Google is playing God

Chat about just about anything else
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Google is playing God

Post by powerhouse »

A couple of days ago I noticed a very disturbing news story: Google had banned people from Google accounts because they violated some Google purchase terms for Pixel phones. I couldn't believe what I read! Here is the source: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/98444

Now, those people may or may not have violated the purchase terms of Google Pixel phones, but what the heck has that to do with banning those people from their email accounts, cloud storage, etc., etc.?

Without prior warning, those people lost access to their mail with no ability to retrieve vital mails or information.

I am no lawyer, but I sincerely hope that these very people file a class action suit against Google for misappropriation of personal data and proprietary information, as well as for all the damages they had to incur as a result of Google's inappropriate action.

This act of Google raises some important questions:

Who is the owner of emails (both emails received and sent)?

Does a service provider have the right to ban people from accessing their data (email, cloud storage, etc.) without a legal warrant issued by a duly appointed judge?

By banning users from accessing their own data, did Google commit a crime?

Even if the victims of "Google playing God" are not going to court, a state prosecutor should look into this. Google, in the meantime, could fire the responsible executive as well as legal council who approved this action, revert the action taken, and distance itself from this act by publicly denouncing the act and those behind it.

If things like that can happen without consequences for the perpetrators, we are in big trouble. I hope Google and its employees are sensitive enough to realize the damage they have done and make sure such a thing never happens again.
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro, AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU, 2x32GB Corsair DDR4, water cooler, GTX 970 + Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Samsung 500GB + 1TB NVMe + Samsung Evo 1TB SSD + 4 HDD, Corsair 500R, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS https://heiko-sieger.info
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Google is playing God

Post by Moem »

Just another fine reason to stop using it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

If you are afraid of this, use Thunderbird or Evolution to access your google email.
Then you will get a local copy.

Additional advantage, you can encrypt your mails.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Moem wrote:Just another fine reason to stop using it.
Could you please recommend Qwant in your list? https://www.qwant.com/
It's a good European alternative. Even if my favorite is still DDG.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

killer de bug wrote:Could you please recommend Qwant in your list?
I'd never heard of that but it looks good to me, so that's a yes and a thank you!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

I'm sure you have heard about them even if you didn't know them. Google just copied their logo when they got afraid of them: http://heavy.com/tech/2015/09/did-googl ... suit-icon/
:mrgreen:

Sorry, all the funny links are in french. :lol:
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

killer de bug wrote: https://www.qwant.com/
It's a good European alternative.
Never heard of it either it does seem to be pretty cool going to give it a try and see how it works for me.

Thanks for the link killer de bug
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Lesson: never give google money.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

The Old Timer wrote:Never heard of it either it does seem to be pretty cool going to give it a try and see how it works for me.
They have also the !bang like DDG: https://www.qwant.com/qwick
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

killer de bug wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:Never heard of it either it does seem to be pretty cool going to give it a try and see how it works for me.
They have also the !bang like DDG: https://www.qwant.com/qwick
Cool will check into that.

Thanks again killer de bug
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Since Mozilla uses Google wouldn't that mean a user would have to stop using Mozilla?
Most if not all Mozilla browsers use Google or am I wrong.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

The Old Timer wrote:
Since Mozilla uses Google wouldn't that mean a user would have to stop using Mozilla?
What do you mean here by 'using Google'?
And of course, it depends on which goal that user wants to accomplish.

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Moem wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:
What do you mean here by 'using Google'?
And of course, it depends on which goal that user wants to accomplish.
Isn't the search engine in Mozilla Google?
In the Ubuntu when you open the browser first thing that appears is start page with Google same with Linux Mint search bar "Google Custom search".
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Mozilla has partnerships with the major search engines. And it varies with time.
It depends of your platform and your country. They have dumped Google a few years ago to use Yahoo. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/10- ... lt/120718/
They have had also an agreement with Microsoft to use Bing as default: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts ... ewal-talk/.
In Russia and Turkey, they have had a deal with Yandex. https://blog.mozilla.org/press/2015/03/ ... in-turkey/

But this is only for the default search engine. It takes two minutes to set your default one and not use google anymore. My Firefox is set for DDG, it wasn't the case at the beginning.

Edit: in addition, Mint had their own partnership with search engines like Google and now Yahoo. I think DDG is/was also part of the deal. This doesn't take into account the default search engine from Mozilla. Linux Mint repackages their own version of Firefox.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Ok that makes better sense. :)

I use DDG.
I use Dillo (which is a real trip).

Always learning something new. 8)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

“We identified a scheme in which consumers were asked to purchase Pixel devices on behalf of a reseller, who then marked-up the cost of those devices in order to resell them to other customers. We prohibit the commercial resale of devices purchased through Project Fi or the Google Store so everyone has an equal opportunity to purchase devices at a fair price. Many of the accounts suspended were created for the sole purpose of this scheme. After investigating the situation, we are restoring access to genuine accounts for customers who are locked out of many Google services they rely on.”
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Members of my wife's family, who are religious ask me sometimes why I am not. I have always (several years already) answered:
The internet is my religion and Google is my god.
Whenever I have a question, I ask Google and I get answers.

Now it has become true. Wow. How did I know?

But after reading altair 4's story it turns out the soup is not eaten as hot as it is served.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

killer de bug wrote:It takes two minutes to set your default one and not use google anymore.
Exactly. I have my SeaMonkey and Pale Moon set to use Startpage.

Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Doug B »

Indeed.

I use DuckDuckGo as a search engine replacement for Google because a) They don't track you and b)They aren't Google.

Doug
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

DeMus wrote:Members of my wife's family, who are religious ask me sometimes why I am not. I have always (several years already) answered:
The internet is my religion and Google is my god.
Whenever I have a question, I ask Google and I get answers.

Now it has become true. Wow. How did I know?

But after reading altair 4's story it turns out the soup is not eaten as hot as it is served.
That one I had to do a search on. And yes, of course I used Google:
De soep wordt nooit zo heet gegeten als ze wordt opgediend.
Literal translation: 'The soup is never eaten as hot as it is served'.
Meaning: Things are usually not as bad as they first appear
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Open chat”