Have you ever had one of those days....

Chat about just about anything else
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7

Have you ever had one of those days....

Post by MurphCID »

I came home from work today, and it took everything I had to not call my boss and tell him I QUIT!!! Work has been getting to be more and more of a chore to get up and go into each day. After 22 years (12 in my current position), I think I am in serious burn out. I came home and felt like a zombie, just wanting to be left alone, and enjoy some mindless babble on netflix or a movie where I don't have to think....

Sorry, needed to vent, this day SUCKED!!!!
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Have you ever had one of those days....

Post by all41 »

Hi MurphCID,

How long since a decent vacation?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I don't know where you are MurphCID, but here in the U.S. most people work too much. I think USians now work more hours than people in any other developed nation on earth. Numerous studies have shown that working too many hours is counterproductive, as productivity drops off rapidly after a certain point. I think several European nations now have a standard work week of 35 hours, or thereabouts. And it seems like I read recently that some country - Sweden, maybe? - is going to a 6 hour work day. I have read that people in hunter-gatherer societies typically worked between 15 and 20 hours a week. I could live with that. Once years ago, at my annual review at the company I was then working for, they told me they were giving me a raise, and I said how about the equivalent in time off? But they didn't go for it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

This happens to a lot of us in our 40's/50's... when we realize we're closer to the end than the beginning. It goes away when we realize we're not at the end yet.
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MurphCID »

I can't remember.
all41 wrote:Hi MurphCID,

How long since a decent vacation?
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

I know the feeling.

I was stressed big time--even started developing an ulcer.
Doctor's orders--time off--so we took the first real vacation in 9 years.
We drove over 4000 miles--visited relatives, national parks, trout fishing,
canoeing, site seeing, picture taking, camping, time with the family, etc.
It was exactly what I needed (we all needed).
I came back renewed, relaxed, and even slightly anxious to return to the job.
The boss gained new appreciation of my presence since he had assumed much of
the work load during my absence.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

When we were in Germany we made some German friends - actually my wife did, that's another story how so many Americans overseas want to just stay in their little American bubble - same story when we were in Japan. Anyway here are my impressions as I understood it; the Germans are only allowed to work 50 hours a week and I think there is a limit on how many hours a day as well - not exactly sure how that works. They get 6 weeks vacation from the get go when they start a job. It seems they typically take at least one, two or three week vacation a year and maybe even a month on occasion. They get something like 27 holidays - they have what is called bridge days so that if a holiday is on say Thursday they take Thursday and Friday off so they end up with lots of long weekends.
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

My only contribution here is that you should not discount mental problems because of social stigmas, nor because they may not seem as legitimate as, for example, heart disease or a broken arm.

If you need help, get it. If you need to walk away, walk away. You're no use to yourself or your family if you get mentally damaged, or the stress triggers something else, like a stroke or a heart attack.
Your intermittently humble Portreve.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

22 years in IT.
6 at cirrhus9.
No Vacation.
1 million locky ransomware emails cleaned this week.

I wanted a vacation and now and still do. but I can't leave him hanging like that.
He hasn't had a Vacation in 8 years.

Could be worse.
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MurphCID »

That is why I started walking 5-7 miles a day, to deal with the stress of the job. They called me today on my day off with stuff to deal with. Sorry guys I was just wiped out when I posted the first one.
Portreve wrote:My only contribution here is that you should not discount mental problems because of social stigmas, nor because they may not seem as legitimate as, for example, heart disease or a broken arm.

If you need help, get it. If you need to walk away, walk away. You're no use to yourself or your family if you get mentally damaged, or the stress triggers something else, like a stroke or a heart attack.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

fwiw MurphCID--
You can pretty much say what's on your mind here.
Vent if you feel the need.
Best wishes,
all41
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MurphCID »

Last week was just as bad. I told a friend that I normally wear a tie to keep the foreskin from riding up over my face..... I took the tie off today at the AT&T store when the drone told me that he could not sell me a phone outright, he had to put me on a payment plan. I was waving $$$ in his face, and he said, sorry, payment plan or no phone. LOrdy, I need a vacation, a long one. A really, really long one. Plus I am on call right now, and have a one hour response time so essentially I am glued to the house for a week.
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

Maybe a little smile here and there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPM1ifkOQ9s
r
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

MurphCID wrote:That is why I started walking 5-7 miles a day, to deal with the stress of the job.
Good measure.... Tip: in the evening, throw in an extra walk. Not necessarily as long as your primary walk.

