{Solved}Feedback on The Brave Browser

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

{Solved}Feedback on The Brave Browser

Post by oldcharlie »

Mint Community,
I have been using the new Brave browser for about a week and really like it so far.

Code: Select all
https://brave.com/

I am using an AMD 6300 processor, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 95 video card, Crucial BX200 240GB SSD,
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P MB.
Operating System is Linux Mint 64 bit 17.3 with Cinnamon Desktop.

Correction to my comment (In another thread) about Brave .7 being in Beta. The version on my computer is 0.12.9, not sure if that is Beta but, I don't think it is. I haven't seen any problems to date and I love the clean look and fast response. Personally I like the idea of blocking trackers, fingerprinting, malware ads and the ability to enable safe ads and pay your regularly visited web sites. Even though I use ublock with Firefox I always enable ads on useful pages and white list my regular sites.

From what I read and see Brave is a better world but, I have only had a week with this browser and I don't see everything. It would be nice and helpful to get some feed back from more knowledgeable users than me. I welcome both positive and negative comments just as long as you don't punch me out. Seriously, I really want to hear from you. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 64 bit; 4.15.0-72 Kernel; Core i5-6260U, 16GB, Intel Iris Graphics 540
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox alternative (64 bit)

Post by racer-x »

oldcharlie wrote:I have been using brave

Code: Select all

https://brave.com/
for the last week. This morning it was removed when I updated Firefox. Synaptic Package Manager reported it as a broken package and removed it. I assume that is because it isn't yet in the repositories. My first impressions (ignorant though they may be) were good. Many things to like about this new browser but I don't have a lot of background on just how well it works and it's proven security. I believe it is still Beta, latest release is .7 Dev.

I logged on this morning with the intent of posting a request for feedback about brave and will still do that. I don't intend to hijack your post, just adding to the other alternatives mentioned to your query. Best of luck.
I've installed it. It reported errors, but installed and is working OK anyway. It seems OK, however I can't see any advantage over chromium other than it displays loading times for each website loaded.....

Either give a good reason to keep this, or I will delete.
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Looking for Feedback on The Brave Browser

Post by oldcharlie »

racer-x
My interest in brave was mainly because it has a lot of built in security and privacy - if everything works as advertised. I think that is a good idea. I don't have the skills to investigate network packets to really see if the browser actually does what they say. Was looking for additional information.
I still use Firefox and have several add-ons that help with spying, tracking and fingerprinting. Nothing is really secure these days and I was hoping that maybe Brave would handle that in the browser with out having to add additional software. I'm probably dreaming.

Right now I can't give you a good reason do keep using Brave if you don't see anything worth while yourself.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 64 bit; 4.15.0-72 Kernel; Core i5-6260U, 16GB, Intel Iris Graphics 540
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
wong

Post by wong »

I read it a while back as replacing the usual advertising with Brave approved ads but never got around to giving it a spin. It was created by one of the Co-founders of Mozilla Brendan Eich who has since left Mozilla.

It's an interesting project, I've spent a lot of time on Firefox and will be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks for bringing it back to my attention, I'd completely forgotten about it since first hearing about it at the start of the year.
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oldcharlie »

deepakdeshp wrote:I hope this helps.
http://www.techworld.com/security/best- ... 6-3246550/
Thanks - that just increased my questions by a factor of 10. Just kidding, yes it helps some but this old man is astounded by the number of browsers that I didn't even know existed. I keep going in circles reading one review after another. I really like the approach that Brave is taking, especially in removing the malicious tracking and fingerprinting which I consider criminal.

Personally I am still using Firefox with extensions that do make using the web more secure. However, I am using Brave today and will continue occasionally just out of curiosity.
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oldcharlie »

wong wrote:I read it a while back as replacing the usual advertising with Brave approved ads but never got around to giving it a spin. It was created by one of the Co-founders of Mozilla Brendan Eich who has since left Mozilla.

It's an interesting project, I've spent a lot of time on Firefox and will be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks for bringing it back to my attention, I'd completely forgotten about it since first hearing about it at the start of the year.
Your welcome. I too find it interesting and haven't given up. Just trying and watching the growth of this very new browser. Brendan Eich was the reason that I was initially attracted to this browser.
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved} Re: Looking for Feedback on The Brave Browser

Post by oldcharlie »

oldcharlie is marking this as solved as it appears the interest has run it's course. Thanks to everyone that responded.
Charlie
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I just downloaded and installed Brave and will try it out when I get the chance. I too am interested in all the browsers out there.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

It's been several months since I've used Brave, but this thread got me interested again...
Wow! It's improved a lot! It's definitely going to be competing with Chrome as my backup browser, and if they keep improving it it might even replace (or supplement) Firefox as my main browser.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Gave it a go yesterday. Quite impressed BUT cannot find a way to add Extensions. I use Xmarks on all the browsers I have installed PaleMoon (default), Firefox, Flashpeak, Vivaldi) and find it essential to keep all of my bookmarks synchronised.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Citizen229

Re: {Solved}Feedback on The Brave Browser

Post by Citizen229 »

I am trying it and liking it so far. Its a bit heavy for my netbook, but that s ok midori works just fine for it. As for my desktop. LOVE IT. I have a satellite connection out here in the middle of nowhere. I have a data limit much like phones do. Brave default with turning on html5 blocker is going to save me some data. It pretty much shuts down everything on yahoo's front page. I use this as a test page because it is known for being that bad. the autoplaying videos are blocked and have a play button for me to opt to loading. Firefox takes 2 or 3 extensions and a config modification to pull of what brave does by default plus one click. And so far brave does it better. GIFs still load. Looking for something to cure that, may have to put in a request. But so far VERY impressed.

Return to “Open Chat”