during installing any of these that it does not remove anything you want to keep, then you might want to disable this PPA, or remember to not install FFmpeg from this PPA.
https://launchpad.net/%7Edhor/+archive/ ... x?batch=75

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install EnterInPackageName (example like photivo or photocollage, gimp-beautify, etc...)

Note: a lot of these applications and screen capture programs can also upload to various online image hosting websites as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "jazz.h"

Regarding the "Total Commander" file manager.

It would help to know which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using.

There are a few really great file managers in, and for, Linux Mint. What features of "Total Commander" do you think are not available, or missing from whatever file manager you are using? There are other detailed posts in this forum on this topic as well.

In Linux Mint KDE, there is the awesome "Dolphin" file manager, Krusader, Konquerer...
"Krusader" is an advanced twin panel (commander style) file manager for KDE and other desktops in the *nix world, similar to Midnight or Total Commander. It provides all the file management features you could possibly want.
It is in the Software Manager and the Synaptic Package Manager
http://www.krusader.org/
Sunflower File manager - very nice
http://sunflower-fm.org/

Double Commander: "doublecmd-gtk" for Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, or "doublecmd-qt"

Gnome-Commander:

SpaceFM

Midnight Commander (MC) for console terminal

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pjotr",

To anyone looking for GPS software, the links below might help. And, I know there are other posts regarding GPS's in this forum. Even if this software in the link below does not work for your particular GPS device, you might be able to contact the developers to see if they can get your device working, and maybe you can get other good information there.

FoxtrotGPS
http://www.foxtrotgps.org/

Compatible Hardware
http://www.catb.org/gpsd/hardware.html

Hope this helps ...
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

phd21 wrote:Hi Everyone,

To user "TwoLeftThumbs", regarding capturing an area of the screen: Almost all of the good screen capture programs can capture an "area" of the screen (usually rectangular) without having to first capture the entire desktop and editing that. You might first have to hit the print screen key, then select the capture option like "Rectangular Region", or if that screenshot application has a shortcut key combo for capturing a screen area then use that. "Shutter" is probably the best screenshot application available, and it can easily do that. "Shutter" is in the Software manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). In my Linux Mint KDE 17.3 system the "Ksnapshot" program does this, and the new very nice Linux Mint 18 KDE screenshot application "Spectacle" also does this.

Tip: if you are trying to capture a screenshot of a "pop-up", "Fly-out", or right click menu, mouse over message, then you can use the "Delay" option that most good screen capture application programs have. Set the "Delay" to something like 7 seconds, click take new screenshot, then go to or bring up the menu, pop-up, mouse over, fly-out, or right click menu, that you are interested in capturing, and just wait for the screen capture timer to take the screen shot. "Shutter" also has an option to capture menu items. Obviously, you cannot use the select an area option to capture these type of screenshots because if you move your mouse, then these disappear or change, so you have to capture the entire desktop (usually), then edit it if you only want a portion of it.

Tip2: There are some excellent easy to use image editors for cropping portions of images, and many other image editing tasks, like "Kolourpaint", Pinta, gpaint, mypaint, etc...

To user "InkKnife":
InkKnife wrote:The only application I miss from OSX is called GraphicConverter. The best, most powerful and easiest to use graphics utility on any platform.
That looks like a really nice paid for application. But, there are numerous excellent Linux graphics tools available that can do the same things. You might have to use more than one tool to accomplish your final results, but it can certainly be done.
Oh, I know there are nice graphics tools on Linux and I have no problem getting done what I want to do. I was just saying that GraphicConverter is one of those Best In Class applications that have no real rivals when features are compared.
GC started as a very simple image viewer almost 25 years ago and through steady, incremental work has become a deeply rich application while avoiding the feeling that features were just piled on in the form a feature creep. LempkeSoft is a great little development shop.
TwoLeftThumbs

Post by TwoLeftThumbs »

Turns out that either already installed or somewhere on the internet I found a program called
screenshot and it does this flawlessly.

Also
Ksnapshot found in our repository works too.

Problem solved
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

What I would like on Linux is an easy to use basic video editor.
Every video editor I have tried seems to be attempting to be at least a prosumer to pro level editor and are massively complicated and arcane to try to learn.
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Software to allow me watch my DVDs I bought while in other countries
in windows I used Anydvd I have not found a program for Linux that will allow it
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

Going back to file managers, Win has IMHO, the best of all, FAR Commander. And one reason I will always have a win partition. It allows complete control of files, symlinks on Win, FTP, SSH, Registry access, a packet sniffer, and other options/addons too numerous to count, and will work fine in DOS mode. mc comes close, but has too many deficiencies for serious consideration as first rate.

FAR *will* work under Wine, but I would be careful with file operations, especially links (Win32).

