Chat about just about anything else
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Yahoo email hacked

Post by lexon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Happened to me about five years ago.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/200-million- ... 00456.html
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Yahoo email hacked

Post by Portreve » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:44 pm

I just heard on NPR on the way home this afternoon about the 5 + million accounts being hacked. They're trying to get bought up by Verizon, and this surely can't make them look too good to have only caught this apparently after it had been going on for two years. Just wow...

I used to have a YahooMail account, and it had gotten hacked (several years ago). I changed the password several times, but it didn't make any difference, though of course they could only tell me I needed to change the password. Pretty tone deaf, if you ask me.

The only resolution I could come up with was to terminate the account. As I had already long since switched over to Gmail, I didn't really care, but I've just never really been a fan of Yahoo since then.

I hope to heck Verizon really knows what they're getting themselves into with that acquisition.
Zen Buddhism: The Journey Is The Reward
Realist: The Gurney Is The Reward

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

“They said my computer wasn't strong enough for Windows 10, so I had to get one with more strongerness.”
— Overheard random customer

Cwashpimp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cwashpimp » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:01 pm

I constantly get emails from my old yahoo account getting suspicious log in attempts from China. I too switched to gmail and gave up on yahoo.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Yea, Yahoo has been slowly going downhill at least the past six or so years. Maybe more.
I got my account in 1998 and not near as good as it use to be. Even the techies messed with the Groups.
When we log in, another full page opens with the warning and "Click here" which seems to be an official Yahoo page.
It would not surprise me to find out hackers are trying to phish pretty soon.

Yahoo email is always slow.
I also have a gmail account and much better in almost all respects. I sometimes send between accounts to check Yahoo.
They totally messed up the formatting in the PC version.
Iphone and iPad versions still ok.
The Yahoo News page is the pits. Loaded with pop ups, videos, maybe Gifs, etc. Really lame advertising.
I switched to Google quite a few years ago.

Life moves on.
Time's fun when you are having flies.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:06 pm

I have a few family who use to use Yahoo email and gave up after it was hacked some years ago. They did not know they should have at least changed the password and then gave it up.

L

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:20 pm

I am going to kill off my Yahoo account tonight. I am tired of constant hacks and poor cyber security.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:22 pm

the trick is to use the yahoo account as the backup account to Gmail:
ie: where the Gmail reset eMail goes, when you forget your Gmail password.
- otherwise, you almost never use Yahoo mail.

had a AOL account, for this backup reason, but finally did close that one.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:33 pm

i just signed in to my yahoo accnt (also had it since way back in '98) and i'm surprised i only had 4 junk e-mail. best thing to do is NEVER link any of your e-mails to your mobile phone number. that's always annoys me i have to get through a few pages of extra click here to secure your acccount with your mobile phone just to get to my e-mails. i haven't checked it in a few months, everything is still there i guess i wasn't worth hacking

only losers with no life would hack a grandmas e-mail to get her credit card numbers

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:45 pm

Very good point.
Pierre wrote:the trick is to use the yahoo account as the backup account to Gmail:
ie: where the Gmail reset eMail goes, when you forget your Gmail password.
- otherwise, you almost never use Yahoo mail.

had a AOL account, for this backup reason, but finally did close that one.

mwbworld
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mwbworld » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:53 pm

I can't say I'm surprise either about the hack or that Yahoo took so long to "mention" it.

I still have a residual account there for a couple of e-mail lists I subscribe to (I only had the initial one because of list I used to run there which is pretty much dead because everyone's on facebook.)

But I went ahead and changed the password and yanked the security questions. It does bug me when security questions are taken because so many places use the same set of questions rather than let you create one - which makes it harder to change than a password.

I can't fathom how they anyone would buy them...
- Michael

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 am

I still have not gotten any notice from Yahoo about the hack. That is the definition of irresponsible in this day and age. I am migrating all my emails to Gmail, which seems more secure.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:38 pm

"hacked" ?

compromised no doubt but then, given what has been shared to us by Snowden,-- starting with PRISM

i use CoreComm service myself--

https://webmanager.core.com/index.php
¡Viva la Resistencia!

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:53 am

Notes from Bruce Schneier

Excerpt
Other companies have been quick to deny that they did the same thing, but I generally don't believe those carefully worded statements about what they have and haven't done. We do know that the NSA uses bribery, coercion, threat, legal compulsion, and outright theft to get what they want. We just don't know which one they use in which case.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Further Reading:
Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter Provided Data Access for a Surveillance Product Marketed to Target Activists [snip]
Reference

ACLU (Essay)
¡Viva la Resistencia!

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:06 am

in evaluating this -- and other questions -- it's important to remember how un-reliable the pundits are,....

Morning Reading ( this is good for grins )

In Hindsight... Infamous Tech Industry Predictions and Quotations
By Graham Singer on October 13, 2016
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open chat”