If you have a bicycle: a bicycle is often more efficient than a walk, in getting rid of stress. More exertion in less time....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Doing 10-12 hours a day 6 six days a week.

Teaching. Which is extremely tiring and most of my students are taking short term crash courses before exams for University submission and they HAVE to pass.

Extreme pressure.

Only way out... set up my own business at end of contract.
Which, by the way, is the only way for me to get legal papers as a non-Indonesian to work here. There is an unofficial ban on foreign workers here.

Result: I am almost the last native English speaker standing to teach locals! Shattered 90% of the time.

Still, because of the gap between supply and demand I am already working out my schedule of classes for January with zero advertising! I am making it very clear up front that I will be having two days off a week!

Be grateful you don't live in Somewhere like Singapore. In Confucian societies it is held that work, indeed, overwork, is good in its own right, even if you are less productive! Worked for a school using the Singaporian based system.

14-18 hours a day seven days a week and the school actively SABOTAGED your work so you had to redo it just to keep you working and prevent any life outside of work. This is SOP in Singapore because it is believed that overwork and ill health are signs of responsibility. Plus, unpaid overtime is a sign of your loyalty and devotion to your Lord - your employer. Same pattern in Japan and Korea.

In the West there is a focus on efficiency and productivity.

IN the East it is still fuedal in thinking and work for your master - any kind of work, regardless of whether it helps anything or not - is valued above productivity that could be seen as 'disrespectful.'
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

Hey MurphCID!
MurphCID wrote:I came home from work today, and it took everything I had to not call my boss and tell him I QUIT!!!
Someone shared this (definitely NSFW) video on Facebook yesterday, and when I saw your discussion again today, I was like, "Oh, I have to send this to you."

Hopefully you're not offended by strong language, but given the nature of your post, well... I'm thinking you'll understand, and hopefully this will make you laugh.

YouTube: F**k It All - Frozen Parody

Best,

Portreve
Your intermittently humble Portreve.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MurphCID »

ROTFLMAO! That made my day.
Portreve wrote:Hey MurphCID!
MurphCID wrote:I came home from work today, and it took everything I had to not call my boss and tell him I QUIT!!!
Someone shared this (definitely NSFW) video on Facebook yesterday, and when I saw your discussion again today, I was like, "Oh, I have to send this to you."

Hopefully you're not offended by strong language, but given the nature of your post, well... I'm thinking you'll understand, and hopefully this will make you laugh.

YouTube: F**k It All - Frozen Parody

Best,

Portreve
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

MurphCID wrote:I came home from work today, and it took everything I had to not call my boss and tell him I QUIT!!! Work has been getting to be more and more of a chore to get up and go into each day. After 22 years (12 in my current position), I think I am in serious burn out. I came home and felt like a zombie, just wanting to be left alone, and enjoy some mindless babble on netflix or a movie where I don't have to think....

Sorry, needed to vent, this day SUCKED!!!!
Instead of quitting like I also intended, I waited a day.
After 288,644 locky virus emails were cleaned, (13 hour day x2) our Lawyer couldn't connect seems, to our mailserver using his <da da duhmmmmmmm> AOL...Oh Man... I love my boss Mike like a Brother, but I was "right there". Case of "Fsck it" right around the corner...

Just don't ask me about "mail" for a week. Oh and the next time LLB can't connect to our server,
he can use a browser.
Thankfully I got some sleep and the next day, I avoided Skype and "monitored" our email server for an email that didn't arrive from The Boss.

So it's all good until the next crisis. I have 9 days away from work October 1st.
Today I'm geeking out a BestBuy looking at ways to spend $1000.00 so The Boss can get a hold of me?
Erm, Tracfone or some such bargain basement service so he can reach me.
I've seen him in shell, it is not pretty. But he's a quick study and The Boss, so he's got that coming.

MurphCID: You get jammed up or want to just yell (safely) without risk, PM me.

Tomorrow is a Better Day!

This, is what we 'do'
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

How's your health?
Eat well?
Exercise?

Return to “Open chat”