However its excellent editors and archivers blow the linux stuff away.
denis

Post by denis »

Moem wrote:
stormryder wrote:So why do you suppose mint was cracked in February?
It wasn't. The download page was compromised, through an unsafe Wordpress plugin, and the links on that page were replaced by links to backdoored ISOs. It was a nasty and potentially harmful attack, that's for sure, but not a single Linux virus was involved and not a single installation of Mint was cracked.

Still, the point stands that someone apparently thought it was worth their time. Which proves that Mint is getting too well-known to rely solely on security through obscurity.

'cracked' or not, seems to be a question of terminology or what you want to call it. either way, it was made vulnerable for ugly things
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Terminology matters.
denis wrote: it was made vulnerable for ugly things
That is true, something was, but if you don't define 'it', people may get the wrong impression.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Manufacturers making chipset drivers would be awesome to have. Went back to a dual boot for encoding purposes. Just using CPU alone in Mint vs windows cut the .mkv to .mp4 rewrap time in half. The only real difference is the chipset being more efficiently used versus linux default. This is not unlike using windows default drivers vs manufacturers drivers.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Off the top of my head:

Autodesk Fusion 360
Autodesk Inventor with HSM Works
Mastercam

Basically all the major CAD/CAM software that I use for work.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

z31fanatic wrote:Off the top of my head:

Autodesk Fusion 360
Autodesk Inventor with HSM Works
Mastercam

Basically all the major CAD/CAM software that I use for work.
Interesting, someone just asked me if they could run Fusion 360 on Linux. LOL

Yeah it is a shame these industry standard things don't work on Linux.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

To: "vladtepes" (Dracula??),

There are a lot of really good Cad/Cam software packages available to use in Linux that can read and write AudoCAD and other CAD/CAM formats, most are free and some others have paid for versions. There are many posts on this topic in this forum, if you search for them.

And of course, anyone can install Virtualbox with a version of MS Windows in that and install and run any MS Windows application in that while still in Linux Mint without dual booting.

To "Citizen229", encoding what? There are so many Linux and cross-platform applications for encoding, decoding, transcoding, audio and video and image files quickly and easily. What is it that you are trying to do that you think you still need to use MS Win for?

To "millpond" and anyone else regarding file managers, there are many file managers available to use and a lot of them have plug-ins and extensions to enhance their capabilities, search for file manager in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and search the Internet for "Linux file manager". I think most of the default file managers in each edition of Linux Mint can do FTP and SSH. Dolphin, Konqueror, Krusader, Midnight Commander (MC), can do almost anything with files, including FTP, SSH, etc... not to mention almost all of them can right click to easily perform other tasks, like run a packet sniffer, etc.. There is no "registry" per se in Linux Mint, thankfully.
millpond wrote:However its excellent editors and archivers blow the linux stuff away.
This statement is simply untrue. There are so many excellent editors of every type for anything you can imagine that run in Linux Mint (& cross-platform). As for Archivers (Archiving) applications, same thing, there are many that work great, including one of my favorites "PeaZip", Archive Manager (File Roller), Ark, etc... In Linux, with certain applications, you might have to right click them in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and also install their recommended and selected packages for all features to be available (do not install packages you do not understand what they are without asking here first).

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed May 03, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There's a new file manager under development that has a very Minty feel to it and looks pretty impressive. Given the track record of the author and the rate of updates I think it will be released fairly soon.
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/04/polo-is- ... -file.html
Veerstryngh Thynner

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello all,

As a musician, I'd like to see a handsome Voice Changer, in Linux, modeled on real human (singing) voices (Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Mezzo-Alto, Alto, High Tenor, "Low" Tenor, Baritone, Bass). That would give my male voice a much larger operational range.

Besides, proprietary software called Symphonic Choirs offers pre-recorded choirs & solo voices (except Bass). Amazingly, these can be made to sing lyrics in many a language.

I suspect, though, that this feature may well be beyond the technical and financial scope of Linux. But would this also apply to software featuring some single voices only (i.e. Soprano, Alto Tenor, Bass minimally), I wonder? And further to those single voices singing lyrics: I refer to the amazing ingenuity with which US firm Realitone has achieved that feat. I imagine that their approach might also form the departure point for developing independent Linux software in similar vein.

Veerstryngh Thynner
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Hey, is it okay to continue this thread? I was reading through it now and the main purpose I started it was to know what software people on Linux need. I have some programming skills and would like to attempt to implement some of the ideas posted here.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's fine with me. This is open chat, so we're not as strict here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Alright, now I have a lot of free time available. I attempted to learn Python since I last posted here, but didn't quite like it. I'm used to Java and it remains my chosen cup of coffee...
Now I'm taking requests for applications that someone would like to have (not just for Linux). As stated, I know Java well, so most of software written in it can be cross-platform.

Return to “Open Chat”