Microsoft tells devs: Whatever you're doing in Linux, Windows 10 will soon do it too

Chat about just about anything else
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Microsoft tells devs: Whatever you're doing in Linux, Windows 10 will soon do it too

Post by lexon »

Should produce a little discussion.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/mic ... do-it-too/

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Microsoft tells devs: Whatever you're doing in Linux, Windows 10 will soon do it too

Post by earthlingkc »

I'll bite. The reason I don't use Windows anymore (as primary) is because of Win bloat (can install Linux on old/low spec systems), easier to get malware (relative to Linux) and questionable Win privacy issues even if manually turning all off (MS tracking your usage now).

Doing Linux functions or running Linux apps on Windows wouldn't attract me back as it doesn't address any of those items. Am not a PC gamer so no longer use Windows as a primary anymore and have converted all systems to Linux as primary boot. Have converted Windows licenses to VMs under Linux and only apps I use for Windows are tax app and Logitech remote config app.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Microsoft tells devs: Whatever you're doing in Linux, Windows 10 will soon do it too

Post by MintBean »

Microsoft can stuff it where the sun don't shine, as far as I'm concerned.

If all this 'MS loves Linux' trash we've been hearing recently is true, why are they trying to steal Linux users away to Windows?

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

Yes! ...as soon as all the silly MS updates and patches are installed. Then, maybe one can do with it the same things too. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

and they just keep digging deeper and deeper.
woo them: another article in that series
Microsoft woos open source developers by joining the Linux Foundation

To be successful, Microsoft must entice developers to build apps that use its cloud services. Several key announcements aim to do just that.
Sounds like the bully that lost the fight to force the girl of his affection to be with him now he's trying to woo her :lol:

I got a better idea, just get rid of windows altogether and get the software companies programming for linux instead.
Problem solved. 8)

Nice try to get rid of double booting and hopefully keep some of there user base, looks like they're liking cancer now (what they once called linux).
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

:lol: GNU/Windows :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows 10 will be better

Post by Pierre »

well - - maybe not windows, but with Office:

story/
the win-8 machine upgraded to win-10, last year.
& a copy of Office 2016 was installed about then as well.
- fast forward a year:
Office has now expired & the auto-renewal Failed.
& the Microsoft Account won't accept the new C/C details :!:
so - buy a 'card' from the local bigbox store.
& using the 'product key' from the back of that card:
so then - the Microsoft Account accepts the new 'product key':
& it now won't download the "setup program" :!:
so it gives a "Can't Verify Subscription" error

now whilst searching that error:
& a Microsoft Tech Support chat pops up
so then, the Tech Support gets told the "story"
& spends 45min 'finding a solution'
so the customer "gives up" & terminates the "chat"

now the Office has still *not* been 'renewed'
& the customer has blown some $$$ on a 'product card'
- that didn't help

so the 'Tech' installs a copy of WPS Office on their machine
& says "try that out" & if you don't like it, then another alternative can be tried out.

/end story
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

"Whatever you're doing in Linux, Windows 10 will soon do it too" ?
Seriously? I'm installing and reinstalling Linux for free. Have no antivirus...
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

ostracized
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ostracized »

Open up the kernel so anyone can analyze the code and compile it yourself? Yeah, didn't think so, Nadella. I'd love to hear Stallman's thoughts on this.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

microsoft-tells-devs-whatever-youre-doing-in-linux-windows-10-will-soon-do-it-too
They're going to support EXT4 and the like? Get rid of the adware/spyware/malware platform that's integral to Windows 10? Well, then, I guess I'd better move everything back over to my Windows partition.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Probably they implemented: "ls -ls" instead of "dir" or something like this? :?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I read this differently. From the link in the first post:
Turner emphasises on some of the developments through the latest Windows 10 Insiders’ build that are already bridging the gap between Windows and the open source world. “Fire up a Windows 10 Insiders’ build instance and run your code, run your tools, host your websites on Apache, access your MySQL database from your Java code,” he mentions.
Microsoft is targeting professional developers working for Fortune 500 companies. Increasingly these developers are writing things using macOS as their development platform to run on Red Hat servers.

I'd bet the farm that Microsoft isn't targeting Linux on the desktop which I would guess it considers irrelevant.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

noviceLinuxMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noviceLinuxMint »

Just because it will do doesn't mean people will use Windows 10.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

Take back control of updates?
Have a choice of what to install and what not to install? (Candy Crush Saga? Telemetry?)
Have a large repository of free open source software and the ability to contribute code?
And, as mentioned by ostracized, have a look at the Kernel? (Or any Windows software, for that matter?)
Install the OS on whatever machines you wish, without expensive licensing?

Developers also have the ability to do these things with Linux, so, "Whatever you're doing in Linux" is a dubious statement at best.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

MintBean wrote:Microsoft can stuff it where the sun don't shine, as far as I'm concerned.

If all this 'MS loves Linux' trash we've been hearing recently is true, why are they trying to steal Linux users away to Windows?
MS doesn't give a flying frak about Linux users per se, it's all about the servers. MS has actually been one of the biggest corporate contributors to the Linux kernel project for years, along with a number of other corporate heavyweights. It's the idea that Linux is an escape from corporatism that's trash ...

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

Hoser Rob wrote:It's the idea that Linux is an escape from corporatism that's trash ...
Microsoft cannot force me to submit to their spying as they do on Windows.
I do not have to see Microsoft advertising as I do on Windows.
I do not have my computer dictate when I have to install an update and shutdown as I do in Windows.
I do not have to pay Microsoft as I do for Windows.
I can swap hardware in and out without licence issues as there are in Windows.

So whilst I agree that corporates are still involved, I'm feeling pretty damn free in any way that counts and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

BG405 wrote:"Whatever you're doing in Linux" is a dubious statement at best.
Vague and ambiguous also.
Microsoft has pledged that Windows 10 will eventually run the bulk of Linux software used by developers.
So "used by developers"... Who's devs?

#smells_like_Clickbait. (ars article, not this post)

Return to “Open chat”