Why I still prefer Windows over Linux

Chat about just about anything else
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why I still prefer Windows over Linux

Post by borg101 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Petermint wrote:Microsoft are well known for never fixing some problems. Many years ago, I reported a serious problem and supplied a fix. The next release of Windows contained the same problem because they cut the development version of Windows before applying my fix. I tried to report the problem and fix for the new release but Microsoft said I had to pay a $135 service fee to report the problem. That is one area where Linux saves some money. :shock:

Microsoft did not get the $135. Some computers under my control switched to Linux. Based on the feedback from my publishing stories like that, somewhere over 10,000 desktop computers switched to Linux.

Unfortunately most of those organisations have to keep some computers running Windows. My posts here are about why I have to keep Windows running on at least one computer. The discussion should help the development of Linux. Instead I find people saying we should somehow treat Linux as a special case.

We officially do not like Windows because new releases introduce errors but we have to like Linux despite a new release introducing errors plus regressions. We officially do not like Windows because the new user interface is dumb compared to the previous release but we have to like it when Linux does exactly the same.
I've reported bugs with no fee. Some were fixed and some were not. I don't assume to be the first or last person to report a bug. I highly doubt any developer would purposefully leave in bugs. Sometimes fixing one bug involves creating 2 or 3 or even more.

The discussion is not to treat Linux as a special case. Merely to start a dialogue to consider suggestions and ideas.

As for "we" "officially" not liking windows, that's a blanket statement. Almost every new iteration and patch for every OS, as well as 3rd party software, comes with bug fixes and new bugs. Stating that the user interface is "dumb", when many distros have copied it, is not only an opinion but nonsensical as well. UI's are inherently subjective. I've developed UI's for several apps within my company and are all equally criticized. When one feature is changed team "x" complains. When it goes back to the old way, team "y" complains. The bottom line is, you consider the over all average user experience and go from there. Linux and Windows, as well as OSx all do the same thing. Just in different ways. Neither are "dumb", just different.

Also, you don't have to like a new UI, Windows, Linux, or otherwise. Just like Linux, you are free to change your UI in Windows and OSx. There are a ton of 3rd party UI's for almost every OS. Everyone's got a preference. For instance, while I dislike OSx, my favorite UI is Pantheon.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pdhunter1987 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:38 pm

borg101 wrote: Also, you don't have to like a new UI, Windows, Linux, or otherwise. Just like Linux, you are free to change your UI in Windows and OSx. There are a ton of 3rd party UI's for almost every OS.
:lol:

Sorry to nitpick but i am genuinely interested in this statement.

What are these "ton of 3rd party UI's for almost every OS"?
I simply know windows to use the same exact UI as every other, win8 changed drastically and win10 change slightly, now more modern.

"Just like Linux?"
I would hardly compare windows or OSX to being able to freely change the UI.

I could be wrong but OSX and Windows use a similar "desktop environment" its called "boring".
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:09 am

"borg101 wrote:
Also, you don't have to like a new UI, Windows, Linux, or otherwise. Just like Linux, you are free to change your UI in Windows and OSx. There are a ton of 3rd party UI's for almost every OS."

what? Historically,Microsoft makes you walk over burning coals, with broken glass in your underwear just to uninstall IE. Cortana is now unremovable, as well as Edge. and you are going to try and tell me windows is customizable? When they wont even let you decide what programs to install or not install?

" Breaker One Nine, we got us a troll at the bridge ahead. Use caution. Contact the Smokies so they can pick him up"
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 am

Windows 10 UI configurable ? Are you having a laugh ? Seriously there's less choice than on almost any OS I've ever seen. You can have fluggly or fluggly. You can't uninstall edge or cortana. You can't completely block telemetry. You can't run individual updates. (on windows 7 you're lucky if you can get it to update at all....). And then there are the bsods....

kiwig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwig » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:33 am

AscLinux wrote:I think you are posting on a wrong forum, this forum is about Linux and using Linux.
Linux is everywhere, in your wrist watch, in your router, smartTV, etc. Stating Linux is nowhere is extremely shortsighted.
As a matter of fact you qualify as a troll. :(
Don't think so. He has a very valid point to question it.
(A reply to second post)

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:03 am

Given that Windows is bad because we cannot remove Internet Explorer, OSX must be evil because of itunes. :evil:

One of the reasons for switching from Ubuntu to Linux Mint was all the stuff I did not want that was preconfigured into Ubuntu.
Ubuntu = Windows 10. You have to spend a lot of time removing stuff.
Linux Mint = Windows 7 or XP. you just use it.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:36 am

I think what the OP meant by "free to change your UI in Windows" [sic] (s)he was referring to those 3rd party programs that allows you to customize the look and feel of the standard Windows desktop. Customizations like changing the theme, icons, adding a dock-like panel, applets on screen, et al. Commercial programs from Stardock comes to mind. (Do an image search in your favorite search site to see examples.)

When I was still on Windows many years ago, I remember using the free program called RocketDock so I can have an idea what's it like to be on a Mac, at least on a program launcher level.

'Customizing the UI' is a subjective term; it depends on who you ask. Perhaps from the OP's POV, the level of customization only goes as far as what I mentioned at the beginning of my post. For desktop Linux users, customization goes beyond the basic UI changes. Not only can we change the theme, placement of panels and such, but we also have the option to choose a completely different DE, the preferred init system, window manager, display server, [almost?] every aspect of a Linux system, even build a distro from scratch.

P.S. And just a friendly reminder, keep an open mind and let's maintain a friendly & civilized discussion. :D
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:29 pm

pdhunter1987 wrote:
borg101 wrote: Also, you don't have to like a new UI, Windows, Linux, or otherwise. Just like Linux, you are free to change your UI in Windows and OSx. There are a ton of 3rd party UI's for almost every OS.
Sorry to nitpick but i am genuinely interested in this statement.

What are these "ton of 3rd party UI's for almost every OS"?
I'm guessing that the "3rd party UI's" are mostly boxes that hold icons.

A few years ago I could only find two replacement desktops (environments) for Win 7 - "bblean" (which is what I used: http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/) and an abandoned, complicated and hard to use setup from Germany whose name is now a repressed memory.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

kiwig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwig » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:08 am

I'll add a couple of lines reflecting the installing of scanner and printer on a network on Mint Sarah.
For about 5 years I have worked through an OSX system and half of that time within a VM due to CAD software. It has been straight forward for most of the time. So all in all mostly I have worked through Win OS's with a stint on PCLOS.
The installing of the printer/scanner in Mint has been the longest I have ever used anywhere for a printer scanner. Admitting it is a step-up from OSX, as a near beginner to Linux . For most if not all people I know this would've been impossible.
These lines are also to give a little support to the thread opener. I'm trying to be objective as possible......
Still I would like to give a go with Linux as W10 (and OSX)has gone to far for my taste. A big job is just trying to lock sniffers out and I don't want to do that at a constant rate.
So far so good , Linux :)

Return to “Open chat”