Page 2 of 2

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:05 am
by InkKnife
If I eat stuff like sweet rolls, dough-nuts, oatmeal, or anything else that is just carbs and sugar for breakfast I will practically go into a coma 2 hours latter from low blood sugar. I need significant protein and fat for breakfast. I cannot get into carbs till afternoon, weird, eh?

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:23 pm
by BG405
My favourite? A "Full English" .. fried eggs, bacon, sausages, hash-browns, baked beans, peeled plum tomatoes, mushrooms etc. and a mug of strong tea with a splash of milk (no sugar) to wash it down with. There are some excellent cafés within easy walking distance and the above is around a fiver. Smaller portions (still decent) less than £3.

When in work I have cereal with milk & a bit of sugar for the extra energy, usually consumed during the morning break as it's aways a last minute dash, takes too long for the fog to clear for me to get anything before I set out. Or it's the burger van if there is one near where I'm working. (No, I don't actually eat the van! But if it was horse-drawn ..) :mrgreen:

I'd never heard of "grits" before reading this thread.

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:38 am
by MurphCID
I love the Full English, but especially love the full Irish (more potatoes), and strong tea. I am brewing my favorite right now. Anticipation of a wonderful mug of China's best.
BG405 wrote:My favourite? A "Full English" .. fried eggs, bacon, sausages, hash-browns, baked beans, peeled plum tomatoes, mushrooms etc. and a mug of strong tea with a splash of milk (no sugar) to wash it down with. There are some excellent cafés within easy walking distance and the above is around a fiver. Smaller portions (still decent) less than £3.

When in work I have cereal with milk & a bit of sugar for the extra energy, usually consumed during the morning break as it's aways a last minute dash, takes too long for the fog to clear for me to get anything before I set out. Or it's the burger van if there is one near where I'm working. (No, I don't actually eat the van! But if it was horse-drawn ..) :mrgreen:

I'd never heard of "grits" before reading this thread.

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 am
by killer de bug
BG405 wrote:I'd never heard of "grits" before reading this thread.
Me neither.
But I have a strong feeling we didn't miss anything special. :mrgreen:

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:42 am
by InkKnife
killer de bug wrote:
BG405 wrote:I'd never heard of "grits" before reading this thread.
Me neither.
But I have a strong feeling we didn't miss anything special. :mrgreen:
If you have had Cream of Wheat hot cereal you have had something pretty similar to grits (grits are corn).

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:38 am
by BG405
InkKnife wrote:If you have had Cream of Wheat hot cereal you have had something pretty similar to grits (grits are corn).
Thanks! Inspired me to have a look at this wikipedia page. :)

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:26 am
by killer de bug
I have never eaten these cereals based on Corn.
It's just the texture that don't attract me much, when I look at the pictures on google. :lol:

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:07 pm
by MurphCID
Think very soft cornbread. You can also bake it for a firmer texture (usually with cheese added). Plain grits are boring, but they do absorb the flavors of food placed on them. In South Carolina, Shrimp and Grits is a major food item. In some ways Grits are the rice of the South.
killer de bug wrote:I have never eaten these cereals based on Corn.
It's just the texture that don't attract me much, when I look at the pictures on google. :lol:

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:36 pm
by killer de bug
The thing is that in Europe we don't have that much stuff based on corn. At least in France.
We use wheat.

Image

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:46 pm
by Portreve
killer de bug wrote:The thing is that in Europe we don't have that much stuff based on corn. At least in France.
We use wheat.

Image
I introduced an ex-girlfriend of mine, who is from Australia, to grits when we were still together. She wound up buying a box to take back with her.

It's hard to point to something specific and tell someone from another country, "This is American" because so much of what is mainstream American food is pretty generic stuff. Whenever someone asks for an example of what I think of for "uniquely American" I typically point to Cajun type foods, or regional dishes from the southern U.S. Grits are about as southern as it gets.

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 pm
by MurphCID
A recent favorite has been an everything bagel with ham, ultra sharp cheddar for breakfast. The old standby of an everything bagel with cream cheese and lox is also very good. The wife likes a sesame bagel with refried beans. I add chorizo as well.

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 am
by Jim Hauser
I start the day with a couple bananas and sometimes coffee. Sometimes grits are tasty or Cajun food leftover from the night before. When I can get fresh mullet (fish) it is fried up and served with syrup (Biloxi bacon.)

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:36 am
by Nate
Half a litre of energy drink and a couple cigarettes gives me all the energy I need to start my day. I usually just go with whichever brands are on sale or are just generally cheaper.

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am
by Citizen229
My breakfast is the good ole American staple.

Pot of coffee and half a pack of Marlboros.

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:07 am
by catweazel
Citizen229 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am
My breakfast is the good ole American staple.

Pot of coffee and half a pack of Marlboros.
lmao

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:12 am
by Sir Charles
Portreve wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm
When I was growing up, there were 36 of us living in shoebox in middle of road..
Luxury!
When I was growing up, we were living in a lake.
:lol:

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am
by Portreve
MurphCID wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 pm
<-- snip -->
Jim Hauser wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 am
<-- snip -->
Nate wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:36 am
<-- snip -->
Citizen229 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am
<-- snip -->
catweazel wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:07 am
<-- snip -->
Image

Just sayin'... lol!!!
------
Marziano wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:12 am
Portreve wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm
When I was growing up, there were 36 of us living in shoebox in middle of road..
Luxury!
When I was growing up, we were living in a lake.
:lol:
*high-fives Marziano*

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:53 am
by Sir Charles
Portreve wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am
*high-fives Marziano*
Hi-5s Portreve! That reminder made my day, thanks a lot!

"Just tell it to the youth of today, they won't believe you!"
lol

Re: Breakfast fit for minor dieties (or major ones)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:44 pm
by CaptainKirksChair
Citizen229 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am
My breakfast is the good ole American staple.

Pot of coffee and half a pack of Marlboros.
(wipes a tear from his eye) -- You're my hero, man.